AMD XP 2500+ wif stock fan&heatsink O/C'able? (1 Viewer)

MrMiK

hey y'all. im gona upgrade my pc on a TIGHT bdget.. so i was gona grab an athlon xp 2500+ and maybe overclock it..
but i get the impression you dont need a new heatsink and fan combo to do mind overclocking... is this true?

OR do u rekon i should grab a new heatsink and fan?
i can get this:
Zalman 6000Cu
which suits a 2700+ in silent.. and any AMD Athlon in 'normal' mode.. so i tink it'll b sufficient..

but i wont get it if i dont NEED to.
any opinions?

Winston

HSC
you can OC a 2500 to 3200 with a stock fan

two of my friends have, and stable

also depends on ur ram and ur mobo

they're using kingsmax ram and nforce 2 mobo

MrMiK

hmmm.. so not worth spending the money on the extra fan?
its about $42
.. i guess ill wait and see how it pans out ayy

thanks mate

-X-

HSC
N/A
If your going to be overclocking heavily then u should, otherwise stick with the stock, thats what i did. How much overclocking depends on the CPU's batch no. week etc... which u can find on the sticker stuck on the CPU. Im not sure which are the better overclockers now, u might want to check out some h/ware forums and asking them.

MrMiK

k ta.
i might leave it with the stock HSF set up.
I guess if i have any problems i can always go get a new heatsink and fan later i guess..
thanks.

but just for reference... how much is "overclocking heavily" i mean. i kno it depends on the chip but apparently a 2500+ can stretch to a 3200+ with little problem.. so is heavy o/c'ing when it gets over 2.2ghz? and if so.. have you heard of anyone geting it to .. say .. 2.5ghz?
yeh i kno it all depends on the date and manufacturing plant etc etc.. im just lookn for general info... assuming i get a good chip

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)