Alternetive ways to uni? (1 Viewer)

flyingboat

HSC
Hi,

I did not do well in my HSC so I cannot do Bachelor of Applied Design (Digital Media) at any uni or college such as billy blue. However I was wondering if it is possible to transfer from TAFE to uni or billy blue?

Or, is there any other alternatives that I can go to uni?

Thanks in advance.

Kralex

HSC
no, you're screwed for life.

Yes it is possible.

I know someone that went TAFE > UWS > USYD (this must shit a lot of members here lol)

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
What was your atar?

Try get into a Bachelor of Arts somewhere, do well, and then transfer after your first year.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
I agree with this.

I feel like such a chum doing a degree at uni with no job..
LOL my gf got told by her professor after she got her degree that they'd rather hire people from TAFE anyway (biomed)

flyingboat

HSC
no, you're screwed for life.

Yes it is possible.

I know someone that went TAFE > UWS > USYD (this must shit a lot of members here lol)
Are there any specific course that has greater chance to transfer to uni?

I agree with this.

I feel like such a chum doing a degree at uni with no job..
But im sure u will have a better future

What was your atar?

Try get into a Bachelor of Arts somewhere, do well, and then transfer after your first year.
In all honesty,

my ATAR was "30 or below"

You can wait until you're 21 and go as mature age.
What are the differences and benefit?

Last edited:

Kralex

HSC
Are there any specific course that has greater chance to transfer to uni?

But im sure u will have a better future
You have every chance with any course to transfer into uni. Just work hard.

And lol, look at the degree I'm doing. My future is low pay unless I get lucky.

Moldy81

UWS Course Info
HSC
Hi,
There are a number of Alternative Pathways available to applicants who do not meet the ATAR cut-off for a course. Some of these include:
- Unitrack: Individual Unit enrolment at UWS;
- UWS College: Diploma Pathways and Foundation programs, and;
- Vocational Education and Training (VET) Pathways from Community College, TAFE and Private Colleges.

For more information on the Alternative Pathways, click on the above links. I recommend looking into the VET Pathways, as you may find they are most appropriate for your area of interest.
For advice on the best options for you, contact the Course Information Line on 1300 879 669 or study@uws.edu.au
Best regards,
UWS Course Info

MathsIsWeird

HSC
What are the differences and benefit?[/QUOTE said:
To be honest i want to know what being mature age does aswell.
From what i have heard and read mature age only matters when you have extensive work experience and/or if you have done the STAT test.
I don't think being 21 does anything but ill wait and see, this time around i am definitely mature age last year i don't think i was (depending on the date set by the uni, i think i was 2 days off last year)
You shouldn't rely on mature age as entry and you shouldn't expect to get into uni even if you have completed a tafe diploma unless its A. at a low demand course B. at a crap uni.
You may get into a good uni course if you get very good results.
I was told (by UTS staff) you don't need a STAT test if you went to tafe because they only use your diploma and ATAR/UAI for your application but my friend who did the same tafe course as me did the STAT test and they asked him for a personal reference since he did well in the STAT, you should always do the STAT to supplement what you currently have, since i didn't do the STAT my chances of getting the same course as him which we both applied for are now lower because of my mistake of not doing the STAT.

HSC
"You shouldn't rely on mature age as entry and you shouldn't expect to get into uni even if you have completed a tafe diploma unless its A. at a low demand course B. at a crap uni."
^ Whilst you're correct in saying that mature age alone is not sufficient for entry, if we're discussing age alone, I'm sorry but the rest of what you said there is not correct at all. If someone has aced their tafe diploma, they're not going to be put on the "maybe" pile, and you should have a high expectation of gaining entry to university with a *completed* tafe diploma.

