All-Asian Mall (2 Viewers)

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
nah thats wrong, if the U.S. wanted to nuke china into oblivion they could, and fear no reprisal from the chinese.
I don't agree with that. Lets assume you are correct however, and that the US can nuke most of mainland China so it is not a threat. The question then is what about the 4 million Chinese background people living in the US? I can't imagine they would be too happy about it. With them being on home soil you would have to be tactile about the situation which would cause huge domestic problems.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
try not being able to speak vietnamese in canley vale
I know (Cabramatta more specifically). Yes, it is a bit of a problem, but the rate of growth for Vietnamese living in Australia is minimal/not a big issue. Whereas for China on the other hand...

It seems stupid, but if you are not Vietnamese you are treated differently in the Vietnamese bakeries, where if you are Caucasian they won't give you your change unless you specifically ask for it.

HSC
Uni Grad
actually i would be more worried about iran/north korea and their nuclear program.
True.

Chinese people actually help grow Australia's economy, which is what is important for Australia; economic growth. Besides, Australia's interests should come first as opposed to the interests of other nations. So if it needs to rely on China for protection and economic growth, then it wouldn't be a bad idea if it could dog the US, provided that the US does nothing to help Australia.

Also, personally I believe that immigrants retaining their own lifestyles is a good thing; at least it creates more places to eat, to shop and to do whatever we want. Basically it gives more diversity, which is essential for Australia to keep running in the way that is currently is running. Provided that they do not rely on welfare for their living or do not cause harm to society, then they are acceptable.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
I don't agree with that. Lets assume you are correct however, and that the US can nuke most of mainland China so it is not a threat. The question then is what about the 4 million Chinese background people living in the US? I can't imagine they would be too happy about it. With them being on home soil you would have to be tactile about the situation which would cause huge domestic problems.
internment camps have worked before

also, what don't you agree with? china has no operational ballistic missile submarines, and has a meager arsenal of around 20 (44 if you include the DF-31, which is more likely to fall out of the sky) intercontinental ballistic missiles capable of reaching the U.S. the only way the russians ever imagined they'd hit mainland U.S. with nukes was first, through submarine launched missiles, and secondly, an all-out intercontinental ballistic missile swarm (we're talking atleast 2,000 ballistic missiles headed to the major population centres). china doesn't have shit, and certainly doesn't have second strike capability. the U.S. would make it rain.

Last edited:

halapenyo

HSC
those 4 million would be smart to proclaim loyalty to america in that scenario.

and soloooo wouldnt you rather have clusters of non english speaking migrants instead of a more even spread?

HSC
Uni Grad

also, what don't you agree with? china has no operational ballistic missile submarines, and has a meager arsenal of around 20 intercontinental ballistic missiles capable of reaching the U.S. the only way the russians ever imagined they'd hit mainland U.S. with nukes was first, through submarine launched missiles, and secondly, an all-out intercontinental ballistic missile swarm (we're talking atleast 2,000 ballistic missiles headed to the major population centres). china doesn't have shit.
Only thing is that they have a beast no. of people and an army selection process, in which the people selected are smart and fit as heck.

But then again that doesn't mean much compared with all the weapons that the US has :/

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
True.

Chinese people actually help grow Australia's economy, which is what is important for Australia; economic growth. Besides, Australia's interests should come first as opposed to the interests of other nations. So if it needs to rely on China for protection and economic growth, then it wouldn't be a bad idea if it could dog the US, provided that the US does nothing to help Australia.
Of course China is good for Australia's economy currently. In a military/strategic situation though, Australia is never going to side with China over the US.

Also, personally I believe that immigrants retaining their own lifestyles is a good thing; at least it creates more places to eat, to shop and to do whatever we want. Basically it gives more diversity, which is essential for Australia to keep running in the way that is currently is running. Provided that they do not rely on welfare for their living or do not cause harm to society, then they are acceptable.
Immigration 50 years ago was great and at a good level. Each suburb got a Greek restaurant, a Chinese restaurant, an Italian restaurant, a Vietnamese restaurant etc. Now-a-days thoguh no suburb needs 100 Chinese restaurants.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Yes, but I don't want to be the next Hitler. No, thanks.

also, what don't you agree with? china has no operational ballistic missile submarines, and has a meager arsenal of around 20 (44 if you include the DF-31, which is more likely to fall out of the sky) intercontinental ballistic missiles capable of reaching the U.S. the only way the russians ever imagined they'd hit mainland U.S. with nukes was first, through submarine launched missiles, and secondly, an all-out intercontinental ballistic missile swarm (we're talking atleast 2,000 ballistic missiles headed to the major population centres). china doesn't have shit, and certainly doesn't have second strike capability. the U.S. would make it rain.
The strength of China is 1) its population and 2) its economy. The sheer number of its citizens are a danger, especially once they spread more globally and infiltrate other countries (yet are still for the most part aligned with China not their country of residence). If the US trys to manage/subdue China as likely will be required, then the dip in the economy will likely send the world and the us into recession.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
those 4 million would be smart to proclaim loyalty to america in that scenario.
Everything about that statement goes against the Chinese culture/pride though (I do agree it would be the smart thing to do however).

