Am i guaranteed to get an offer in the MAIN ROUND?? (1 Viewer)

Brightergull

HSC
Soooo my first three preferences which have been locked in right before the deadline for the main round offers are
1) B Eng/ Master of Biomedical Eng (UNSW)
2) Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechanical)(Space) (USYD)
3) Bachelor of Engineering (Electrical)/Master of Engineering (Electrical) (UNSW)

I exceeded the ATAR cutoff for preferences 1 and 3. So am i GUARANTEEEEEEED to get a main round offer for 1 and 3?????
Because now i feel that i should swap the positions of 1 with 3 incase they don't give me an offer for pref no.3. But they got to right??? like i exceeded the cutoff.

CaptainPrice

HSC
You're never guaranteed, the cutoffs can change due to the degree's popularity.

You should order them in the positions you want them (i.e. if you like space best, put it as 1st)

You'll only get an offer for the first atar cutoff you exceed (you don't get to choose or anything)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
you don't know whether you exceeded the cutoffs as they haven't been determined yet.

Any mention you've seen of cutoffs are either last years ones or an estimate.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
1. You are guaranteed nothing as Rafy has posted above.
2. You only receive ONE offer per round.
3. You must order your preferences according to your own desirability. You can't game the system; it's an automated process.

Brightergull

HSC
Wait, i'm confused. Does that mean there is a chance i cant get into preference 3??? Because thats what i sorta want to do and i heard that rounds after the main round are just to fill in remaining spots.. And arent the cutoffs already listed on the 2015 course lists for each uni??. Because according to them prer no.1 has an Atar cutoff of 92 while pref no.3 has an atar cutoff of 95.45 while my ATAR was 96.55

Brightergull

HSC
Furthermore exceeding the given cutoffs. Plus the cutoffs cant change by that much of a degree anyway...hopefully

slai123

HSC
Wait, i'm confused. Does that mean there is a chance i cant get into preference 3??? Because thats what i sorta want to do and i heard that rounds after the main round are just to fill in remaining spots.. And arent the cutoffs already listed on the 2015 course lists for each uni??. Because according to them prer no.1 has an Atar cutoff of 92 while pref no.3 has an atar cutoff of 95.45 while my ATAR was 96.55
Ohh with your atar I reckon you can 100% get into course 1. If you get accepted to course 1 then the others wont be looked at. Thats why heaps of people say put the ones you really want first- even if your atar is not high enough. I think with your atar and the course cut off for preference 1- you will get an offer for your first preference- for main rounds at least.

But check if your course number 3 offers late rounds- you can do that by searching 'atar 2014 cut off' if your course has a (v) beside it- it will offer spots in the later rounds- if there are any left

Last edited:

Brightergull

HSC
W
Ohh with your atar I reckon you can 100% get into course 1. If you get accepted to course 1 then the others wont be looked at. Thats why heaps of people say put the ones you really want first- even if your atar is not high enough. I think with your atar and the course cut off for preference 1- you will get an offer for your first preference- for main rounds at least.

But check if your course number 3 offers late rounds- you can do that by searching 'atar 2014 cut off' if your course has a (v) beside it- it will offer spots in the later rounds- if there are any left

DAMMMMMMMMITTT!!! There is no (V). Now what?? :(. I swear if only i didnt go overseas....i wouldnt have forgotten to reconsider my preferences.....

slai123

HSC
W

DAMMMMMMMMITTT!!! There is no (V). Now what?? :(. I swear if only i didnt go overseas....i wouldnt have forgotten to reconsider my preferences.....
So if there isn't a (v)- that just means that they accept who they can in the main rounds. But since you placed an 92 atar course first and you have an atar of 96. I think there is a high chance that you will get an offer for your first course.

Brightergull

HSC
So if there isn't a (v)- that just means that they accept who they can in the main rounds. But since you placed an 92 atar course first and you have an atar of 96. I think there is a high chance that you will get an offer for your first course.
Thanks alot man! But the sad news is i dont even want to do my first pref anymore. I just realised how good prer no.3 is and wanted to do that :(

engineering

HSC
N/A
W

Always accept your first round offer, even if it is not what you want. You can always drop it later without financial penalty.

You will only get a second round offer if there is a spot available in a preference higher than the one you got in main round (unless you change your preferences). You cannot get a second round offer if you got your first preference in the main round (unless you change your preferences). Hence to maximise your chances in the second round, you should change your preferences, and put the thing you really want as number 1.

V - absolutely guarantees there will be second round offers (if the applicants meet the ATAR cutoff).

No V - offers can still be made. Most unis make second round offers in most courses exept the most popular ones.

Last year Sydney uni engineering made offers in nearly every engineering or it course, even ones not listed as V.

It is also unlikely that unis apply a higher cut off for second round compared to first for most courses.

Strongly suggest anyone hoping to get second round offers should read the FAQ at http://www.uac.edu.au/undergraduate/faq/offers-selection.shtml

Brightergull

HSC
Always accept your first round offer, even if it is not what you want. You can always drop it later without financial penalty.

You will only get a second round offer if there is a spot available in a preference higher than the one you got in main round (unless you change your preferences). You cannot get a second round offer if you got your first preference in the main round (unless you change your preferences). Hence to maximise your chances in the second round, you should change your preferences, and put the thing you really want as number 1.

V - absolutely guarantees there will be second round offers (if the applicants meet the ATAR cutoff).

No V - offers can still be made. Most unis make second round offers in most courses exept the most popular ones.

Last year Sydney uni engineering made offers in nearly every engineering or it course, even ones not listed as V.

It is also unlikely that unis apply a higher cut off for second round compared to first for most courses.

Strongly suggest anyone hoping to get second round offers should read the FAQ at http://www.uac.edu.au/undergraduate/faq/offers-selection.shtml
Thanks. I really hope you are right that even my third pred offers late round offers. What ill do is just accept my offer for the first pref in the main round and then change my third pref to the first position and cross my fingers :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)