Alain de Botton (1 Viewer)

frenchie

HSC
Anybody else familiar with this contemporary philospher? I just finished two of his books - Status Anxiety and How Proust Can Change Your Life.

Status Anxiety explored how notions of 'individual worth' have changed across the centuries, and possible responses to help us deal with feeling worthless and unimportant.

However my favourite was his idiots guide to the works of Marcel Proust. The book was so tight and well researched that I coiuldn't put it down and was finished within two days. He interprets some pretty lengthy books that most wouldn't want to read (In Search of Lost Time), and points to what Proust had to say about everyday things - friendship, love, etc. But its not wishy washy babble...most chapters contain concrete advice that even if not followed, atleast provide food for thought.

Can't recommend these books enough.

Other thoughts would be welcomed.

phatic

HSC
I read his "Consolations of Philosophy" a while ago. It was second rate. I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone who is seriously interested in philosophy. It's a very patchy attempt at relating the ideas of more prominent philosophers to the uninitiated reader.

Yeah...

frenchie

HSC
Haha well I've enjoyed two of his books...so chances are I will peruse the one you hated, and I might like it. It does concern me however, that by reading his books I am an 'uninitiated reader'....always thought that I was atleast partially initiated. :confused:

phatic

HSC
What! You said you couldn't recommend them. Oh wait. I appear to have misread. Shit, I only just realised that last word was "enough"; I thought it was "though". I'm a fool!

You're only uninitiated if you read the book I mentioned. If you stay away from it, you are fine. You have been warned.

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
I read Status Anxiety and watched the docu...it was good but he doesnt really do anything more then just draw upon other doctrines, to try and state something original.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)