am i in deep shit? (1 Viewer)

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
omg.....someone plz tell me what happens to a person if he gets 40% and 50% for his assesment tasks. Will i have to pray to god to help me come first in the hsc for me to get a UAI over 99?

or can i make it up in the trials??

(In case you were wondering y i got these low marks i am accelerating and had only 4 days or something to study for each assesment task!)

Will this kill my chances of getting into medicine?

i would appreciate it if anyone could comment. :confused:

kini mini

HSC
It depends on the size of the gaps between you and others in your school. It's probably not fatal, but if you do that badly in a task you should stop and figure out what happened before moving on.

As for your med chances - not fatal at all.

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
Originally posted by kini mini
It depends on the size of the gaps between you and others in your school.
the bad thing is that theres only 3 ppl doing chem in the whole year, and me and my friend are accelerating, and our teacher ranked only me and my friend.

Which means i came last :( (out of 2 ppl that is)

btw could you plz tell me when the trials start?

PHEW!!! :eek: thanx, at least i know my life is not ruined so far...

Exeter

Resident Megaphone
HSC
if you 3 chem studnets do real well in the hsc, your moderated assessment mark will be pretty high as well (i think) and u get ur moderated assessment mark in accordance to ur rank

kini mini

HSC
Getting back to the thread title - you are in deep shit, but your head is still in the air...you will need to work very hard from now on at catching up.

The timing of trials is not fixed, each school can set its own unless they want to use the CSSA, Neap or other common ones.

Garick

wait, if your accelerated, that means you can redo your final year as a normal student right?

i mean, when you do accelerated maths, you can choose to retake the yr 12 part of the course. is it the same with chemistry?

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
Originally posted by Garick
wait, if your accelerated, that means you can redo your final year as a normal student right?

i mean, when you do accelerated maths, you can choose to retake the yr 12 part of the course. is it the same with chemistry?
Yeah you can repeat more than one course even if u havent accelerated. The catch is that they only take the more recent mark or something like that. U can repeat courses for a maximum of 5 years. I think..

sillychikki

HSC
yeah dont worry its not the end of the world.... i was an accelerated chem student that repeated and its all good. although i have to say i repeated yr 11 but if you repeat yr 12 itll be ok. my friend did yr 12 up til trials i think then repeated, and she went from failing to coming in the top rankings. Its always an option if you need it, but with the warning that research shows that not everyone does better the second time round... they think they already know all the work.

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
Originally posted by sillychikki
yeah dont worry its not the end of the world.... i was an accelerated chem student that repeated and its all good. although i have to say i repeated yr 11 but if you repeat yr 12 itll be ok. my friend did yr 12 up til trials i think then repeated, and she went from failing to coming in the top rankings. Its always an option if you need it, but with the warning that research shows that not everyone does better the second time round... they think they already know all the work.
Yeah i agree with you on that, but i'm only accelerating in chemistry, other than that i'm only in yr 11.

btw do u think these subjects will help scale me up more??

4 unit maths
biology
physics
3 (mayb 4unit) english?

i'm doing them now

HSC
hahaha. to enter medicine would be 10 times easier if u are living in the country side. lols... cos u only need to have 90 uai and there will be position for only country's students lols.... how lucky they are . ahahah

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Yeah but we don't have the resources here... our local library essentually has no books on science beyond primary school level... we don't have access to things like HSC study days etc as readily... we have to travel 7 hours to Sydney just to see a production of King Lear for english...

And I live in a town (Albury isn't even THAT small).... imagine how much worse off the kids in more isolated areas are.....

And there is a shortage of rural doctors, hence the entrance schemes. I mean here I think there is only a couple of obstetricians for Albury/Wodonga... combined population is about 100 000, not including all the people that live in small country towns around here.... they need to attract more people to rural medicine, otherwise rural areas are going to die essentually....

Plus, it still doesn't make it "easy" to do medicine, even if they recieve the place with a lower UAI... rural students have to relocate to the city, and it's a big lifestyle change. It also costs an absolute fortune.... people in Sydney really do have it better off for the HSC/uni...

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
Originally posted by braindrainedAsh
Yeah but we don't have the resources here... our local library essentually has no books on science beyond primary school level... we don't have access to things like HSC study days etc as readily... we have to travel 7 hours to Sydney just to see a production of King Lear for english...

Youve got the net dont u??

N

ND

Originally posted by unwanted_lover
hahaha. to enter medicine would be 10 times easier if u are living in the country side. lols... cos u only need to have 90 uai and there will be position for only country's students lols.... how lucky they are . ahahah
Who wants to enter through the rural entry scheme anyway? I think you have to work in a rural practice for x yrs, yuck... I'm a rural student, but if i don't get into med at UNSW the 'normal' way, then no med for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)