• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Am>gm (1 Viewer)

untouchablecuz

HSC
Yeah, I agree. It's a well known mathematical fact. Just say 'Using the AM-GM inequality...'

even then, if you lose a mark for it, it's 1 mark out of 120. I accidentally skipped a page, lost 7 marks or something, and still got 95.
you must of killed it

jet

Banned
HSC
WOW man i wud never have come up with something like that,,,,,hence proving that it IS HARD for me to prove, maybe not for you xD ty for doin it so easy =]]]
There's a few different proofs on Wikipedia; pick your favourite.

untouchablecuz

HSC
just to clarify guys; thats cambridge's proof :eek:

i dont wanna be sued for intellectual property theft or something

:p

jet

Banned
HSC
at the risk of sounding like an idiot: is this proving x <= e^(x-1) assuming that (a1+a2...+an)/n <= nth root of (aXbX..Xn)
He's just using it to help prove the AM-GM inequality; it's a means to an end.

jet

Banned
HSC
Just do it this way:
f(x) = e^(x - 1) - x
f'(x) has one stationary point - it's a minimum.
At that minimum, f(x) = 0
Therefore f(x) ≥ 0

HSC
N/A
just to clarify guys; thats cambridge's proof :eek:

i dont wanna be sued for intellectual property theft or something

:p
To clarify even further, it should be said that it's Pólya's proof, not Cambridge's.

And it came to him in a dream!

untouchablecuz

HSC
To clarify even further, it should be said that it's Pólya's proof, not Cambridge's.

And it came to him in a dream!
oo, indeed it is

on behalf of Mr. George Pólya estate, i am suing Cambridge for intellectual property theft

:eek:

Last edited:

untouchablecuz

HSC
Just do it this way:
f(x) = e^(x - 1) - x
f'(x) has one stationary point - it's a minimum.
At that minimum, f(x) = 0
Therefore f(x) ≥ 0
yer but im asking that if i drew the graphs and stated that "from the graph of each function we can see that x<=ex - 1 for all real x", would it be accepted?

shaon0

HSC
yer but im asking that if i drew the graphs and stated that "from the graph of each function we can see that x<=ex - 1 for all real x", would it be accepted?
I don't think so because your graph could be inaccurate. Best way to prove it is Jetblack2007's way.

duckcowhybrid

HSC
How do you people set out these fucked up inequalities. I have no clue how to set them out, I normally just work backwards till I get a perfect square > 0 or someshit then rewrite the whole thing forwards by saying consider (instert last line of working backwards).

jet

Banned
HSC
How do you people set out these fucked up inequalities. I have no clue how to set them out, I normally just work backwards till I get a perfect square > 0 or someshit then rewrite the whole thing forwards by saying consider (instert last line of working backwards).
I can imagine where it will go in my head.
Also, practice. Generally you will have seen the proof/question before. If BOS think nobody will have or have approached the question from a different perspective, it will be a multi-part question leading you into the result.

untouchablecuz

HSC
do alot of them and it becomes natural

initially i was very much like this

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)