adv vs ext (1 Viewer)

xieruyun

HSC
Is there much difference between advanced maths and extension 1 maths?
I feel like there are some aspects of ext maths that I don't really understand and I find that advanced is much easier.
Would there be much difference in scaling? Because i feel like compared to my classmates in ext1 I'm much more behind.

ps: I'm aiming for 90+ atar, I'm also doing eco, bio, adv eng, chem

Last edited:

carrotsss

HSC
maths ext 1 is a subject in addition to maths advanced, you are still studying maths adv as well if you’re studying ext

maths ext 1 does have very good scaling - all this means is that it’s a harder subject, so if you get a lower mark it contributes the same to your ATAR as a higher mark in another subject

as long as you are doing decently well (like if you at least pass prelims) then it’s probably worth keeping. the lower marks can be disheartening but it’s a hard subject and scaling accounts for this, I know a lot of people who spent all of year 11/12 thinking they were failing ext 1 only to end up with E3s and a significant boost to their ATARs. also if ur planning on studying anything stem related in uni then it’ll help a fair bit in your first semester to have that background knowledge

Aeonium

HSC
N/A
Is there much difference between advanced maths and extension 1 maths?
I feel like there are some aspects of ext maths that I don't really understand and I find that advanced is much easier.
Would there be much difference in scaling? Because i feel like compared to my classmates in ext1 I'm much more behind.

ps: I'm aiming for 90+ atar, I'm also doing eco, bio, adv eng, chem
yes advanced is much much easier but way more boring FUCK FINANCE AND STATS it's more of a silly mistakes game

extension has more room for them to toss in interesting questions (which can be good or bad depending on how much work you put in)
correspondingly extension scales quite well compared to adv

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)