Alternative readings.... (1 Viewer)

chels777

HSC
no they are not in fact my teacher said not to put them in because it makes the essay seem like u dont have ur own opinion which u need in the critical study

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
chels777 has essentially captured the essence of this.

Readings aren't required in this new syllabus (2009-2012). They were required for the old syllabus (pre-2009), however, are no longer necessary.

That being said, you are still allowed to use them, to strengthen/deepen/enunciate a point. It should be no longer than two sentences - as chels777 said, if you centre your entire essays around a reading of Hamlet/Speeches etc etc, then it leads the marker to believe you don't have your own opinion, which is necessary in Module B.

amour

Female
HSC
chels777 has essentially captured the essence of this.

Readings aren't required in this new syllabus (2009-2012). They were required for the old syllabus (pre-2009), however, are no longer necessary.

That being said, you are still allowed to use them, to strengthen/deepen/enunciate a point. It should be no longer than two sentences - as chels777 said, if you centre your entire essays around a reading of Hamlet/Speeches etc etc, then it leads the marker to believe you don't have your own opinion, which is necessary in Module B.
Thank you very much Aerath and Chels777

amour

Female
HSC
The fuck is a reading?
They are other perspectives of the text, such as Freudian readings emphasise memory playing an integral part in human experience, etc.etc

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
Are you talking about a feminist reading, a postmodern reading, etc.?

In that case, as of the new syllabus, this is not required. However, you should use critics to support your point and use critical perspectives to arrive at an enriched personal understanding.

amour

Female
HSC
Are you talking about a feminist reading, a postmodern reading, etc.?

In that case, as of the new syllabus, this is not required. However, you should use critics to support your point and use critical perspectives to arrive at an enriched personal understanding.
Yeh those readings! Oh, i've never come across critics :s where do I start? I actually have no idea what to do with critics.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yeh those readings! Oh, i've never come across critics :s where do I start? I actually have no idea what to do with critics.
You don't need critics. But they may be put in to strengthen an argument.

D94

HSC
N/A
You don't need critics. But they may be put in to strengthen an argument.
You should be having critics, or other perspectives. It's a critical study, and whilst your own opinion would satisfy the requirements of this Module, having other critics also shows you've read into other sources, and expanded your knowledge.

Straight from the syllabus:
Students explore the ideas expressed in the text through analysing its construction, content and language. They examine how particular features of the text contribute to textual integrity. They research others’ perspectives of the text and test these against their own understanding and interpretations of the text. Students discuss and evaluate the ways in which the set work has been read, received and valued in historical and other contexts. They extrapolate from this study of a particular text to explore questions of textual integrity and significance.

amour

Female
HSC
You should be having critics, or other perspectives. It's a critical study, and whilst your own opinion would satisfy the requirements of this Module, having other critics also shows you've read into other sources, and expanded your knowledge.

Straight from the syllabus:
Thanks for that D94. I guess I'll just do two sentences on a Freudian reading

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)