Aerospace OVERSEAS, and - UNSW vs UTS (1 Viewer)

hurikai

boredofposting
HSC
Thanks for any help guys, questions are as follows -

1. I'm thinking about doing aerospace, primarily because I believe I have a natural interest in the subject. I know there are NO prospects in Australia.

But - if I go overseas to the US, will my prospects and my salary be considerably higher, considering that this is the hub of NASA? I'm not sure if anyone has any experience/knowledge of engo overseas, but if you do, how would you compare employment + salary to mechanical or electrical?

I'm considering going straight overseas for undergrad (for more reasons than just getting ahead in my studies), but apparently lots of people transfer for postgrad studies, so I'm not sure if that's the best way or not.

2. UNSW vs UTS - which is better and for which fields of engo? Apparently UTS is great for your career because it gives you internships, but is the quality of the degree there better or worse?

I kind of like UNSW, mainly because it's familiar, and it doesn't look like a giant brick condom, and the lifts aren't crap, and my friends are going there. Also, there's the Co-op program. How do UTS internships compare with UNSW Co-ops in terms of acquired skills and pay?

Thanks for any help. If you guys have any resources/research/info, please share :)

doink

Clone
HSC
IF you want to do Aerospace usyd is the best option. UNSW has an aerospace program but it is not as good. UTS is a good uni for Civil E and the 1 year experience you get is a great asset to have it also focuses on the practical side of engineering alot.

Aerospace engineering in USA will be hard to get a job until you get your C Eng since employers will tend to employ people who have been taught in USA rather than someone from AUS unless you have something extra to offer.

Also if you are going to do Aerospace you need ~99.65 in order to get in @ USYD (which if you are serious about aerospace is where you wanna be).

https://careerlaunch.jpl.nasa.gov/ci20/index.jsp?applicationName=jplCA

hurikai

boredofposting
HSC
Like you said, employment in US will be hard to get unless I have a US degree - so I don't think it would be wise to spend 4 years in Usyd and end up unemployed?

I'm fairly sure I can get around 99.65, maybe a bit higher if I work hard.

About UTS - is it good for degrees other than civil? And how does that 1 year's of experience compare to the experience you get in a UNSW co-op program?

doink

Clone
HSC
UTS is good if you are doing straight Engineering programs since 5 years isn't that long and you get a taste of the degree, however it is not the greatest for all programs however in a course like engineering the uni you attend doesn't really matter once you graduate since it isn't a humanities degree.

That being said if you want to do a combined degree than i would suggest usyd or unsw since at uts it is 6 years long and if you want to do commerce or economics than they are better than UTS. End of the day after a year or two after graduating it won't matter which uni you went to and all of them are capable of giving you a quality education. Just go to the one that is closest/has more people you know going there.

antarctic

HSC
There seems to be a perception that there are no jobs in the aerospace field in Australia. Here's a list of companies who have taken aerospace engineering students as interns or hired graduates:

http://www.aeromech.usyd.edu.au/windsoc/company_database/company_database3.pdf

Most of these organisations are based in NSW.

As for acceptance of the degree in the US, both Australia and US are signatories of the Washington Accord, which means that an engineering degree from a recognised Australian institution will be accepted in the US:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_accord

The caveat with this is that many firms and government organisations involved with defence and/or other high-technologies will only hire people with US citizenship, largely due to security clearance issues. Others will require that you hold a Green Card (i.e. permission to work in the country).

Cyborgsanta

HSC
Aerospace engineering isn;t 99+ it's actually 92 at usyd and 89 at unsw or close ot those figures. Ur thinking about SPACE aerospace engineering. the normal aerospace is liek planes etc.

doink

Clone
HSC
Cyborgsanta said:
Aerospace engineering isn;t 99+ it's actually 92 at usyd and 89 at unsw or close ot those figures. Ur thinking about SPACE aerospace engineering. the normal aerospace is liek planes etc.
hahahhahahaha, oh man.

Aerospace = aeronautical (space) engineering, see the abbreviation?

aeronautical is ~90 UAI

u-borat

Banned
HSC
Can I combine an aerospace degree with an arts degree, or are those poles too far apart?

Supermodified

HSC
doink said:
hahahhahahaha, oh man.

Aerospace = aeronautical (space) engineering, see the abbreviation?

aeronautical is ~90 UAI
Er, no.

Aeronautical engineering is dated, and the term 'aerospace' has been adopted to encompass all disciplines.

doink

Clone
HSC
no it hasn't, space is simply an augmentation upon aeronautical. Its like the difference between civil and structural engineering.

Space can be applied to other subjects such as mechanical and mechatronic and saying aeronautical engineering is outdated is just stupid considering the space portion is simply some extra electives.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)