Alice in Wonderland: illogical logic? (1 Viewer)

Dr_Gorgeous

HSC
At the moment, there is a 'debate' in our class about Alice in Wonderland and Lewis Carrolls order of thinking. Half argue that he was a brilliant problem solver and puzzle man, while the rest reckon he was seriously trippin. What do you think?

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Plenty of poets in particular went to narcotics for inspiration, Coleridge being the best known example. It might've happened in the case of Carroll, but there's no evidence to suggest that he was high while writing the Alice books from what I've read of him.

Eslyssa

HSC
Carroll was both a Mathematician, and a Reverend, fyi. There's also signficant reasons to believe that he was in some ways pedophiliac. Certainly he liked being around naked little girls.

However, there's no evidence that he was on any kind of mind altering substances when he wrote Alice.

Grobus

Laughing Boy
HSC
Its my opinion that he is a pedophile weirdo. He took a shitload of drugs too.

For the record the book is actually "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland".

kaylz

HSC
quote lear. reason and impertinence mixed or something reason in madness? anyway, there's always some sort of logic to any application of the imagination.

mrbassman

0.38 posts per day...meh
HSC
This guy was the cause of one of the most boring math lectures i have ever sat through. The lecturer thought it was hilarious that the queen sent dodgson a letter saying she loved alice and wanted a copy of his next book. it turned out to be some math book on logic and how disappointed she must have been

ebsha

HSC
eh, theres a very fine line between insanity and genius. perhaps he was sitting on the line, swaying to and fro? :p

camzilla

HSC
my english told me he was very very high at the time or writing alice in wonderland. either way I don't care..it's my fav book ever!

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
Grobus said:
Its my opinion that he is a pedophile weirdo. He took a shitload of drugs too.

For the record the book is actually "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland".
Alot of the great Gothic/Victorian books have been written by these social fucktards. The author of Jeckyl/Hyde was another heavy opiate user. Mary Shelley, author of Frankenstein, is remembered to have bled into a vat of soup which was then served to her extended family. Lastly, another favourite of the board, William {Butler} Yeats repeteadly asked Maude Gonne (famous Irish revolutionary) to marry him...when she wouldn't agree...he went for her daughter ;).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)