And what if you basolutely screw up ur HSC? (1 Viewer)

c0jo

HSC
hi!

just wondering, what if you absolutely screw up ur HSC and get a shit UAI - for whatever reasons - laziness being the main one -

Are you able to repeat yr 12 (not at school)? Like, is it still possible to do your HSC again at TAFE or something alike? Somebody told me that if you repeat at TAFE, your marks are scaled down because you have been advantaged by knowing the course material already? i wouldnt want to repeat at school because of sheer embarassment!

Cya!

santaslayer

HSC
You can do the HSC again through TAFE or another high school. TAFE is the more financially viable option IMO. Scaling of marks aren't an issue I don't think.

Danoz The Great

HSC
There's plenty of other pathways to take - it's stupid and pointless repeating year 12.

You could gain entry to uni by the STAT test. If you aren't going to uni, you could get a TAFE course in retail/hospo or something like that.

I've heard plenty of success stories where kids have left at year 10, worked their way from the bottom, to become successful accountants, lawyers (by going to uni later), etc.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
c0jo said:
hi!

just wondering, what if you absolutely screw up ur HSC and get a shit UAI - for whatever reasons - laziness being the main one -

Are you able to repeat yr 12 (not at school)? Like, is it still possible to do your HSC again at TAFE or something alike? Somebody told me that if you repeat at TAFE, your marks are scaled down because you have been advantaged by knowing the course material already? i wouldnt want to repeat at school because of sheer embarassment!

Cya!
Hi!
Yes you are able to do year 12 courses at TAFE, and you do not get scaled down by either attending TAFE or repeating. There are also heaps of other options besides repeating. If you want further info just click the first two links in my sig.:)

c0jo

HSC
santaslayer said:
You can do the HSC again through TAFE or another high school. TAFE is the more financially viable option IMO. Scaling of marks aren't an issue I don't think.

thanx guys. btw santaslayer, where are you doing comm.law? i really wanted to do that, but i dont think im going to get the UAI and therefore want to repeat. I was hoping for syd or UNSW, but thsoe UAI's are way outta my leauge.. for this year anyway

cya

Last edited:

santaslayer

HSC
c0jo said:
btw santaslayer, where are you doing comm.law? i really wanted to do that, but i dont think im going to get the UAI and therefore want to repeat. I was hoping for syd or UNSW, but thsoe UAI's are way outta my leauge.. for this year anyway
UoW (University of Wollongong). :)

Transferring is an option if you don't get law first go. So is graduate study.

Year 11 does not need to be repeated. I think selections are based on the number of people who intend to enrol in the particular subjects. I'm not too sure though.

c0jo

HSC
cooL!

BTW, is there anyone out there that has repeated yr 12, in TAFE? Please tell me what it was like. Was your second UAI alot better than your first, or did you become complacent again?

HSC
santaslayer said:
You can do the HSC again through TAFE or another high school. TAFE is the more financially viable option IMO.
You sure its more financially viable? enrolling at TAFE (if not on a govt benefit) will cost you over $300 per year to do the HSC.

Another factor with doing the HSC at TAFE is that most TAFE colleges don't have the same amount of subjects available as an average high school, so don't expect to do things that are very resorce reliant.

TAFE has its benefits though, a different environment to learn in.

Heres a general statement to lots of people who have a misconception with doing the HSC at TAFE. The HSC through TAFE is exactly the same as at any high school. Students have to meet the exact same NSW Board of Studies requirements in each subject. Each student will do the exact same final exams as everyone else in the State. TAFE Students will be scaled exactly the same by UAC when determining their UAI.

A lot of people either think that doing the HSC at TAFE is 'easier' or 'harder'. It is the same.

HSC
c0jo said:
cooL!

BTW, is there anyone out there that has repeated yr 12, in TAFE? Please tell me what it was like. Was your second UAI alot better than your first, or did you become complacent again?
Well I didn't do my HSC through TAFE but I did my Year 10 at TAFE so I can comment on the way things run.

TAFE is good in that the classes are much smaller. Instead of having an HSC class of 120 students (like at school), your HSC class will probably be around 30 students. The ranges of age at TAFE would be much different to school. Your HSC class could have students aged anywhere from 15+, however most 15 year olds have not got their Year 10 or Prelim HSC and therefore won't be allowed to do it. You can expect however that there will be students aged between 16 and 35 perhaps, maybe even older.

The rules at TAFE are a lot different. They don't have truency cards for example, what they do is warn you about your attendance and if you keep missing classes for no reason they'll N-Award you a lot quicker than a school would.

