HSC
HI---
I'm in year 10 and I have to choose subjects for Prelim. HSC course *groan*

Anyway this is what my subjects look like so far;

English Advanced + Extension English
Mod. History
Biology
Legal Studies
French Cont. (Extension in year 12 hopefully)
and
either Italian Beginners or Drama---

I don't know which one to choose!? any advice would be so helpful, never done Italian before, but im good at languages, never done Drama before but I have a passion for performing and I'm pre sure I could bs those critical review essays. How do they scale? How much effort is involved etc.

Also as you can see I'm considering not doing any maths next year... I don't know whether this will be a mistake or not! I want a high ATAR (95 +) and probably go into Art/Law--- I'm okay at maths but compared to all my other subjects (close to full marks for every assessment) i'm not doing too well, also i hate maths with a burning passion. But yeah I'll listen to any advice :smile:

Thanks guys xo

Ununoctium

Che barba
HSC
An interesting selection of subjects!

I'd first look at your workload. You're currently doing 11 units, and if you chose Italian or Drama that would make it 13 units. Are you okay handling such amounts of work, plus the chance of another unit in year 12 making 14 units (assuming you do not drop anything)?

I speak some Italian - it's definitely an easier language than most. Beginners courses do cover a fair amount of content, so you will be able to get around confidently in Italy having done HSC Beginners. Drama is a good subject to choose, but you need to be confident enough to perform knowing everything you do will be marked in regards to the composition and acting of performance. In terms of scaling, Italian Beginners scales slightly better than Drama (according to Table A3), but having said that, it is all about what you want to do (try not to worry about scaling so much - it'll make you choose things you don't want to do). And scaling is always subject to change (based on the quality of candidature).

Mathematics isn't necessary for a bachelor of arts or law, but not doing it will restrict you from some courses (i.e commerce, engineering, ADFA etc.) in case you change your mind. I am doing general maths next year just in case I do have that last minute decision!

Il bocca al lupo! :)

Last edited:

MarnzBarnz

HSC
Thanks for your advice! I didn't think about workload 14 units does sound a little overwhelming, but I guess I'll see how it goes : )

laura-jayne14

HSC
Uni Grad
Italian is fantastic - so much fun. It's my best subject. Like said before it is a lot of content but you just have to practice. Won't be doing two languages confusing? Choose subjects that you like and go well in as you will get a higher exam mark and enjoy it in the long run. If you would like anymore info on what the Italian beginners course is like, feel free to P.M me :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)