Aerospace Engineering/ (commerce or science?) (1 Viewer)

exe

HSC
Hey,
I will be studying either Aerospace Engineering/Commerce or Aerospace Engineering/Science at Monash next year, but i cant make up my mind on which one to choose.

The head of Aerospace Engineering at Monash told me that science goes well with Aerospace but I was also told that commerce will provide more oppotunities in the future. At the moment I am leaning towards commerce for this reason but others have also said that commerce and engineering dont complement each other. Also, I feel that commerce will be more beneficial because of the business-orientated world today but then again science will enhance my studies in engineering.

Ive accepted one of those Engineering scholarships for monash and im happy to study either commerce or science. I was interested in knowing your opinion and which one to study with aerospace engineering.

Thanks =)

T

Testpilot

A lot of engineers end up in the finance industry, because an engineering degree is highly valued. As for Aerospace Engineers in Australia there are job oporttunities but you may have to move to America, England, France, Germany etc to get a job. I would study commerce if I were you (I hope to do BE(Aero)/B Comm EDIT: @USyd) because it allows you to easily transition into the finance industry-where there is always jobs. However if you intend to seriously practice as an engineer then doing a science degree with it is probably more beneficial.

antarctic

HSC
Musk said:
lol 2 aerospace engineers get a job in their fields in australia. lmao good luck
Some people may beg to differ on that one:

http://www.aeromech.usyd.edu.au/yabbfiles/Attachments/Boeing_Advertisement-2006.pdf

Some other places that have been known to hire aero engineers:

Boeing/Hawker de Havilland, GKN Aerospace, BAE Systems, Composites CRC, Tenix, Defence Materiel Organisation, Defence Science and Technology Organisation, Army Aviation, GM Holden, Ford, Victorian Partnership of Advanced Computing and Jetstar Airways.

http://www.rmit.edu.au/browse/News%20and%20Events%2FNews%2FGeneral%20news%2FScience%20and%20technology%2F;ID=0wielb2r99iaz;STATUS=A

As far as which degree to combine with, my 2 cents worth is that you should do which ever degree you are more interested in. Also, if Monash is anything like USyd (which is where I'm doing aero eng), you can easily switch to another degree, provided that your uni marks are decent (although it may require you to overload some courses/do summer schol/extend the time it takes to do your degree). This may be something to ask about.

T

Testpilot

Antartic: You're doing aero @ USyd. Whats it like? Also will I be able to 'add' a commerce degree to it at the end of the first year if it don't get the UAI for the double degree (Aero's cutoff is lower).

I also agree-there is work for Aerospace engineers in Australia-just not as much as other professions.

exe

HSC
I understand the job oppotunities arent as great in Australia compared to other industries, thats why i was leaning towards commerce.
Ideally, I would like to become to a pilot. Monash offer aerospace students the oppotunity to get a pilot license during the 2nd year. So when i have enough cash I intend to hopefully get a license in the future and continue on with studies. Alternatively, I wouldnt mind an office job on the managing side of things in the aerospace industry which once again points towards commerce. Perhaps in the future i may move overseas, but thats too far away to think about now =)
Ive decided to go with commerce so aero eng/comm will be my first preference.
thnx for all your replies

antarctic

HSC
@TestPilot:
I've just finished the 2nd year of a B.E. (Aero)(Space) at USyd, and I've enjoyed what I've been through for the last two years. Of course, there are quite a few boring/poorly taught courses, but the're inevitable in all degrees. For me, they've been offset by the more practical, hands-on courses that are avaliable. If you have any specific questions, please ask.

As for transferring to a combined B.E./B.Comm after first year, I'm probably not the best person to ask. I believe that the eligibility for transfers is based on both your UAI and the marks you get at uni.
However, one resource that you may find useful are the faculty handbooks, avaliable online here:

http://www.usyd.edu.au/handbooks/

Failing this, you can always contact the faculty offices and/or year advisors (contact details for these people can be found in the handbooks).

Good luck all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)