You will be treated as an adult at TAFE, you will call your teachers by their first names, the language they use will be a lot different from what a school teacher will use and the way you speak to them will be a lot different, such as you will probably talk to them more like a friend or work collegue than a school teacher once you get to know them.

There's no uniform at TAFE (duh) so you won't be expected to wear one.

If you're still under 18 at the time you enroll, you can apply for a Bus / Train pass like any other school student for free travel.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
I did year 10(CGVE) and am currently completing HSC for the first time at TAFE(3 of them to be exact). MasterofDisgyis gives a fairly accurate idea of what its like there, however there are just a couple of things I'd like to point out:
MasterofDisyis said:
You sure its more financially viable? enrolling at TAFE (if not on a govt benefit) will cost you over $300 per year to do the HSC.
It is in many cases more viable because unless you do less than 6 units a year, you would have a sufficient study load to recieve govt benefit and therefore exemption from the fees and if you were working full time then your hours would likely not be flexible enough for school making TAFE a slightly better option in that sense.
MasterofDisgyis said:
Another factor with doing the HSC at TAFE is that most TAFE colleges don't have the same amount of subjects available as an average high school, so don't expect to do things that are very resource reliant.
While alot of the TAFEs may have only say 7 subjects, most of them actually have an alright amount of subjects when compared to alot of the non selective or non private schools - in addition to that, unlike schools TAFE lets you "campus hop" as much as you want by co-enrolling in whatever amount of units you want in any other other TAFE in the state so really you could just arrange your timetable between any of the multiple campuses around you if they have the subject you are interested in or if your home campus has two subjects you want on the same line. And you don't need to pay for extra enrollment fees either. The only other institutions I know of with that degree of leniency are Open High School and Saturday School.

Last edited:

c0jo

HSC
Kami - which HSC program at TAFE are you undertaking? The full 2 years of Prelim and HSC, or the Prelim and HSC squeezed into 9 months?

danieljarvis

HSC
kami - i wish i knew you could enrol at more than one TAFE. i have been at hornsby this year doing 3 subjects, repeating from last year, and i wanted to do a 4th ( pdhpe ) but hornsby didnt have it.. i would have enrolled at meadowbank aswell if i knew i could!!!

as for TAFE, it is a good place to do your HSC, its all the same as school, but your right it is an open learning environment. they dont make you come to class, or do any work outside of classes. which is why you have to be able to APPLY yourself strongly to do as well as possible, so many people at my TAFE turn up to maybe one class a week, which is almost pointless.
TAFE classes are longer than school classes, a biology lesson will go for 3 hours at TAFE, and you will have 2 a week, and english n maths lessons vary from 2-3 hour classes, although its always up to you for how long you want to stay there for.

the teachers you call by their first name, it is a totally different atmosphere than school, some of my teachers gave me their phone number incase i needed any information throughout the year at any time. and they have stressed to make sure that you call them if you need help this time of year. they do want you to get the best marks possible,

at TAFE they have to teach you the preliminary course and HSC course in 9 months. which makes it hard for some of the larger courses.. biology we finished our syllabus 15 minutes after our last lesson time finished.(2 weeks ago :|!!) but in english we did not go through the prelimanary course at all. in maths they worked the prelim course into the HSC course. there were two text books, prelim and hsc so we worked one sylabus topic in our prelim book, and then continued onto the HSC book. was fine.

i think its a good option if you feel you can do better and if you can apply yourself for another year.. im surprised i managed to, but ive come in the top 1% of the state in maths and english with my internal mark ( they tell you at TAFE wat they send to BOS) and raised my biology mark by 30 from last year. althoguh last year i didnt go to many classes!

c0jo

HSC
danieljarvis said:
kami - i wish i knew you could enrol at more than one TAFE. i have been at hornsby this year doing 3 subjects, repeating from last year, and i wanted to do a 4th ( pdhpe ) but hornsby didnt have it.. i would have enrolled at meadowbank aswell if i knew i could!!!

as for TAFE, it is a good place to do your HSC, its all the same as school, but your right it is an open learning environment. they dont make you come to class, or do any work outside of classes. which is why you have to be able to APPLY yourself strongly to do as well as possible, so many people at my TAFE turn up to maybe one class a week, which is almost pointless.
TAFE classes are longer than school classes, a biology lesson will go for 3 hours at TAFE, and you will have 2 a week, and english n maths lessons vary from 2-3 hour classes, although its always up to you for how long you want to stay there for.

