Advice on maximising marks in english paper 1 (1 Viewer)

nickluvschool

HSC
Hi all, omg starts in 4 days.. today is my first day of english study, and i would love to know how to maximise marks in the first two questions (short answers and creative writing) of english standard paper 1 (journeys), our teacher never really gave us any good advice..... thanks !

buzzsaw89

HSC
Yeah I'm starting English study today as well. For the creative writing, write and polish a story which can be adapted to suit any stimulus material. For the short answer, IDK maybe look over other school or previous HSC papers?

J Biddy

HSC
Know your techniques really well for section one (Visual, language techniques etc.) Also, look at what it's actually worth in terms of marks and spend time accordingly, i.e. the first question will be worth one or two marks at most, and only wants a sentence long answer. For the creative writing it's best not to learn a story, because you will usually be unlucky and find it doesn't suit the question. Just have a plan ready. Good luck!

N1C0L3

HSC
im starting english study today too lol
i reckon just learn a big range of techniques so u know how to identify them.. in alll ur essays, make sure you ALWAYS adapt the question to your response, in the opening paragraph, links throughout, and concluding your essay, they always give good marks if you show u understand the question. U prob already know this but anyways.
i rekcon its best to start on the journey essay or the creative writing. If you have them memorised and ready to speed write it out, do it first so u dont accidently spend too long on the response section then panic and fuk up the rest.
thats all advice i can give :)

azz369963

SR3BRL
HSC
im fuked
i have no story
and i cant think creatively
its crap.
but cannot wait till its over.

but yeah, for the trials and other practice exams ive done, just know tech's, give examples and explain the effect the techniques have. for creative writing, have a couple of ideas, choose the most appropriate and adapt it. ofcourse im lacking in the ideas dept, so dont be like me.

good luck everyone

slasher3689

HSC
Yeh, Im also starting serious study on english today. Lol so far Ive spent this morning on english study.

Dont forget, quotes quote quotes! lol I went shithouse in the trial cause of that...

ksammeh

Neuseeland
HSC
In terms of Section I, make sure you know your techniques. I cannot stress this enough. Whether it be language techniques or visual, get familiar with them. Try responding to a whole range of texts and pin point whatever you can. What I personally do, is grab a text and find all the techniques I can by anotating as fast as I can without stopping to think. Remember, the concept is really important as well. Start thinking about concepts you can draw out from texts like "Imaginative journeys are the catalyst for our learning" etc... You will most likely need concepts like this for the last question. And reinforce this with techniques you can find. And make sure your last question doesn't run down on the same answers you wrote for the previous questions. The questions before the big marker (Out of 6 I think) shouldn't be about trying to show off. Answer the question and get it over with. Showing off is generally for the 6 marker so keep that in mind. Play around with it and you should be sweet.

As for Section II, this will vary depending on the type of journey you are doing. But nevertheless, make sure this section is blatant about the journey you are presenting. Remember to use TECHNIQUES and make sure you vary in sentence structure, language, syntax and so forth. It is better to finish your Creative Writing rather than to leave it if you are running low in time (No matter how crap your story is). And remember about the Setting, Complication, Resolution. Good stories tend to have their complication at the start and resolute as the story goes, but that's totally up to you.

Section III is all about knowing your sh** inside and out and how to play around with it. Make sure you become familiar with adjusting your thesis statements so that it ANSWERS THE QUESTION. If it doesn't answer the question then it's simply not worth answering. Although it seems so logical to say, majority of the people from last year failed to do so and wrote an essay which they memorised without ANSWERING THE QUESTION. Just remember to do so and load it with techniques, quotes, but don't even attempt to re-write the story; that's the last thing the markers want. Discuss means discuss, not multiple paragraphs of statements so keep that in mind. Structure your essays right and get the flow of your piece worked out. Then and only then will you see yourself achieving a band 6.

Last edited:

Jonny90

HSC
Or u could just add a room, divide the legs, minus the clothes and have fun. cya

jayne89

HSC
ha. cheat. if only it were that easy.. i already got accepted into public relations and marketing at notre dame, so having to study and all is really hard.. way too easy to get distracted especially when i no longer need the 80 uai i would have tried to get... english will be easy. paper one anyway.... and at the end of the day.. we are all 21 in three years. how hard is it to work until then and do uni as a mature age... most people cant afford to go to uni straight away ne way.... so my advice is do not stress. school is school. and we already finsihed.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
My King Lear study plan-

Tomorrow it will be 28 degrees and hopefully storm. I plan to go out into the backyard and attempt to command nature. After that i will consider the inequality in the world and those "poor naked wretches" who are studying properly-

"O I have ta'en
Too little care of this. Take physic, pomp,
Expose thyself to feel what wretches feel"

I will then strip naked-
"Off, off you lendings! Come, unbutten here."

