• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Advanced English vs. Standard English (1 Viewer)

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
So basically, what you're saying is that it does not matter whether we choose Advanced or Standard, we should still end up with the same raw mark. That is just stupid and pointless.

Although I'm only currently doing the Area of Study, I find Standard very boring, and Fundamentals is a waste of time. Basically 75% of my class is made up of bludgers and people who can't do basic reading and writing, and being a selective student who thrives on competition to excel, I think I should have gone for Advanced and maybe Extension (just to fill up 12 units) and replace Standard and Fundamentals, since I've heard that it is more interesting and worthwhile than 2 unit English. If I do change to Advanced and Extension, I might consider keeping them for the HSC because Extension scales pretty well. That would be a dramatic change; from Standard and Fundamentals to Advanced and Extension...

Anyway these are just my thoughts...

Last edited:

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
0Jade0 said:
If your doing fundamentals, how are you going to handle advanced?
I HAVE to do Fundamentals because my school can only support 12 units. I have a 1 unit gap after choosing all my subjects inlcuding English. So as a result, I am forced to do 1 unit Fundamentals, which is a waste of time in my opinion.

Estel

Tutor
HSC
Trebla, you will come to hate the science teachers in due course. I suggest you don't put your eggs in one basket, and do 13 or 14 units of preliminary (they say you can't, but if you push for it and show initiative, they'll let you). I hope you really like science, because in our school I happened to top it twice in earlier years, and I dropped all sciences for this year because I couldn't stand Blamires (as for the other teacher it was partly my fault).

I will tell you that in our grade nobody got over 85% in every assessment in Yr 10.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Estel said:
I will tell you that in our grade nobody got over 85% in every assessment in Yr 10.
In Year 10 2004, the top mark for the yearly Science exam was 86%, plus a quite a lot of people managed to get over 85% in at least one assessment task.

Also, although I may not be as good in Science subjects as Mathematics subjects, I still find Science an area of interest.

Anyway, I wish to take a Science course in tertiary studies so I guess my subject choices of Science courses in the Preliminary/HSC course could be considered useful and worthwhile.

As for the units, if I were to do more than 12 units (i.e. choose an extra course), I would be stuck in a decision-marking of courses I am not familiar with or do not like, because the other courses that I would have wanted have no class.

Estel said:
I dropped all sciences for this year because I couldn't stand Blamires
I have Blamires for chemistry! But I'm most likely not going to be dropping chemistry because it's my strongest science course.

Sefton is such crap school. Not just in terms of poor academic performances statewise in their selective students, but also because of the resources and facilities provided! What other school that only allows you to take 12 units only in Preliminary course?! Just about every other school allows more than 12 units to be studied in Year 11!!

HSC
N/A
Heh, my school only lets you do 12 units in prelim..... and strongly suggests that you do no more than 12 in the HSC - actually they prefer over all that you only do 10 or 11.

Estel

Tutor
HSC
Trebla said:
In Year 10 2004, the top mark for the yearly Science exam was 86%, plus a quite a lot of people managed to get over 85% in at least one assessment task...
What other school that only allows you to take 12 units only in Preliminary course?! Just about every other school allows more than 12 units to be studied in Year 11!!
Well it's getting 85% in ONE task is quite different from getting it in EVERY task.
I naturally have to exclude maths, since in Yr 10 there the marks went up to 100% :D

You can do more than 12 units (I did 13, could've done 15 but I decided to drop chemistry before trials).

Don't be too sure about strengths and weaknesses... they will change, and there really is no subject you can rely on unlike in earlier years.

ahh well have fun! Yr 11 is a bludge.

Pharaohsam

HSC
Uni Grad
A l said:
HOWEVER, there are some SELECTIVE schools that ONLY offer English Advanced. Some examples include, Sydney Technical High School, North Sydney Boys High School, Sydney Boys High School, Sydney Girls High School, James Ruse Agricultural High School and Fort Street High School. I personally do not know why, since there are some selective students in these schools that are horrific at English and should be doing Standard, but are doing Advanced English because their school only offers that course. None should assume that all selective students are better than all non-selective students.

