Advanced/Standard English (1 Viewer)

HSC
seriously keep doing Advanced English. I was told to drop to Standard English in Year 11 but I was the only one out of my class to stick with it. It was the best choice because it's better to be kinda average in Advanced coz you won't do well in Standard unless you're like exceptionally good at it.

~Sw33ti3~

hate uni.... but why :S
HSC
well... i personally do standard, and i must say that standard english is a realli good choice.

loads of ppl tells u 2 do adv, but i think dat std english isn't crap... not to say anything, but my trial mark in the Paper 1 - AOS with adv ppl, i actually beat a LOT of adv ppl in the creative writing and journey essay section. I just crapped out the comprehension, but my other marks made up for it.

It shows that doing std doesn't mean ur stupid... a std student topped creative writing... full marks... looking at adv... hmm... haven't heard a full mark yet!

and i think std english has benefited a lot of ppl...we aint the ones coming out crying from exam rooms or afta exams are back... i dunno, i am ranked realli well Top 10 in std english... it makes u feel better too.

i dunno, i know adv sounds good, but srsly, i was bottom 40 in adv english in yr 11... now top 10 and beating lots of adv ppl....

std english isn't horrible. it just gives us an advantages... well if u do well... and with hard work i am sure u can do well...

but doing std doesn't mean u just sit and relax... it is lots of hard work, but it pays off nicer than adv.... at least what i think..

so just think about it... wanna do well or do average? ur choice...... some ppl do std english to benefit them... its not as if we can't do adv... we just want std to help us get a way better mark in english =D

Grimesy

HSC
Hi, had the same dilemma as u this year when picking what to do ended up picking standard and i can tell u if u look at the SAM and compare the standard and advanced marks there is not much difference in many cases you will go better. Tryst what your teachers say they have experince when it has come to the past

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
bboyelement said:
all my friends in standard regret dropping down so dont do it... the reason is that the teacher is crap because all the good teachers are chosen to teach advanced and the students are 'dumbasses' ... since english is compulsory, people that want to do year 12 but dont care about going to uni will most likely be in standard than advanced so they will bludge and will bring your mark down a lot even if you try really hard ... along with that you will sit in class where ppl dont want to learn ... you should be around positive ppl that want to learn attitude so you will be influenced by them ...
Apparently, all my classmates English Standard class have achieve pretty good marks in the last asessment comapred to the entire English Standard students in Year 11 and are only getting better ...

bboyelement

HSC
f3nr15 said:
Apparently, all my classmates English Standard class have achieve pretty good marks in the last asessment comapred to the entire English Standard students in Year 11 and are only getting better ...
uhm it really depends if you go to selective school or not... most kids at my school are dropouts. if you go to selective school and they offer standard then go for it.

HSC
I've finally made up my mind, and I've decided to do what the majority of people that have posted here said to do, stick with Advanced.
Thanks everyone for your advice!!

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
Good luck with it chocolate_lover :)

I need to remember to ask the teacher about it after the exam too, hopefully she'd know if it's possible to drop to standard in year 12, despite the fact that she's only been to the school for one term or so...:p

airie

HSC
Don't know about chocolate_lover, but I'm actually eligible for ESL too :p What do you do in the course?

suchet_i

derka derka
HSC
its actually not 'spell C A T' easy. we actually have more texts than advance for area of study. i personally hate poetry, but in esl we only did 1 set of poems by peter skrzynecki and they are quite interesting to talk about. back in year 10 i used to do advance and i was just average. if i kept advance then i know it would be a great struggle for me and there was no way that i would do standard. our area of study is journey, and the two elevtives arnt THAT complex. esl sure has allowed me to spend my time on more important subjects. if that doesnt answer your question just go to the ESL forums as ask something there.

airie

HSC
suchet_i said:
esl sure has allowed me to spend my time on more important subjects.
Ooh. That'll definitely set my year 10 english teacher on fire :p

Thanks for that :) Heh, I actually like poetry better, my mark was much better for the poetry task this year than, say, Macbeth speech. Ugh. :mad1:

July 2001

HSC
N/A
I would probably say do Advanced if you are achieving over 85% or so in the course, otherwise it would not really make much of a difference if you do Standard or Advanced, and definitely would not affect your so-called "chance" of achieving a Band 6 in English.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)