the teachers you call by their first name, it is a totally different atmosphere than school, some of my teachers gave me their phone number incase i needed any information throughout the year at any time. and they have stressed to make sure that you call them if you need help this time of year. they do want you to get the best marks possible,

at TAFE they have to teach you the preliminary course and HSC course in 9 months. which makes it hard for some of the larger courses.. biology we finished our syllabus 15 minutes after our last lesson time finished.(2 weeks ago :|!!) but in english we did not go through the prelimanary course at all. in maths they worked the prelim course into the HSC course. there were two text books, prelim and hsc so we worked one sylabus topic in our prelim book, and then continued onto the HSC book. was fine.

i think its a good option if you feel you can do better and if you can apply yourself for another year.. im surprised i managed to, but ive come in the top 1% of the state in maths and english with my internal mark ( they tell you at TAFE wat they send to BOS) and raised my biology mark by 30 from last year. althoguh last year i didnt go to many classes!
thanx alot daniel. i have a question -

so you have to do prelim + hsc in the 9 months - but is it necessary to PASS the prelim course? Or can u bugger the prelim stuff (for someone who is repeating the HSC and has already done prelim), and spend ur time studying for the HSC the whole year instead?

p.s. i think you have disabled messaging - could i get ur email perhaps?

~cya

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
c0jo said:
Kami - which HSC program at TAFE are you undertaking? The full 2 years of Prelim and HSC, or the Prelim and HSC squeezed into 9 months?
I did my year 10, then I did a year of combined prelim+HSC in Biology, English Advanced and Mathematic+Extension 1 and prelim Physics, this year I did combined Chemistry, English Extension 1+2, Mathematics Extension 1+2 and Physics combined(as they didn't have the just HSC bit), I later dropped physics though.

c0jo said:
so you have to do prelim + hsc in the 9 months - but is it necessary to PASS the prelim course? Or can u bugger the prelim stuff (for someone who is repeating the HSC and has already done prelim), and spend ur time studying for the HSC the whole year instead?
You have to have a pass in the prelim courses of the HSC subjects you enroll in, it doesn't matter if you get that pass from the TAFE or a school though. I would think though, that if you are incapable of passing the prelim when you have already done so then there may be a problem.

Last edited:

c0jo

HSC
thanx again kami.

so wait - since i have already passed the prelim course, then if i choose to do TAFE next year, i will only have to do the HSC in the 9 months (opposed to prelim AND HSC in 9 months)?

~cya

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
c0jo said:
thanx again kami.

so wait - since i have already passed the prelim course, then if i choose to do TAFE next year, i will only have to do the HSC in the 9 months (opposed to prelim AND HSC in 9 months)?

~cya
You have the option of doing either the HSC course or the combined course, however many TAFEs only offer combined courses so while your performance in the preliminary component in that case is not vital, that'd still be what that class is doing.

danieljarvis

HSC
kami - as far as not doing the year 11 course.. or not doing it very well at least! it is the same as school, but in 2 months or so.. if you get n awarded they can fail you so that you dont go on to the HSC component.. but at TAFE that would just mean not doing any assessments at all. you dont need to turn up to every prelim class, but one in three would not have raised question at my TAFE, and there were a few exams, if you just sat for them you would be fine to study the HSC around them.
of course but, in the HSC exams they can ask you questions from the year 11 syllabus, as it is assumed knowledge. ive had one or two questions this year directly relate to the year 11 sylabbus in HSC exams. so not a massive worry.

im fairly new to this, so i may have done soemthing wrong with those messages?

sperm_rage@hotmail.com

but yes. at my TAFE (hornsby) they only had prelim and HSC courses.

Santah

HSC
c0jo said:
cooL!

Yo.

I'm doing year 12 at tafe this year. The thing about tafe is you have to be motivated, the teachers arent going to pressure you like you were at school. They treat you as an adult student, so you wont "get in trouble" like at school if you dont do assignments or tests... so it becomes very easy to not do them and just get 0. Likewise for keeping up attendance... neally everyone in my year got at least 1 warning letter about attendance.

The learning atmosphere is a lot more relaxed, so I actually enjoyed it a lot more than school, but socially tafe sucks... you dont make close friendships like at school. Also consider the fact that some of the courses (such as english, math, modern history, ancient history) are accelerated. This means you will be doing both year 11 and year 12 work in the space of 3 terms, so the courses are very rushed.

I dont know what area you are in, but if you can then apply for Randwick TAFE. They have a "school" setup called City East, its still at tafe and run by tafe but basically it has younger students (16-21 i think). Its a lot better than going to a place like Ultimo TAFE and doing year 12 in adult classes.

Anymore questions feel free to ask, and good luck :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)