Reducing my self to a "poor, bare, forked animal as thou art." Then finally as an "unaccomadated man" in my most "poor and basest shape" will i have a true understanding of the Intricacies of the text.

Will this work? Or have i gone mad?

"O let me not be mad, not mad, sweet heaven!"

cutiebabyforeva

Coz I'm Cool Like That ;)
HSC
Cookie182 said:
My King Lear study plan-

Tomorrow it will be 28 degrees and hopefully storm. I plan to go out into the backyard and attempt to command nature. After that i will consider the inequality in the world and those "poor naked wretches" who are studying properly-

"O I have ta'en
Too little care of this. Take physic, pomp,
Expose thyself to feel what wretches feel"

I will then strip naked-
"Off, off you lendings! Come, unbutten here."

Reducing my self to a "poor, bare, forked animal as thou art." Then finally as an "unaccomadated man" in my most "poor and basest shape" will i have a true understanding of the Intricacies of the text.

Will this work? Or have i gone mad?

"O let me not be mad, not mad, sweet heaven!"
LOL

azz369963

SR3BRL
HSC
jayne89 said:
ha. cheat. if only it were that easy.. i already got accepted into public relations and marketing at notre dame, so having to study and all is really hard.. way too easy to get distracted especially when i no longer need the 80 uai i would have tried to get... english will be easy. paper one anyway.... and at the end of the day.. we are all 21 in three years. how hard is it to work until then and do uni as a mature age... most people cant afford to go to uni straight away ne way.... so my advice is do not stress. school is school. and we already finsihed.

maaaaad chice in degree
im not sure what i wanna do, but i think i applied for some degree like that, think it was B business/ B economics at newwy and similar stuff at syd/newy.
but i wanna do ER and marketing. should add me on msn or something?
lol

timbum

HSC
ksammeh said:
In terms of Section I, make sure you know your techniques. I cannot stress this enough. Whether it be language techniques or visual, get familiar with them. Try responding to a whole range of texts and pin point whatever you can. What I personally do, is grab a text and find all the techniques I can by anotating as fast as I can without stopping to think. Remember, the concept is really important as well. Start thinking about concepts you can draw out from texts like "Imaginative journeys are the catalyst for our learning" etc... You will most likely need concepts like this for the last question. And reinforce this with techniques you can find. And make sure your last question doesn't run down on the same answers you wrote for the previous questions. The questions before the big marker (Out of 6 I think) shouldn't be about trying to show off. Answer the question and get it over with. Showing off is generally for the 6 marker so keep that in mind. Play around with it and you should be sweet.

As for Section II, this will vary depending on the type of journey you are doing. But nevertheless, make sure this section is blatant about the journey you are presenting. Remember to use TECHNIQUES and make sure you vary in sentence structure, language, syntax and so forth. It is better to finish your Creative Writing rather than to leave it if you are running low in time (No matter how crap your story is). And remember about the Setting, Complication, Resolution. Good stories tend to have their complication at the start and resolute as the story goes, but that's totally up to you.

Section III is all about knowing your sh** inside and out and how to play around with it. Make sure you become familiar with adjusting your thesis statements so that it ANSWERS THE QUESTION. If it doesn't answer the question then it's simply not worth answering. Although it seems so logical to say, majority of the people from last year failed to do so and wrote an essay which they memorised without ANSWERING THE QUESTION. Just remember to do so and load it with techniques, quotes, but don't even attempt to re-write the story; that's the last thing the markers want. Discuss means discuss, not multiple paragraphs of statements so keep that in mind. Structure your essays right and get the flow of your piece worked out. Then and only then will you see yourself achieving a band 6.

EASY EASY EASY
What i found really useful for alot of stuff, and it will be more fun and easier for you guys too, is (take Lear for example), watch the movie aswell as read the book. youtube it, find stupid, funny, rude versions of it, and that way it will get stuck in your head easier.

Wind In The Willows...youtube it, watch the movie - this way you can get a better understanding of what the text is about, context, and all that jazz, so that when you actually come to write the essay or answer the question, you'll have a better idea of who and what you're dealing with.

Personally, for related material, choose a song. Only cos then you can listen to it before you go into the exam and get it stuck in your head, then when you start writing, just scribble all the lyrics down on a sheet of paper (just make sure you know some literary and musical concepts - its all pretty straight forward hehe). :bomb:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)