anti's Guide to Writing Creatively (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Candypants

Happeninchick said:
do we have to include our prescribed and related texts into our creative writing section?
Not unless they ask. But they CAN ask.
What they're really looking for is how your understanding of the journeys in the texts you have studied is reflected when doing your own composition.

But they can, for instance, give you a line from Coleridge to open with or ask you to include Text x from the stimulus booklet. They can do whatever they want. So be prepared!

And what they often do if ask you to refer to the material they give you in the language section. They did that last year.

J

jhakka

Please note that the markers don't like teen angst stories unless they are very well written and different to the usual "Woe, woe is me."

Shifty

Bulldogs 04' Premiers
HSC
Dont laugh to hard, but what do youse think of this...
A terminally ill dude partakes in a charity swimming event... He swims the 200m medlay and for evey different stroke he does, he looks back at how his sickness has slowly been killing him and by the time he hits the 170m mark he gives up from exhaustion, symbolising the sickness has ultimately led to his death.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Is it ok to put a sentence at the end of your creative writing piece explaining to the marker what your story means and what journeys are contained within it if you think its too subtle?

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
You shouldn't have to do that. It indicates that you weren't confident enough with your writing... definitely don't want that ;)

Shifty

Bulldogs 04' Premiers
HSC
what happens if they dont pick it up then........get a bloody 8/15!!

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Shifty said:
what happens if they dont pick it up then........get a bloody 8/15!!

Then you should have made it more obvious :)

An easy way to make it obvious is to put the object in the TITLE of your short story eg. "The House" and then never mention the fact that it's a house again...

welshi

Clearly unemployed again.
HSC
it's probably been said but it needs to be said again, SECTION THREE (non-creative writing) is on your FOCUS AREA ie IMAG, PHYS or INNER JOURNEYS. SHORT ANSWERS and CREATIVE are journeys in general. soooooooo many ppl are unclear about this so PLEASE make sure you remember.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
i'm just brainfucked trying to come up with a story. ahh. i hate creative writing.

Jessisbored

HSC
anti said:
Then you should have made it more obvious :)

An easy way to make it obvious is to put the object in the TITLE of your short story eg. "The House" and then never mention the fact that it's a house again...
hahaha, sorry maybe im just a little stressed but i thought that was funny.

I'm pretty bad at creative writing from my perspective but what I'm doing is integrating what I am good at e.g. my hobby, into the content as a journey and hopefully through my expression, knowledge and creativity somehow a good journey will be proposed!

Another question, is the length specified? I know its quality not quantity, but with small writing, would 3 pages be enough? Essays are usually 5-6 pages but I'm doubting 3 pages will be good enough for 13-15/15

Narelle

HSC
i finally have a decent story idea for the creative response...

...but now i realise it might not even be story

how annoying... actually i sorta knew before but i forgot, somehow i recently got it into my head that it was always a story

i don't want them to ask for a feautre article... i'm imagining something lame like dolly magazine "a teens journey of recovery from anorexia"

story is easier... in a feature article u can't be as emotional, descriptive, symbollic ect.

and if its something like a diary entry, u can modify ur story idea like add "dear diary", dates, change it to first peson ect.

last year they asked for a story, i hope they don't change it.... but then again its the 1st year theyre doing journey so surely they'll be kind and ask for something easy like a story

maybe i dont like feature articles cause i didn't do much practise on them but my stance remains that stories are better

This whole thing sucks i hope they ask for a story... our year are always the ginea pigs, even for SC.. thats my winge

dani86

Help!

I'm pannicking (sp?) now... I still don't get the idea of putting the ideas of journeys into my creative writing.
Like, are you supposed to specifically say it?
How would you know if the marker knows its a journey?
Does it have to be specifically imaginative/physical/inner?
An example would be great.. Although there has been a few already..
I just can't get my head around it!! *frustrated*
Is is meant to show a person going from Point A to Point B?
Help!

Martini

Heeeeeeelllpp!!!

Hey! ok, i took that inanate object idea and combined it with some example i found for a creative writing task... and this is what i came up with. any criticism (good or bad) would be appreciated.. or just tell me what you think.. i only got 6/15 for the trial, but i've put a little more thought into this... so here it goes:

Use ONE of the following as the basis for an engaging written response:

The journey’s difficulty served to make it more worthwhile.
OR
If you close your eyes you can go anywhere.
OR
Your imagination will take you further than your car ever will.

You may write in any form except poetry.

It all began with one swift action. We had been called into battle. Our boat was prepared and I, along with maybe thirty others, endeavoured into this foreign territory. As we approached the cave, such beautiful light shimmered off the bloodshed walls. It was hard to comprehend the pain we were edging on enduring and the images that would remain in our minds forever. We were in. One moment light, the next pitch black. Yet frantic moments of sunshine allowed for glances of my new terrain - pearly white rocks and bubbly foamed waves.
Snap! The boat broke and we had been separated! Every being for themselves as the team went into panic mode and attacked in whatever way possible. We fought not only against the opponent, but the environment too. Wave after wave rammed us beside the jagged rocks, and that alone was the death of some, crushed to smithereens. Crackling sounds thundered in my head and the rupture of the cave gave way with the tsunami, carrying me to my next chamber. In that mysterious descent, I found myself in an overpowering torture room, sizzling hot acid all around with no escape. The acidic concoction rose higher and higher, until my little white puffed rice body could not endure any longer. My crusty skin popped and blistered until I had disintegrated. I met my death, and my ultimate destiny.
My quite life in a box with eight thousand other rice bubbles was satisfying, but the voyage and challenging test to the end was valuable. Not only did I provide essential nutrients such as thiamin, riboflavin and niacin, I fought till the death and discovered who I really am.

ok, so for anyone that didnt understand me (or if i didnt write it properly) it was meant to be the adventure of a rice bubble into the mouth of someone and down to their stomach where the acid kills him. oh and i was using the first statement about journeys.

Last edited:

Narelle

HSC
wow that was good Martini.. yeah in the exam it'll have to be a bit longer ect.

eh i don't think i'll be writing as an inanate object but it was good

i would of kept that to myself but watever

.... oh and again, that is if they let u write a story... it could always be another text type

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Do we HAVE to have a title for our creative writing piece?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)