Aiming for high marks in general (1 Viewer)

xx__savannah

HSC
What was the really low-scoring trial exam? I'd love to do that one, CSSA was fairly easy and the past HSC papers aren't too difficult.

I'd love a band 6 in Gen Maths, but I screwed up a task due to caclulator in wrong mode, so my rank dropped alot, I think I've almost got it back after 91% in trial. It;s the only subject I'm good at, not just good compared to the rest of the class (i.e. IPT minus a few kids, Eco) so a high band 5 now would be awesome.

H

housemouse

omigodwhenover said:
Yep :) and i'm aiming for marks in both senses. I got 92 in my trial and apart from someone eelse getting 89 i dont think there were many other good marks. There is still time to improve. General Maths is a fairly easy course, and I think most people go wrong by reading the question wrong, or not rounding thier answer. Just stupid stuff. I think they give you plenty of time to finish the paper. I did my trial twice over just to check my answers and I picked up a few extra marks by doing so.
Good luck to everyone...
Its just that the people who pick this subject arent the brighest in maths.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
uhawww said:
Am I the only one who thinks the gap between General Maths and 2 unit maths is too large? I mean I couldn't handle the work load of 2 unit but I'm doing extremely well in general..
The two courses are very different, with general having a fair amount of statistics whereas in 2 unit, the course is calculus based. It's not uncommon to find general easy but 2 unit difficult if you were to continue doing it.

PC

HSC
N/A
uhawww said:
Am I the only one who thinks the gap between General Maths and 2 unit maths is too large? I mean I couldn't handle the work load of 2 unit but I'm doing extremely well in general..
Take the time to download the syllabus and have a read through it and then look at the original specimen paper and the first HSC paper in 2001. This exam is probably a fair bit harder than, say, the 2004 and 2005 exams.

Originally, the course was designed to be well worth 2 units of work, equivalent to 2 unit Maths, with more statistics and less calculus, but otherwise pretty hard. I think that the Board very quickly realised that people that chose this subject weren't all that good at Maths (otherwise they'd be doing 2, 3 or 4 unit) and so more recent papers have seemed to be "dumbed down". Most teachers in most schools would sensibly follow suit.

In short, yes, I agree that there is a large gap between 2 unit and General, but I don't think that was ever the intention.

So .. it probably sounds good for the class of 2006! But who knows ... this year's HSC paper might suddenly be a lot harder than the last few?!?

HSC
PC said:
Have a break. Put it away for a while. Come back to it on Tuesday.

Relax! Go outside for a while. Go for a jog or a bike ride. You'll feel much better!
Thanks, I was just stressed you know.
Lol yes I wondered if anyone liked the title of this thread. :)

ally147

HSC
goobabanasik said:
i got 88% in my trial.. that was the catholic one.. the people who got the low marks wat trial did u do??? any chance you could send it to me somehow???
I got 51% in my trial... one of 3 that passed... i'll try and send it to ya... how do i do that tho?

xxlambchopxx

HSC
i was extremely disappointed with my trial mark rank - 74%(9th) considering i was ranked 1st before this..
i found many of the questions really difficlt to understand, but i think that i should get in the 90's if i read the questions properly

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
xxlambchopxx said:
i was extremely disappointed with my trial mark rank - 74%(9th) considering i was ranked 1st before this..
i found many of the questions really difficlt to understand, but i think that i should get in the 90's if i read the questions properly
Yeah I had the same problem, alot of questions I didn't read properly then when I looked back over them once I had the trial back, I can't believe I didn't get them while I was in the exam.. lost about 8 marks all up from not reading questions properly.. the trial I had was really really bad though. It also seems from viewing various other trials and comparing to past HSC papers, the HSC papers are alot more straight forward (thankfully).

checkout_chik06

HSC
i found many of the questions really difficlt to understand, but i think that i should get in the 90's if i read the questions properly<!-- google_ad_section_end -->__________________

I understand you completely: I got the same mark in my trial, was coming first as well and should be getting 90% :S I was pretty upset but because the average was 45% I am now coming second. It's so easy to look back at exams and think that you need to read the questions properly but under exam conditions it's so easy to stuff up. I originally thought the trial was alright but now I realise it was fairly hard. I hope that everyone aiming good in general maths gets those marks!
Good luck!

HSC
Well...the exams are nearly here...to whoever put worked solutions to the 2005 paper in the resources section...I love you! That has been incredibley helpful when I get stuck, which, sadly, is still fairly often.

Okay, my maths teacher told me something, i don't know if it's right.
Apparently, the SD in general maths for the state is 12, and the mean is 60. So does that mean that if I get more than 84/100 (raw mark) I will get a band 6 in general maths?

Forgive me if the above thing is wrong...its 12:11am and I am very tired.

PC

HSC
N/A
ElendilPeredhil said:
Apparently, the SD in general maths for the state is 12, and the mean is 60. So does that mean that if I get more than 84/100 (raw mark) I will get a band 6 in general maths?
Short answer is no. I think 84% will be more like Band 5. General Maths is (one of) the hardest subjects in which to get a Band 6 result (usually less than 3% of candidature).

Longer answer is that the mean might be somewhere around 60 and the SD might be somewhere around 12, simply due to the large candidature (around 30 000 students).

But the current system used by Board of Studies is outcomes based, i.e. not scaled to a set mean and standard deviation. I think there is a bit of "mapping" which is different to scaling. So from year to year the proportion of Band 6s, 5s, and so on is different, depending on what the students demonstrate that they can do in the exam and in assessment tasks.

Basically, say everyone in the state gets 95% or above, then everyone in the state will get Band 6. Doesn't matter about the results from previous year. That's the theory anyway. I think the Board of Studies site gives the different proportions of all the band awards from year to year.

Bottom line is ... do your best and you'll get a mark and a band that you deserve.

Last edited:

*Lozzie*

HSC
checkout_chik06 said:
It's so easy to look back at exams and think that you need to read the questions properly but under exam conditions it's so easy to stuff up. I originally thought the trial was alright but now I realise it was fairly hard. I hope that everyone aiming good in general maths gets those marks!
Good luck!
i know what u mean i thought ours was ok originally but we got the marks back and i got 51% i had missed some questions and i didnt relise i had ( it was set out stupid) looking at the HSC set out its not too bad but i also miss read some questions finguers crossed for the HSC

raiders771

HSC
i got 96% for general maths and came equal first in my trial... i find it a breeze finished the 2004 hsc the other day in an hour and got 100%

mishyma

HSC
i must admit the Public school trial paper was a total mind fuck .. duno what the catholic kids got.. but ours was nuts

sedated_mind

HSC
our trial was a bit fucked at my school and i came 1st with 77% which is my worst maths mark all year i usually get 87+ so hopefully i can get that on the exam day lol

PC

HSC
N/A
Might have been a really hard paper. Or maybe it was just a f**king stupid paper. That happens sometimes.

Digi

HSC
N/A
I got 81% in trials... and was ranked 15th so i dunno if it was easy or not...

n8r

HSC
mmm i got 96 in trial and am ranked 1st, so hopefully 2moz with 99+ in exam ill get state ranking.
ne1 else goin for state ranking?

goosiegoo

HSC
I'm doing the HSC next year, and i'm aiming for a band 6. I could handle a band 5.. but i intend to study like mad so i don't have any excuses for not getting a band 6. :p I'm coming first at the moment.. but i didn't do too well in my last exam.. 4th in the year.. but not up to my standards. But that's because i stopped listening in class and stopped doing work. :p (I went from 93% in my half yearly's to 73% in my yearly's).

Anywho, you're not the only one aiming for high marks. Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)