Aggregate, Bands and UAI (1 Viewer)

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Aligned mark refers to aligning the raw mark to fit performance bands.

If someone came first in the grade with 82% in English as their assessment mark, it would mean that the highest exam mark from the HSC will become his moderated assessment mark.

A raw mark of 80% will not align to 98-100.

Originally posted by Wohzazz
Also what would someone who get around 60% raw mark get if they are average in the grade?
No one knows. It depends on a few factors.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by Wohzazz
Also what would someone who get around 60% raw mark get if they are average in the grade?
If they are average in the grade, they will be assigned a moderated assessment mark which is similar to the average examination mark for that class.

Wohzazz

HSC
Originally posted by Ragerunner

If someone came first in the grade with 82% in English as their assessment mark, it would mean that the highest exam mark from the HSC will become his moderated assessment mark.

Sorry i didn't get that
So would 82% be counted as high band 6 for their assessment mark since they came first in their school

I keep hearing general myths about bands 6 being scoring a raw mark of 90-100 for English; pretty hard!
Isn't scaled and moderated, someone coming first in their school with 82% as their raw mark suppose to earn a high bands 6?
Scoring 95% raw mark for Math is so possible; English...impossible?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
What RR meant was that, if the top Exam mark was say 90, then the person with the top Assessment mark would have a mark of 90 for their Assessment mark.

As for the myth, that is untrue. You do not need a raw of 90-100, I can almost say for certain. Your exam marks are moderated (and usually to a higher mark).

Wohzazz

HSC
well i guess english will be moderated to lot higher than say mathematics
don't see 28+/30 essays out there though maths you do see people getting 98+%

Wohzazz

HSC
after reading through a few threads, i saw a lot of emphasis being placed on the ranking in a school to determine school assessment marks

so considering my school, i'm coming 40/110 in English ADV
school is around 25-40th in the HSC rankings , it tends to jump

what will be approxiamate scaled mark for English (raw marks have no effect- right?)?

Creator Failure

Maybe you should just wait until the results are released, otherwise you will be getting yourself into a spin about how good/bad you have performed...its less than one month until the HSC marks come back, so I'd just leave it, as there is nothing you can do about it ;)

shannonm

HSC
N/A
Re: Aggregate, Bands, Percentiles and UAI

Originally posted by Jeo
To get a UAI of 90, you need an aggregate of *about* 370
To get a UAI of 95, you need an aggregate of *about* 405
Hi. does 'aggregate' = the sum of my HSC Marks?
or a different set of marks?

Creator Failure

No.
Its not the sum of your HSC marks that you received from the Board....
The aggregate is determined from the sum of your *scaled* marks, which will be quite a lot lower than your aligned marks...

shannonm

HSC
N/A
bah, thanks
i thought i was going to do well there for a second

mememe

Hey if was to estimate my UAI from last years scaling stats etc, would i have to minus a few marks from all of my results to account for alignment, which usually inflates your results?

emily

bugger. how much lower are we talking?

like does anyone know approximately the average number of marks that your score out of 500 drops by when it is scaled marks rather than these aligned marks?

cos yeah, i was seriously happy there for a second!!

Creator Failure

Yeah, the scaled marks are quite a lot lower than the aligned marks you just got, 2 accomodate for the difficulty of certain courses...
If u did a difficult course, and obtained a decent HSC mark in that subject, ur scaled marks wont be that bad...
But if u did General Maths,for example, and did poorly, your scaled mark would be considerably lower than ur HSC mark (ie a HSC mark of 75 could easily become a scaled mark of 49)

However, the fact that the UAI is a ranking, means all candidates will undergo this scaling, and it ultimately depends on where u stand compared 2 your peers...

hope this has helped :)

shannonm

HSC
N/A
Ahh thanks for clearing that up Creator Failure.

(I'm playing around with this JUAIseek calculator - and I see getting a mark on 83 in general maths scales to 68.1, yet a mark on 80 in mathematics scales to 67.2 - and any hsc mark over 83 in IPT would scale better than my software mark of 79 - If only I found out all this stuff before picking my subject choices!

oh wellz :p

neester

I hope i did ok...
Raw marks I got add up to an aggregate of 409...

is that good to go off?
or should i wait for the scaling?
my IPT mark was 90.
my SDD mark was 88.
my ENG mark was 73.
my MTH mark was 81.
my PHYSIX mark was 77.
my 3UMath mark was 31/50.
my SOR mark was 38/50.

I only counted the 2u subjects for that top 10 mark aggragate...
I hope its what I get...
that would mean around 95UAI....
which would rock my fucking world!

Creator Failure

You can muck around with UAISeeker to get an estimate of ur UAI, using those aligned marks u just said...
However, I think u should wait until 2moro when u'll know 4 sure ;)

Creator Failure

Emily, the scaling in 2002 for Drama was something like 24.7 (on a one-unit basis) so it has average scaling...

Huy

HSC
N/A
@neester: Congrats with IPT, 90! *shakes hand* :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)