Advice about commerce at usyd? (1 Viewer)

Blushii

HSC
Hi guys, i'm in a bit of a dilemma regarding my preferences. So I'm interested in the business/legal aspect of things at the moment. I've received a scholarship of $30K from USYD for Commerce, which covers the whole course and it gives me an almost guaranteed entry into the course really, with a different, lower cutoff. This is pretty huge, financially it would relieve a massive debt burden and considering the fact I've always liked commerce... it sounds okay. Catch is I must put it as 1st pref. to actually get it, which I feel really restricts me.

I've never thought of putting Commerce alone as my first preference...I'd much rather put Comm/law up there at least and a few other things that I've had a lingering interest for. What should I do? Is there anyway I can get a commerce offer with the scholarship and other offers too? Or is it strictly one offer? i'm a but confused here!

For anyone who does/knows about commerce, is it a valuable course, like is it useful and what are the career prospects? - because i've always thought its pretty useless if done alone, then again im pretty inexperienced :p

Thanks in advance!

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
if you think you can get into comm/law, then do that, if not, then don't waste $30k, and but comm first

ct92

HSC
Could you put Commerce as your first preference, get into that course with the scholarship, then transfer after your first year into Commerce/Law? It may also be a good idea to check with the university, if you haven't already, whether the scholarship necessarily has to apply to a single Commerce degree, or whether it can apply to a combined degree including Commerce.

izzy88

HSC
The best thing you can do is contact the university and ask them whether the scholarship can apply to a combined commerce/law degree. If it does then you're fine and you can put USYD comm/law first than USYD commerce second or whatever.

If you can't then you have to prioritise what you want/need. I generally don't advise choosing course or uni based on money, however $30k is a lot. The other thing to make note of is that combined comm/law only saves you 1 year of study. You could do a straight comm degree then apply for the JD (grad law). To be honest, with that way you would probably get the best of both worlds, and that 1 year hardly makes a difference in the long run, especially if you dont have a hecs debt for commerce and don't have to worry about money for those first three years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)