and soloooo wouldnt you rather have clusters of non english speaking migrants instead of a more even spread?
No. Diversity is good. If you have a few Sydney suburbs that is 90% Chinese, then they are not diverse and that is bad. It would be better that all Australian suburbs were 5% Chinese etc.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
Yes, but I don't want to be the next Hitler. No, thanks.
aww that's no fun

The strength of China is 1) its population and 2) its economy. The sheer number of its citizens are a danger, especially once they spread more globally and infiltrate other countries (yet are still for the most part aligned with China not their country of residence). If the US trys to manage/subdue China as likely will be required, then the dip in the economy will likely send the world and the us into recession.
china has been the most populous 'country' in the world for thousands of years, and as a result has had one of the most sizable economies. the last two centuries have been an aberration in terms of the (lack of) chinese prestige, hence why the period of roughly 1820-1940 is referred to as the century of humiliation. for hundreds of centuries too, the chinese have been spreading globally and infiltrating other countries. so none of these three variables you identify are historically unique, and they therefore fail to explain why now, at this very moment, china is uniquely threatening. it is not at all clear that the chinese harbour the same pretensions to hegemony (read: imperial) as the united states does and the british did before it, nor does it seem that they are inherently expansionist like the USSR. what's your real concern?

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
if you cared to read that article, or putnam's research (both past and current), you'd know that this wasn't a big deal as you're making it out to be. the conclusion is not that diversity is necessarily good or bad, but that its consequences are contingent. in the context of high socio-economic status, political engagement and community congeniality, diversity is good.

the flipside is that boatloads of moslems usually turns out to be a case of diversity being bad.

Last edited:

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
if you cared to read that article, or putnam's research (both past and current), you'd know that this wasn't a big deal as you're making it out to be. the conclusion is not that diversity is necessarily good or bad, but that its consequences are contingent. in the context of high socio-economic status, political engagement and community congeniality, diversity is good.

the flipside is that boatloads of moslems usually turns out to be a case of diversity being bad.
no of course i didnt read it

but why is diversity good in high SES

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
no of course i didnt read it

but why is diversity good in high SES
there's the selection effect; because high SES areas don't attract latinos and blacks (i.e. the poors). also higher incidence of bilingualism, better business relationships etc. more importantly, only the 'good' ethnics (i.e. the higher SES ones) move into high SES communities. the thing about putnam's research is that it's a snapshot of the U.S. and therefore fundamentally determined by the unique demography and geography of the U.S. it also doesn't deal at all with the 'enclave' effect; diversity is such a broad concept and aggregated data on diversity and social capital doesn't capture the deleterious effects of clusterisation and isolation of ethnic communities (i.e. enclaves)

Last edited:

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Why would the US want to start a war with China?
Is it because they have small eyes and no noses?

Jusnotsure

HSC
N/A
its no point going to their site, they only deleted them, like mine, nothing rude, just facts! I am Asian and have been living in Castle Hill for many years, shop a lot at Castle Mall. Chat with some shop owners and stuffs many time. Even before the fruit market moved out, business had been bad for many. Then after they announced that the big Asian supermarket is coming, some shop owners (mind you, Aussie!) said they welcomed the change hoping that it would help to bring the crowd in and help their business. And a few shop owners having to relocate are ASIAN!! But ACA wants to hear this?? No..not interested!

Cheesecake_a

HSC
So I guess the 'Australian' National Anthem means nothing anymore, considering the line:

''For those who've come across the seas, we've boundless plains to share.''

And now everyone is complaining they don't want to share, that there is an overflow of asians, migrants, or what have you. To ''Stop the boats''.

For a very long time, it is going to stay the way it is, or even continue to grow (i.e multiculturalism.) And for those who think that this is not ''Australian'' and that we need to go back to what we had before (ie less asians/migrants) then I think we should give the Indigenous people of Australia a voice since it is THEIR LAND.

I have come across people who assume that Australia is this white nation, the ''Aussie way''. Yet to those people I have spoken to, they fail to address the true Australians of this nation.

Migrants, asians etc, have made positive impacts to our society, and also negative, but you will get that in any country. And we need to remember and assist the true Australians.

And to go back to topic, ACA, Today Tonight, is a racist, sensationalist program/s who have a very poor journalistic quality.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
So I guess the 'Australian' National Anthem means nothing anymore, considering the line:

''For those who've come across the seas, we've boundless plains to share.''

It also says we're free, and yet plain-packaged cigarettes. Cmon bro.

For a very long time, it is going to stay the way it is, or even continue to grow (i.e multiculturalism.) And for those who think that this is not ''Australian'' and that we need to go back to what we had before (ie less asians/migrants) then I think we should give the Indigenous people of Australia a voice since it is THEIR LAND.
What do you mean when you say "give a voice"?

WeaselPowa

HSC
People should be happy that there is an Asian Mall. Expansion of culture is a good thing :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)