Advanced maths and general maths atar scaling (1 Viewer)

starmk53

HSC
N/A
Hi guys i do advanced maths at the moment and im getting around 60 percent in my tests, if i drop to general and get around 85 will it be better??

madharris

HSC
N/A
Yeah it will be more beneficial to your atar to get 85 in general than 60 in 2u

HOWEVER:
You actually need to do work in general!!! I've seen people drop, thinking that they will get 100% and doing no work and fail general. Although general is easier, it's a different course all together so you need to be prepared to put in the work to do well

enoilgam

HSC
Hi guys i do advanced maths at the moment and im getting around 60 percent in my tests, if i drop to general and get around 85 will it be better??
General doesnt scale too well, but if you can do substantially better in it, then it is probably worth dropping down. However, as MadHarris pointed out, General might be easy, but it isnt a free ride by any stretch. You will have to put in some effort in order to get a decent mark.

hit patel

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah eventhough it scales down, you should still try. If you get 90 in general but 60 in 2 unit, you should drop down if you are willing to put effort. However if you dont try hard, and if general <70, then there is a danger of getting atar less than 85.

Makematics

HSC
But many people are under the illusion that they are cruising along in general when in the 80s and then when they get their atar in december they get destroyed by scaling. Also general is a lot harder to do because it is so fucking boring. Well that's my opinion... I'd be interested to see if anyone actually prefers dealing with the financial bullshit over fun topics like basic calculus, trig, etc.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Just work harder & smarter in your Advanced; if necessary, get help from your classmates, you maths teacher or external source. Running away to General is not a smart move unless you really cannot handle Advanced.

Edit

I presume you are now in Year 11. If you switch to General, you still have to put in a lot of time to make up for lost ground. Even though General's mathematical content is mostly light, its syllabus contents are very different from those of 2U Advanced. With the extra time you would need to catch up with General, why not use that to push up your 2U performance into the 70's or 80's.

Also, don't forget you may want to do a course which requires a bit more maths - your General will count for nothing. Don't listen to all those: you can always do a bridging course stuff.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)