Advantages of high ranking schools (1 Viewer)

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
Re: Subject selection!!!!

You seem to think that whatever works for you also works for everyone. Open you mind a bit.

I go to a school NOT EVEN RANKED (600+) and someone got 99.90 in 2010. If you saying that top selective schools have advantage, then that means this student is smarter than a 99.90 at your school?

The playing field is level for the most part. There may be advantages with competitive environment etc. but that is not an advantage for everyone.
Oh, one person got 99.90? Sorry, I guess that makes my entire argument invalid.

Let me crawl back to my cave of logical fallacies.

iBibah

HSC

Absolutely.

EDIT: I'll take 'smarter' in this context to include dedication, resourcefulness, learning ability, etc.
For you to imply that it is easier to get a higher ATAR at top selective schools is bullshit.

Have you even been to a lower ranked school? Just because you can't be motivated without a competitive cohort doesn't mean others can't. And just because you require a strong cohort to succeed doesn't mean others need one too.

Oh, one person got 99.90? Sorry, I guess that makes my entire argument invalid.

Let me crawl back to my cave of logical fallacies.
Everything your saying is not logical, but rather based on personal experience.

Once again, you seem to think that whatever works for you is what works for everyone else.

You need to accept (or rather know) that not everyone is like you. The way you think and are motivated is not the same as everyone else.

Stop making your personal preference a fact.

enoilgam

HSC
I have placed these posts into a new thread as the discussion diverged too much from the original thread. Additionally, I think it is worthy of seperate discussion.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I agree partially in this sort of Pygmalion effect that I believe iSplicer is kinda getting towards but not stating explicitly.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
I agree partially in this sort of Pygmalion effect that I believe iSplicer is kinda getting towards but not stating explicitly.
I'm pretty sure I stated it VERY explicitly, haha =].

BTW Shadowdude, how's uni this sem? Haven't heard from you in a while!

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
As much as I hate to admit it, I agree with iSplicer.

Not only have you got much greater competition, which forces you to push yourself, but you also have a group of like-minded peers. Peers who are in the same position as you and have similar goals, whereas lower-ranked schools tend to have students who aspire to things other than academics. Ultimately, this leads to people helping each other out, benefiting everyone involved and boosting their marks.

2xL

HSC

I disagree to the fullest possible extent.

Going to a top 5 school provides an advantage beyond your wildest imagination. I'm not even joking.
Have to agree here, the higher level of competition forces students to work harder and strive harder to attain a higher rank in their cohort.

enoilgam

HSC
Just to clarify, I am not disagreeing with iSplicer that it can give people an advantage through increased competition, I disagree that this advantage is true for ALL students. Its the absolutism that has made me disagree.

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
I think what enoilgram is trying to get at is that just because going to a selective school benefited isplicer, it doesn't mean that everyone else that goes to a selective school will benefit in every way he did. Isplicer doesn't act as a representative sample for the rest of NSW

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
I go to an about 180s school and I can say that the students here are quite often misled by the teachers. Our cohort is stronger than previous ones. They have no clue how what scaling and aligning are and they are under the impression that the marks you get are the final ones. Thus leading them to not care about rankings. So essentially they are more focused on the externals rather than internal assessments. Without joining this forum I too would probably be clueless about how the hsc works.

The teachers here are more focused on getting students through high school to uni transition rather than aiming to maximise your potential.

Last edited:

Demise

HSC

You have no basis in which to 'doubt' anything, as you didn't go to a selective school and thus haven't experienced what a MASSIVE advantage both the learning environment and the quality of the candidature give you. The stats are clearly on my side.

Readers: ignore what the sappy lefties have to say. Top 5 selective school = HUGE, HUGE advantage.
Your perspective is flawed though. Quality of candidature and learning environment both implies hard work from the student themselves, therefore they earn the 95 ATAR themselves, not without any work - Why have a great learning environment if you yourself aren't going to do any work, but magically achieve 95 as you said.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)