all my own work-creative writing (1 Viewer)

bobohappy

HSC
hey there,

for the past 2 years the examiners for english have placed this statement in the 'marking guidelines/notes'

Some candidates were found to have reproduced, without acknowledgement, sourced work, borrowing storyline, structure and/or language. These responses were regarded as limited in their appropriateness and received marks only for the parts of the response that were original. Candidates are reminded that responses must satisfy the requirement of the BOS ‘All My Own Work’ policy.

how do you think they found out???????

is it possible that they take a copy of all band 6 answers??????????????

terminator69

HSC
I'd say it would rely on the marker's individual ability to recognise something they have seen before and nothing more.

bobohappy

HSC
surely they must have a better system to this,

i mean its been a year at the minimum since they last read any creative pieces, how would they be SURE that people have copied/ quote 'reproduced' other's works???

does anyone know if the chief examiner has to read all of the creatives???

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
surely they must have a better system to this,

i mean its been a year at the minimum since they last read any creative pieces, how would they be SURE that people have copied/ quote 'reproduced' other's works???

does anyone know if the chief examiner has to read all of the creatives???

The SOM (Supervisor of Marking) is way toooooooo busy to read all the creative scripts. Remember they mark about 48 - 60 per night so for one person to read all of them would take ages.

The markers aren't only recognising past student's work but more likely recognising other texts written by professionals that the student doesn't think the markers will have read. English markers read heaps of stuff so it is more the ideas rather than the actual works.

If they suspect that the work isn't the student's own work the SOM would have to check it out before making a decision e.g. marker takes a script to their SM (Senior Marker) and says something like: "I think I have read this before in xxxxx" They would then get a copy of xxxxxx and check it through. If the SM agrees with the marker it would be taken to the SOM who with the SM would determine what was able to be marked and what had to be ignored. Then the SM would return the script to the original marker for marking.

This process could take a couple of days and they are very carefully guided.

I also feel sure that many scripts get through by the luck of the drawer in that student A got Markers 1 and 4 who didn't recognise anything amiss while student B got Markers 2 and 3 who did. Bad luck for B and lucky A. The reason for two markers is that every script is double marked and it would only take one of the markers to pick up something amiss and not both.

bobohappy

HSC
hmm that's very interesting

what do you think are the likely chances that if you used a band6 response from a past student, that the examiners would be able to pick you out?

btw, do you know if the teachers mark the same centre no. each year?

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC

what do you think are the likely chances that if you used a band6 response from a past student, that the examiners would be able to pick you out?

You sound like you're plagirising >.>

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

As the markers have the option to change topics etc there is no way that they give the same centres to each marker each year.

I couldn't even tell you what centres I marked last year let alone remember if I had ever marked that centre before.

In addition there is a 10% turn around of markers each year so the markers don't get the same centre each year (although I am sure that I do mark some centres regularly as I mark some of the smaller Modern History Personalities but I also mark Speer and Leni).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)