Advice for subject selection (1 Viewer)

rinity

HSC
Hi there,

I'd just like a little advice for my subject choices for Year 11 next year. So far, my subjects are:

English Extension 1
Maths Extension 1
Japanese Continuers
Biology
Chemistry
Drama

I'm kind of doing a toss-up between drama, chem and bio at the moment. I'm leaning towards bio since I find the whole subject in general pretty interesting, so that will probably make up one of my remaining two subjects.

I'm considering doing med in uni and I looked up a couple of uni's yesterday to see if they listed chem as a pre-requisite. Thankfully MOST of them didn't (only said it was strongly recommended but not necessary) but I'd like to be on the safe side anyway and choose chem in case I need it. I'm not too big on science but I reckon I could always drop it in Year 12 if it doesn't work out?

As for drama, some of my teachers recommended doing an arts subject because it would help greatly in interviews etc (i.e. it's like a 'different' sort of choice as opposed to sciences and eco etc). I did really well in drama last year (with a diff teacher), but I find it hard to keep up with the teacher taking the subject next year since she's my drama teacher atm. She's awesome, really, but she sorta plays favourites a bit, I guess? I'm not sure how I'd feel about that during year 11 since quite a few of my drama class are taking drama next year.

Also, apologies if this is a ridiculously dumb question, but are you allowed to drop subjects halfway through Year 11 and pick up another one? Or at the very least, swap at the beginning of the year?

Any ideas? :L And sorry for the long post and taking up your time, but I'd really like some advice atm :)

enoilgam

HSC
I'm kind of doing a toss-up between drama, chem and bio at the moment. I'm leaning towards bio since I find the whole subject in general pretty interesting, so that will probably make up one of my remaining two subjects.
Have you considered taking all three into Year 11? Trying the subjects for yourself will give you a far better perspective on them. Besides, with 14 units, you are free to drop 2 at any time since you will be left with the required 12 needed for Prelim.

Also, apologies if this is a ridiculously dumb question, but are you allowed to drop subjects halfway through Year 11 and pick up another one? Or at the very least, swap at the beginning of the year?
No, you can only pick up a subject in the first few weeks of Term 1 (schools usually provide a small period of time at the begining if you change your mind). However, as I mentioned previously, you are free to drop units at any time provided that you have at least 12 remaining.

spatula232

HSC
Ask your school first. I went and talked to the admin person at school and they aren't letting me do 14 units which kinda screws me over. Most teachers are happy to talk to you, and you class teachers know your ability so they can tell you if you would be suited for that lesson.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)