Any Info on School Leaving age? (1 Viewer)

GL1001

HSC
Yesterday, a teacher was discussing that the nsw government has recently changed the leaving age to 17 instead of the usual 16/after year 10.

He said that unless you had a full time job (more than 33hrs a week) or attending a trade/tafe course, you legally have to stay until you are 17.

I plan on staying until year 17, however i am interested...thanks, GL1001

saberbladexx

HSC
Whats the point of staying till 17 then leaving?, dropping out at year 11 is pointless.

GL1001

HSC
Whats the point of staying till 17 then leaving?, dropping out at year 11 is pointless.
my thoughts exactly, raising the leaving age is such a stupid decision.

yet apparently the nsw government are trialling it this year...has anyone heard about this?

jet

Banned
HSC
Yep, I'm pretty sure it comes into effect 1st January next year.

Jusskah

HSC
Uh, what's stupid about it? If you've got yourself a job or are undertaking some sort of course, you can leave school, as opposed to someone dropping out of year ten and then doing jack shit.

Thecorey0

HSC
It's a very hot topic at my school since half of the year usually drops out after year 10. So far the principal has said that it has not been legislated/formalised yet, and the schools are still scratching their heads. However he has been told that if they sit the first school certificate exam, they have to stay at school until they are 17. Because of this many of the current year 10's at my school will drop out before the school certificate.

GL1001

HSC
Uh, what's stupid about it? If you've got yourself a job or are undertaking some sort of course, you can leave school, as opposed to someone dropping out of year ten and then doing jack shit.
Very good point, however i dont know what its like at your school, but at mine..we usually have one, maybe two serious classes out of 5 or 6 in the year. The rest of the classes will not have a single student pass and will generally just come to school to socialize/disrupt others.

It's a very hot topic at my school since half of the year usually drops out after year 10. So far the principal has said that it has not been legislated/formalised yet, and the schools are still scratching their heads. However he has been told that if they sit the first school certificate exam, they have to stay at school until they are 17. Because of this many of the current year 10's at my school will drop out before the school certificate.
Same here, the idea is that in the past, most of the drop-outs will go straight from school to government funded payments such as the dole. This new leaving age should see the students who do want to leave find employment, however isnt it obvious these people are just going to continue wasting time for an extra year?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)