Mature age and alternative entry, when over the age of 20, seem to have a blurred line. Check the distinctions between mature age and alternative entry at the universities you're applying at. I've been applying to UNSW, and in order to be competitive as a mature age entrant, you need to complete one of a list of 4 tertiary preparation courses, I did Open Foundation at University of Newcastle (they convert your course marks into an ATAR, I scored an 87 :D, much better than my 2005 UAI of 55). However for alternative entry they take your previous tertiary study (TAFE, private colleges, other university study etc). Some unis like Macquarie and UTS ask you to submit a personal statement/essay along with previous study which is used along with your application for mature age, with heavy emphasis on the personal statement. So make sure to check the difference between an institutions alternative entry and mature age entry.

When I left high school I went straight to TAFE at Ultimo and completed a laboratory (pathology) diploma, 2 year course. The time I finished I was 20, and UTS considered me a mature age student. Most other unis it's 21, but UTS it's 20. All I did was submit an essay to the university and did the UAC application as usual and I got in, in 2008 to the B Biomedical Science. Stayed there for 2 years but left, because the course structure wasn't what I was after (I wanted to major in microbiology and they didn't provide that for me, plus being in a course I didn't like decimated my grade average because I hated turning up to classes I didn't want to do) + life problems got in the way to boot. They take your tafe results, and if you don't have them, then I guess previous work experience. Or if you've done a tertiary preparation certificate, like Open Foundation at UNCLE (which is recognised and recommended by UNSW and USYD). They didn't use my UAI at all - was probably out of date by that time.

I've never done the STAT test, but I honestly would only do it if your TAFE results were not good at all i.e you anticipate that you failed a core unit and will have to come back the following year to repeat it. About 1/3 of my pathology cohort, all made it to UTS with me, either in the same degree I did or the B Medical Science or the B Forensic Science (or whatever their forensics is called, can't remember), and nobody took the STAT. Others went to other unis such as Macquarie and Wollongong with no STAT as well. Whether you want to take the STAT is up to you. If you feel it's going to help you, then by all means do it. However not many universities will accept just STAT results on their own, so you can't just do STAT and expect to get into uni. I think Macquarie deem the STAT as sole entry for mature age students, but they may be the only one.

The benefits of mature age? If you pick up some tafe courses or college courses, you get the chance to study more and get ahead of the group when you get to uni, get yourself a qualifcation or two and have the time to figure out if it's really what you want to do. They don't use your ATAR/UAI. I wouldn't say it's easier, but it is definitely less stressful than HSC. You're getting difficult work whether at tafe, college or prep course, but you're not harassed with the looming cloud of scaling and other bullshit like that. What marks you achieve, they are yours. They won't fiddle with them, or scale them. If you get credit average, they'll judge you on credit average. (probably nobody would use the UAI anymore though I guess :p)

The negatives? It obviously takes longer. There's the chance you may be demotivated.

Long story short, mature age entry does not mean you have done STAT test or extensive work history. Like myself, you could've done a tafe diploma, or done the Open Foundation course at UNCLE. Plus, not every university accepts the STAT test alone as a means for mature age entry. I think maybe Macquarie does that, but am not sure 100%.

P.S There's also another pathway I haven't seen mentioned that frequently around here, Newstep at UNCLE. It's for people aged 18-20, so it's something you should have a look into, and it's a one year course, where at the end of it all I believe you get another ATAR which overanks your year 12 one, but don't quote me on that, do your research. Site for more info here http://www.newcastle.edu.au/students/foundation-studies/newstep/ As it's sponsored by the government, the course itself is free, you just need to pay for textbooks + other uni expenses. Definitely something worth checking out if you can travel to the Central Coast or Newcastle.

Good luck with whatever happens dude! Jeebus christ on rollerblades, sorry for the novel :/

gwenwiver

HSC
N/A
If you are mature aged you will be in a different category to students who have just left school. Therefore you don't necessarily compete with those students who apply based on HSC results
In the past a particular university might have say 120 places to fill in a particular course. They would have made a decision as to how those places will be allocated eg 100 to school leavers and 20 to mature aged students. So mature aged students will be competing for one of the 20 places.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)