advice, what should I do? (1 Viewer)

swathard

HSC
hi i just wanted to ask a question

i am currently doing english advanced and am in year 11.

i have received 95% for it and am ranked 1/163 in a selective school ranked 33 last year... i was wondering, do you think I would benefit if I dropped english advanced for year 12 and did english standard and then tried to get a state place for standard, or am I better off keeping advanced and not getting a state place.

opinions, advice, facts would be appreciated. thanks guys!

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
if your coming first chances are in yr 12 youd definetely get a band 6 if you continue your effort. Thats no easy feat especially in a selective school! Dropping down to standard wont help you at all because your going to have to state rank to match the mark you would get in advanced.

In short keep advanced!

samthebear

HSC
keep advanced. standard gets scaled down a fuck load. if you got 95 in standard you'd probs end up with 85 for scaled mark.

there isnt much difference in standard and advanced anyways - its just that standard tends to be scaled down due to the candidature being of a lower calibre as compared to advanced.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
There is no scaling difference between Advanced and Standard. Just to clarify that, so there is no point in swapping. You are much better off staying and getting a more enriching education studying harder texts in Adv. English.

Mu5hi

Banned
HSC
Std and adv scale the same, also i think last year the highest for std was 94 in the state. you can pretty much get that in advance or higher.

speedofsound

HSC
DO NOT DROP ADVANCED ENGLISH!

you're doing amazingly well. it's near impossible to get a band 6 in standard, whereas that rank is a guaranteed band 6 in advanced. plus, the content of standard would not at be at all challenging for you, and you'd get bored with it.

TearsOfFire

HSC
N/A
Seriously, don't drop it. As the other guys have said, you've done brilliantly in advanced, so don't even contemplating dropping it.

Brontecat

HSC
Seriously, don't drop it. As the other guys have said, you've done brilliantly in advanced, so don't even contemplating dropping it.
perfect advice, definitely listen to this :)

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
I don't know who you've been listening to, but.....

DO NOT DROP ADVANCED

unless you are completely insane. If you want a state rank, get one in advanced!

swathard

HSC
thanks everyone lol. yes, I was definitely also leaning towards keeping advanced. I just wanted some other opinions, but obviously everyone else agrees with my initial perspective, which is good! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)