Admission to Undergraduate MBBS based on GPA (1 Viewer)

iamshaw

HSC
As far as i understand, the normal school leavers will have to reach a UAI cut off to be eligible for admission into med. Then, it is based upon UMAT and interview scores respectively.

I have completed 2 years of a bachelors degree. For persons such as myself who have completed tertiary study and (obviously) have GPAs, does anyone know if there is a cut-off for GPAs (e.g. D average etc), or is there a different procedure concerning such cases?

jared

joelv

HSC
For applicants who have completed at least one year of full time study (or its part time equiv.) the cut off GPA is 5.5. So between credit and distinction average. After that its umat and interview which determine who is offered a place.

Hope that helps

iamshaw

HSC
Is it possible that a higher GPA (for example 6.2 or 6.5) would assist
the admission process, or is it SOLELY umat and interview scores after
having made the cut-off?

Thanks,

jared

joelv

HSC
Um as far as I'm aware, after you reach the UAI/GPA hurdle its only interview and Umat which count (with a heavier weighting on interview)..

unless you are trying to gain entry through UWS's Advanced science stream in which interview places are offered to the top 6 based on umat and GPA scores. Once you recieve an interview then positions will be offered based only on umat and interview scores again.

In saying that it can never hurt to have a higher than the cut off GPA.

TheMelissa

God Complex
HSC
Wow, misinformation ahoy!

In case it hasn't been worked out yet, the GPA cutoff truly exceeded the published 5.5 this year. (The lowest I've heard of so far is 6.2.) Like the UAI threshold which takes the top 95th percentile of applicants, it was the top 5% of tertiary applications that were deemed to satisfy the academic requirements. After that, offers are based on the 1:2 UMAT:interview scores.

In any case, keep the marks up. UWS is all about supply and demand. Quite frankly, the bar is raising and I wouldn't be surprised if next year's cohort were to face an even more stringest admissions process.

(It's like they're waking up and realising "Oh wow-- this shit is really popular! We're totally, like, almost a respected university!" :eek: )

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)