• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

advantages of a double degree (1 Viewer)

daamit

HSC
hi guys I was wondering if any of you can help me with my situation. I am considering whether I should do a double degree in engineering and science as I hear employers favour graduates with double degrees (is this true?). However I'm not sure whether I can cope with the workload as I hear engineering is a pretty full on course by itself let alone doing it along with science. I have only done 2U mathematics and achieved a band 5 so I will obviously doing a bridging course. So this is my question, from your experience or people you know's experience do you recommend for a person in my situation to do engineering/science or just a single engineering degree? also is it worth doing a double degree? and are double degree graduates more favoured than single degree graduates?

I am looking to do civil engineering at uts or unsw.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Doing a double degree doesn't mean you do "double" the work as compared with those doing a single degree. This is because there is certain number of units you can do at Uni. e.g. at UNSW, everyone who is full time generally enrol in 24 units of credit for each semester, regardless of whether you are single or double degree. Ultimately, it means people in a double degree will need to stay in uni longer to complete more units. Therefore, there is no difference between the workload in a single or double degree - it is the amount of time you will have to stay in uni that differs.

In you situation, if you like BOTH engineering and science, I recommend you to do both because you are likely to do well in both. If you just want to add science because it may increase employment opportunity, then I think stick with Engineering, because you will find it's hard to be good at something you are not interested in and it's better off to do well at one thing than mediocre in two.

HSC
i personally don't think it is worth the extra year or two to do a double degree if you're just trying to impress employers.

by all means go for a double degree if you have a particular desire to extend your knowledge in a particular area, but otherwise it's a waste of effort.

you can always pick up the science at the end of 1st or 2nd year if you want to as well, just as long as you have a credit average.

otherwise you'd be much better off just getting into the industry and building up experience sooner.

and UTS uses its "12 months work experience" as a massive selling point too - i think it is better just to finish your degree sooner and start earning a proper salary a year earlier. and for the other unis you need to do a bit of work experience anyway, so you won't be completely missing out. just my opinion though...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)