If anyone has any comments on these I would like to see them...
sydney tech offers only advanced in yr 11...but some people are recommended to drop back to standard in yr 12...there is usually one of two clases

BuNdYgAl

HSC
it's totally dumb that some schools only do advanced!!! wat happens if you are just not good at english but are forced to do advanced but because of the workload and the fact that it is harder than standard, you fail!!! c how it doesn't always help!
whoever said that public schools weren't as good as private or catholic schools etc; doesn't know what they are talking bout, cause at least public's do both standard and advanced!!!!!
:mad:

BuNdYgAl

HSC
i do 13 units in prelim and some others in my year are doing 14 or 15, we are also allowed to do max 14 for HSC, but not recommended
can sum 1 explain wat these fundimentals are, i hav never heard bout them??? :eek:

EATAPIE

BMW>>>>Mercedes (see sig)
HSC
depends wat u like, if u dont want to do shakespeare do sntd english. but it isnt as highly rated as advanced

0Jade0

HSC
Fundamentals I am guessing teahces basic english skills. Nouns, punctuation, grammar...

gwendolin

HSC
BuNdYgAl said:
whoever said that public schools weren't as good as private or catholic schools etc; doesn't know what they are talking bout, cause at least public's do both standard and advanced!!!!!
:mad:
Interestingly enough, it appears that, in the above list of "schools that don't do standard english" most, if not all, of them are public selective schools.

On the topic of English, I do advanced because the harder the work is, the less I hate it. Seriously- I spent years 7-9 absolutely loathing English (my motto at the time was "why is the one subject I hate the most the only subject everyone in the state has to do?"). It got better in year 10, though, because we started doing challenging work.

sf_diegoxrock

HSC
A l said:
I know this may have been posted many times before, but face it, each year new students are going to be discussing the same thing.

The only real difference between Standard and Advanced English is the modules, and quality of the candidature. Marks are supposedly scaled as a common course, so neither Standard or Advanced students should be disadvantaged.

Thus, when considering whether to do English Advanced or Standard, it is only a matter of interest.

The dilemma of choosing between Standard or Advanced is often due to the fact English is a compulsory subject and each offers different sets of material. Here are a set of questions from my school that gives a rough idea on whether Standard or Advanced/Extension is right for you.

1) Do you enjoy reading and read appropriate materials or books very often? (that is everyday)
2) Are you good at English? (i.e. ALWAYS get 85 or above in assessments & tests)
3) Do you enjoy English and its exploration of texts?
4) Are you a COMPETITIVE student?

If the answers to ALL of these were yes, then Advanced and Extension is the one for you
If the answers to either questions 2 and 4 were no (if only one of questions 2 and 4 was a no), then Standard is the one for you.
If the answers to questions 2 and 4 were BOTH yes at least, then Advanced is the one for you.

N.B. It is possible for one who is not good at English to enjoy the SELECTED texts in Advanced rather than those of Standard. So the questions above are only a general approximation and estimate.

HOWEVER, there are some SELECTIVE schools that ONLY offer English Advanced. Some examples include, Sydney Technical High School, North Sydney Boys High School, Sydney Boys High School, Sydney Girls High School, James Ruse Agricultural High School and Fort Street High School. I personally do not know why, since there are some selective students in these schools that are horrific at English and should be doing Standard, but are doing Advanced English because their school only offers that course. None should assume that all selective students are better than all non-selective students.

If anyone has any comments on these I would like to see them...
what a load of bull, i do ext eng and i didnt fit ur 'criteria' to do it

A l

HSC
N/A
sf_diegoxrock said:
what a load of bull, i do ext eng and i didnt fit ur 'criteria' to do it
Keep in mind, these are from my school and judging by your post it would be safe to say that I DO NOT GO TO YOUR SCHOOL. Plus, this is a rough idea of what is suitable for each student. I assume you either hate reading, have a poor performance at English, you are not a competitive student or you do not enjoy English and its texts. If you did not fit into the supposed 'criteria', it may not be suitable for you.

nick1048 said:
please research what your saying before you say it... It's not 'relatively easy' it's because in the advanced course your meeting outcomes that the standard course neglects.
Who would bother researching anything they say?
I can tell you that research has been done before to say that English(Advanced) and English(Standard) are scaled the same.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)