advice? (1 Viewer)

red tumbler

hey, i know this is rather stupid of me but; i'm in year eleven and i'm seriously thinking about dropping chem
i was hoping to get some insight as to what it is actualy like in year twelve compared to year eleven; i have a really inane teacher this year, and chances are i'll get her next year
i need to know if it is possible to learn the hsc chem course without the aid of a teacher
anywho good luck with your study and everything and at least you'll all be free before the end of this year!

N

ND

Originally posted by red tumbler
i need to know if it is possible to learn the hsc chem course without the aid of a teacher
With the help of this forum, i believe it is.

DavidC

yeh
chemistry is easy...
u just need a big brain to remember all the stuff.
anyways we play cards in class and read newspapers and i still survived..... hehe
all u need is "conquering chemistry" textbook

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
you never know how year12 will be like until you do it. If you end up finding the hsc course easier and more interesting then its good. In year 11 you got nothing to lose so might as well keep it until you realise chem is not the thing for you

inasero

Reborn
HSC
k like david said...you dont particularly need a teacher.....
i dont have a terribly good teacher and yet im consistently up there near the top...although I must admit that I get tutored...so you may want to consider that as an option...

yes I do believe that you can learn everything yourself...and theres always these forums where you can get things clarified...
however you do need to be committed because HSC chemistry is significantly harder than perlim chemistry~

spice girl

magic mirror
year 12 chem is actually easier than yr11 chem, tribute to the pathetic system...

quarkfire

bludger
HSC
N/A
year 12 chemisty ain't hard.. it's just alot more to remember than prelim. I think you should keep it as it scales pretty well.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
yes u can u just need to practice
it's more interesting that prelim, well i think so, when u understand it

~[TaLeC]~

The prelim course is pretty much half revision...so i got really bored with it....but I was happy I kept it for year 12, cause there is new stuff, and most of it is interesting...

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
the options are the most interesting. hopefully ur school does a good option.

Chand

Reflect the lights
HSC
I would say if you absolutely not tolerate the teacher than drop....if you can survive inn the class, then keep on doin it, 'cause the syllabus is straight forward and u can find resources easily, thus you can teach urselh. hope it helped:)

JOhnNiLiCiouS

HSC
I believe a good teacher is very important to go well in chemistry. You probably could learn straight from the text book... BUT its so much easier to learn from a good teacher and its a lot easier to remember. I think that if your teachers not that great, get a tutor... hell i've got one and my teachers pretty good.

~[TaLeC]~

I have a good teacher....and I'm enjoying chem...but the stuff you learn isn't that hard to learn in the first place...
I'll be chucking my chem notes up on this site after the HSC after I've finished and perfected them...and there's also a few sets of syllabus notes up here already....so you'll never be short of quick references...

JOhnNiLiCiouS

HSC
Just make summaries as you go through the course. Will help you a lot in the long run.

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
Originally posted by JOhnNiLiCiouS
I believe a good teacher is very important to go well in chemistry. You probably could learn straight from the text book... BUT its so much easier to learn from a good teacher and its a lot easier to remember. I think that if your teachers not that great, get a tutor... hell i've got one and my teachers pretty good.
well i think it's important to have a good teacher in EVERY subject.... especially in your senior years :p but anyway. you can learn yr12 chem by yourself, but it's much better having a competent teacher... i mean, i'm kicking myself because i used to daydream so much in class, and my teacher is the best. after you get the basics in year11, a lot of HSC course is memorising... so if you think you can handle it, go for it [if you like chemistry].

regret not dropping at the beginning of year 12, NOT because of my teacher but because i don't particularly like chemistry :p

just see how you go :) and yeah, you have everyone here to *help* you XD

Kimba

Take it!!

Hey, well i think what everyone has said here is valid! You can learn Yr 12 cham, by yourself! And there are always other teachers and tutors, as someone mentioned, that you can turn to for help! I think the best thing for you to do is take 12 units into yr 12, including chem!! That way you can try it out, see how you go, cause it is definitly worth struggling for cause of the scaling, and you can drop it anytime until the HSC!! so go ahead and try it!! You wont know until you do! And as many people have already said, it's way better then Yr11!!!
I have only one concern, if you do it without a teacher, do you not get to do pract work??
Hope you make a decision soon!:D

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
It's definatly possible to learn chem without the aid of a teacher.... I failed yr 11 chem cos of teacher problems, and I'm now top of yr 12 chem! I have been going to tutoring to help me understand some concepts, but so much of the syllabus is just learning things straight out of the textbook.

~[TaLeC]~

Also, in Uni and such...you have to do alot of your own learning along the way...with the teacher there to run through the harder stuff...so if you get a crap teacher...think of it as preparation :S

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by Kimba
I think the best thing for you to do is take 12 units into yr 12, including chem!!
if ur not confident then dont take any less than 12 units with chem, then u'd have the added pressure of having to go well in it

and these comments make learningalone sound easy - i dont agree! i find it much easier when the teacher explains

and u have to get to do the pracs

however, i highly recommend u take chem in yr 12

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)