Advice needed please.. HSC at tafe! (1 Viewer)

deva0o

HSC
Hey all im planning on attending Ultimo/Randwick tafe next year to complete my HSC, i was attending Blacktown tafe this year and i had alot of fun and not much study:(

My first question is how exactly does Tafe get ranked with the other schools around NSW? Is it actually in the list or is there a a completely different system in competing with other schools?

The second question is that ive decided to study:

Advanced English
IPT
SDD
Business
Economics

Ive heard that these subjects scale very low... Am abit worried because i love IT and hope to further my studies through University but have heard its dam hard to get a decent UAI above 85 and also studying at tafe for the hsc is not going to help unless i rank 1 2 or 3 in each of these subjects.

If anyone can help me out with these two questions i will appreciate it alot!
Thanks in advance..

Dee

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
http://community.boredofstudies.org/attachments/844/uai-hsc-marks-class-2008/attachments/full-school-rankings/17884d1230371364/2008-school-rankings.pdf

According to this file, I don't think TAFE is officially on the list. However, it does not mean that there was no Band 6 from TAFE, it just doesn't seem to come up here because there are too many TAFEs that provide HSC with small number of students (hence too complicated to put up all the TAFEs on the list). That's just my opinion.

As for your subjects, I suggest you look into TAFE website for yourself but you will generally see that English (Advanced) is mostly provided. I know it for sure because I did some research on that area because I also wanted to some of my HSC at TAFE (but I eventually failed...:( )

About the scaling part, don't worry. The important thing is to control your own scaling. "control your own scaling" just means that scaling of a subject is something that you can control (not fully but you can have some degree of control). Most subjects at certain point, either "scale up" or "scale down". If you actually receive high marks in your subjects, scaling will hardly affect you. If you work hard and get good marks in the subject, it won't scale down. Rather, it will be scaled up. It is entirely up to how you work in your own subject.

BTW, most subject combination can get you 100 UAI. With your current subjects, it is definitely possible considering that some of your subjects have good scaling.

By the way, before you go to any TAFE or any school to do your HSC, you will have to decide for yourself which way is right. If you want to do your work, you will have to see for yourself if TAFE is a right choice. If you confess here that you didn't work in the last TAFE you worked in, you can never guarantee whether you will do some work in the next one even though the next one might be significantly different. Regardless of where you work, if you cannot really motivate yourself to work, you won't.

So if you are a type of person who is easily influenced by the environment, you can bet on the chance that you will struggle as TAFE students generally aren't of the type that would strive hard to do well in HSC.

Last edited:

Vespers

HSC
According to this file, I don't think TAFE is officially on the list. However, it does not mean that there was no Band 6 from TAFE, it just doesn't seem to come up here because there are too many TAFEs that provide HSC with small number of students (hence too complicated to put up all the TAFEs on the list). That's just my opinion.
nope. all the tafes are on the rankings list, just like every other school offering hsc studies in nsw. they're just not listed as 'tafe'. i believe this was the highest ranking tafe this year:

425 Govt Northern Sydney Institute - Bradfield College 695 23 3.31

yes, they generally perform terribly.

if you're aiming for 85 or above, don't worry about scaling. your subjects are fine. and going to tafe (as opposed to going to any other school) should be no impediment to a capable student. of course, you should try to rank as highly as possible. if your ranking is not in the top three or so (preferably first) then most likely your overall mark will not be good. but my point is that if you're smart or dedicated (at least one of the two), then ranking well at tafe should not be hard.

i'm going to be doing the hsc at tafe next year too. i'm hoping to get 99+.

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Vespers said:
nope. all the tafes are on the rankings list, just like every other school offering hsc studies in nsw. they're just not listed as 'tafe'. i believe this was the highest ranking tafe this year:

425 Govt Northern Sydney Institute - Bradfield College 695 23 3.31

yes, they generally perform terribly.

if you're aiming for 85 or above, don't worry about scaling. your subjects are fine. and going to tafe (as opposed to going to any other school) should be no impediment to a capable student. of course, you should try to rank as highly as possible. if your ranking is not in the top three or so (preferably first) then most likely your overall mark will not be good. but my point is that if you're smart or dedicated (at least one of the two), then ranking well at tafe should not be hard.

i'm going to be doing the hsc at tafe next year too. i'm hoping to get 99+.
I see. I typed in "TAFE" and I didn't get any result so I falsely assumed that TAFE wasn't ont the list. Thanks for confirming that.

deva0o

HSC
ok thanks for the info and clearing things up for me, im very motivated and have dropped bad habits that really interupted my studies this year. thanks again! :spin:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)