Advice leading to confusion (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
nwatts said:
Justin: PM function is there for a reason mmkay.
You didn't bother to pm and have no qualms about criticising people in public, so why can't we do the same?

nwatts

HSC
glitterfairy said:
You didn't bother to pm and have no qualms about criticising people in public, so why can't we do the same?
You're a moderator honey. Lead by example.

HSC
N/A
nwatts said:
You're a moderator honey. Lead by example.
However I'm also a BOSmember, and entitled to all the rights of free speech as you are. May I remind you that among other things, you were the one to hit low with a "your advice isn't worth listening to" line? There's a difference between arguing a point, and resorting to pettiness.

You have got to be kidding me if you expect moderators to just take on crap from members without the right to defend themselves, just because they're moderators.

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
It's sometimes hard to accept advice. But you'd be a fool not to take it. Your teacher may just be right- it is important to make an impact if your aiming for the highmark range. I guess it comes down to aims...

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Po-mo is very distinct, people assume you can just bullshit your way through to an E4, the problem is that if poorly executed, any story will fail in any style. Despite being overly 'po-mo' my piece still contained a cohesive plot, relevant punctuation, generic descriptive conventions etc. Writing in po-mo doesn't guarantee you marks, and is quite a big gamble, what you are taught as being 'po-mo' in high school is but a mere shadow of the actual theory.

HSC
N/A
fleepbasding said:
It's sometimes hard to accept advice. But you'd be a fool not to take it. Your teacher may just be right- it is important to make an impact if your aiming for the highmark range. I guess it comes down to aims...
I think it's important to certainly take advice on board, however it's really up to the writer as to whether it's used or not. Writing is such a personal thing - what one person thinks will be the 'cure' to a problem might be the writer's worst nightmare because it doesn't reflect a key theme of the work, etc. I had a few of these in my first full working draft because I didn't make it clear exactly why I was doing certain things - after a tight rework my critic understood with one of those "ahhhhh!" cliche-type moments :p

That being said, if a constructive criticism sounds reasonably feasible and you're somewhat convinced, experiment with it. Re-draft a section with the crticism in mind and compare it to what you already have. If you don't like it, fine. If you like it, fine. If you learn something new along the way, fine.

One last thing - impact is all very good and fine, but only if it works with your story as a whole. It's no point handing in a fancily-wrapped present if it has no real substance inside.

Last edited:

renton

HSC
who here is doing one of those deliberately postmodern stories, you know like "You are the type of person who is inclined to......" and that stuff. i reckon calvino and that style with the authorial intrusion here, i'll thro in some 2nd person for the sake of it, breaking of the 4th wall etc is so bloody condescending. gives me the shits to read that sort of writing. so i'd say think twice if ur heading in that direction, cos ive seen it done so many bloody times and it gets shit boring and totally trite.

pungemo

HSC
I can agree with that. I have a few moments that are like that, and if they're difficult to read I can tell you quite truthfully that they are damn confusing to write (freakin multiple levels of reality meets authorial intrusion).

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I'd much rather be read than admired

wigzell_king

HSC
ahahahaahahahahHAHAHAHA!!!
i need some DINNER coz this is just too funny
pretentious pie

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)