Advanced English and 3U English? (1 Viewer)

slowdanceee

HSC
A lot of people I know want to do Advanced English, but are choosing 3U English instead for the Prelim course, only to drop down back to Adv. Eng for the HSC course because they say after doing 3U Eng in prelim course they would have worked on harder stuff hence finding Adv Eng in HSC course easier?

I don't really see any sense in doing so because I've always thought Adv and Ext 1 learnt different things?

Mmm if anyone would be able to clear my doubts on this it would be much appreciated! :)

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
slowdanceee said:
A lot of people I know want to do Advanced English, but are choosing 3U English instead for the Prelim course, only to drop down back to Adv. Eng for the HSC course because they say after doing 3U Eng in prelim course they would have worked on harder stuff hence finding Adv Eng in HSC course easier?

I don't really see any sense in doing so because I've always thought Adv and Ext 1 learnt different things?

Mmm if anyone would be able to clear my doubts on this it would be much appreciated! :)
I was considering doing this, and Im still doing ext english but now considering EE2. But whatever.

Its not so much the content or what novels you study, but the extra skills you are taught in the ext course, which can be applied to the advanced course. I know of alot of people who do the same thing but with Advanced and Standard.

HSC
i think that's true for 3U math and advanced math, but i doubt it'd be right for english.

AussieVesti

Retired Account
HSC
To be honest, I don't think I've learnt any extra skills in English Extention 1 in comparison to English Advanced. It may work according to the preferences of your English faculty but I have to say EE1 has had absolutely NO effect on how I've performed in English Advanced.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I think people do it just to fill up 12 units in year 11 and then drop it in year 12 because you only need 10 units.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
I guess Advanced English addresses issues more like:
"How the composers have constructed the texts and used certain techniques in order to represent certain themes"

Extension One English is more like:
"How are the values and contexts of the composer reflected in the framework of the constructed text."

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
Dont do it unless you actually like english.

I did EE1 in year 11 to make up 12 units (because I didnt want to do a whole extra 2 unit subject), and although I came first in it, I hated it. EE1 involves a lot of work on top of the work you do in class, especially because you will only have about 2 periods a week, but as much work as you have in advanced.

And honestly, I dont really think it benefited me that much, because the modules we studied dont really relate.

slowdanceee

HSC
midifile said:
Dont do it unless you actually like english.

I did EE1 in year 11 to make up 12 units (because I didnt want to do a whole extra 2 unit subject), and although I came first in it, I hated it. EE1 involves a lot of work on top of the work you do in class, especially because you will only have about 2 periods a week, but as much work as you have in advanced.

And honestly, I dont really think it benefited me that much, because the modules we studied dont really relate.
oh okayy! :)
haha i don't like english. it's like my weakest subject as well, so i picked adv the in initial subject survery thing.

thanks for the advice!

ital101

HSC
slowdanceee said:
oh okayy! :)
haha i don't like english. it's like my weakest subject as well, so i picked adv the in initial subject survery thing.

thanks for the advice!
EE1 is awesome. Anyone who says otherwise is ...they're either lazy or ignorant (oh damn massive generalisation, that ain't going to score me any brownie points :D ) Anyhow, I do ENGAD and EE1. Love them both, it was great to read Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird at the beginning of the year, because I'd read it in Yr 9 and now that I've read it again I picked up a whole lot of stuff I did not realise/notice before.

EE1 is very rewarding too, as you get to read lots of classics, as well as see appropriations of ideas and concepts from books in movies. The classics are really good, Sense and Sensibility was much better than expected - but don't be alarmed, there are much better books you get to read in Preliminary English Extension. I think we might get to do George Orwell soon, but I'm not sure. Oh and the teacher gave us an assignment on Charles's Dickens A Tale of Two Cities, which was just excellent. I loved the ending - wonderful. Oh and then there was the assignment where we read a classic of our choice and completed an essay on it, again - very good (I chose Anna Sewell's Black Beauty, which was just amazing.

Sorry to rave, but as you can see - I really enjoy English (Advanced) and English (Extension 1). I suppose my ranks reflect that. At the end of the day, it's up to you and your personal interests - you said it's a weak subject for you, well maybe you could change that if :hammer: knocked all your negative thoughts to ruined shards like broken toffee and decided to take it to improve your skills. You never know - you might enjoy it!

Wow. Longest. Post. Ever. - Rico

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC
EXT IS EASIER THAN ADVANCED.

i hate adv, but love ext. contrary to other posts i think ext is less work. by far. in yr 12 you only need to now one topic (crime fiction for me), that 3 prescribed plus related. the exam is two hrs long with one essay and one creative to write.

but end ad...

area of study + 3 modules. thats 4 different essays (including quotes etc) to remember. + a creative. and 40 mins per essay (20 mins LESS than ext). grr i hate it so much.

but unfortunately you have to do ad to do ext...:(

HSC
EX1 varies wildly by school. At my school there is virtually no work and we do an interesting module and elective. At others there might be loads of work and dead boring texts for their module/elective.

However the extra practise you get writing essays in extension is useful, and it's a good way to fill the 12th unit to do the least work possible in year 11 if you do MX1 as well.

wendus

krawr.
HSC
true for maths, not true for english. you learn about completely different things in adv and ext.

lionking1191

HSC
Aplus said:
I guess Advanced English addresses issues more like:
"How the composers have constructed the texts and used certain techniques in order to represent certain themes"

Extension One English is more like:
"How are the values and contexts of the composer reflected in the framework of the constructed text."
..that EE1 question has an eerie resemblance to a Mod B essay for Adv...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)