Any of you take ADHD drugs? (1 Viewer)

Interdice

HSC
90 percent sure I have ADHD. Writing is on the wall honestly. Parents never got me tested because there's a stigma. Also they don't believe meds work

Do the drugs acutally work. One of my ADHD friends said teh drugs worked, but he didn't like it. the other said drugs didn't work at all. But that second guy is the dumbest human being I ever met.

HazzRat

H̊ͯaͤz͠z̬̼iẻͩ̊͏̖͈̪
HSC
90 percent sure I have ADHD. Writing is on the wall honestly. Parents never got me tested because there's a stigma. Also they don't believe meds work

Do the drugs acutally work. One of my ADHD friends said teh drugs worked, but he didn't like it. the other said drugs didn't work at all. But that second guy is the dumbest human being I ever met.
English class gives me adhd :sleep:

Interdice

HSC
English class gives me adhd :sleep:
It's kinda usefull though. Hate to say it, but bullshiting about emotions and how humans feel is useful for a job interview. Because I don't feel those emotions, I only care about my paycheck. Idgf about providing a good customer service

triangular

HSC
adhd medication is very different for each person, and seeking medical advice and consultation with your provider is integral. obviously everyone has a different capacity and sensitivity for specific chemicals and the hormones they induce and often times people experience negative effects because their dosage isnt right. they depend on various biological factors and other conditions that affect your hormones and chemical balance.
This is why trial periods exist, so you can figure out what dosage and brand/type is most suitable for your body. For reference, I am VERY sensitive to meds lol. Just to clarify for anyone reading this, meds do not magically help you become super productive or less distracted. They give you the choice to pay attention, and it is up to you to make the right decision.
Also given that you've just graduated you will probably have to speak to a psychiatrist, not a pediatrician. Unfortunately, psych waitlists are INSANE because our mental health support system is in tatters. Maybe start w ur GP though first (a trusted one you have been going to for a while who respects you and understands you and doesn't sell you out to your parents if possible) as they may be able to find you somebody quicker. I'm presuming you're 18 or will be soon so idt your parents will need to be involved in terms of medication as you are legally an adult.

Also anyone considering doing psychiatry please do it!!! Our mental health system is as hyperstressed and under pressure as dutton's hair!!!!!!

Interdice

HSC
adhd medication is very different for each person, and seeking medical advice and consultation with your provider is integral. obviously everyone has a different capacity and sensitivity for specific chemicals and the hormones they induce and often times people experience negative effects because their dosage isnt right. they depend on various biological factors and other conditions that affect your hormones and chemical balance.
This is why trial periods exist, so you can figure out what dosage and brand/type is most suitable for your body. For reference, I am VERY sensitive to meds lol. Just to clarify for anyone reading this, meds do not magically help you become super productive or less distracted. They give you the choice to pay attention, and it is up to you to make the right decision.
Also given that you've just graduated you will probably have to speak to a psychiatrist, not a pediatrician. Unfortunately, psych waitlists are INSANE because our mental health support system is in tatters. Maybe start w ur GP though first (a trusted one you have been going to for a while who respects you and understands you and doesn't sell you out to your parents if possible) as they may be able to find you somebody quicker. I'm presuming you're 18 or will be soon so idt your parents will need to be involved in terms of medication as you are legally an adult.

Also anyone considering doing psychiatry please do it!!! Our mental health system is as hyperstressed and under pressure as dutton's hair!!!!!!
My parents are okay with it now. Now that I'm 18, I'm free to do wahtever I want. Yup. Already spoke to GP. Aparently there was a 2 month waiting.
period and $500.
They give you the choice to pay attention, and it is up to you to make the right decision.
I hear this a lot. What do you mean you get a choice? I mean I want high grades. And I would rather get high grades than doing many things.

Did you feel as though your grades improved?

triangular

HSC
For example: I felt that I could never physically tune in to what the teacher was saying. yk how there's an energy barrier that reactants have to reach before the reaction can proceed in chem? It was like that before meds -- it felt like there was a wall I kept on banging my head against. On meds I realised that not only could I physically listen to and process the words I was hearing into coherent thoughts and actions, this process was like a door. I could choose to open and close the door at will -- I could pay attention, or not! This is what I mean by choice
I am on trial meds right now and am able to figure out what study strategies work best for me only now, so I don't think I would be the right person to ask -- there is hardly ever any consistency in being neurodivergent LMAO

Last edited:

Interdice

HSC
For example: I felt that I could physically tune in to what the teacher was saying. yk how there's an energy barrier that reactants have to reach before the reaction can proceed in chem? It was like that before meds -- it felt like there was a wall I kept on banging my head against. On meds I realised that not only could I physically listen to and process the words I was hearing into coherent thoughts and actions, this process was like a door. I could choose to open and close the door at will -- I could pay attention, or not! This is what I mean by choice
Sounds very vague. But I might be able to relate to it. I never learnt based on what my teachers were saying. I just read the textbook later, and did tests soley of the textbook. I mean even with the textbook I could never get a thorough understanding. high band 4, low band 5 best. I'll get tested thank you.

triangular

HSC
adhd manifests in people very differently and in a myriad of combinations, the spectrum exists for a reason. Even then, you may find that you may not have adhd at all, but a different condition with a similar set of symptoms -- you never know! :caffeine: all the best on your journey

Rattlehead15

HSC
I was on medication for something that wasn't adhd but I think this is still relevant: do your own research as well before you take any drug. Some doctors won't tell you all of the potential side effects and others just don't know all of them. I'm not saying dont take the medication because someone online said they had a bad experience, Im just saying read up on all of the potential side effects so you dont get caught of guard, especially since they will effect your brain.

year10studentpreparin

HSC
If you’ve been fine without ADHD medication for the past 17 years of your life, you seriously don’t need to get diagnosed for ADHD and medication now. It doesn’t magically transform you into a straight A student as well lol.
MFS seriously be taking adhd meds when they turn 18 while my friend whos taken the meds all my life bc he has adhd and used to be very spastic just started getting off the meds just after his last HSC ended last week lmao and hes perfectly fine now

Dude you dont need those drugs interdice.
Ill update you on how my adhd friend does without the drugs tho because he hasnt tried sitting down and just focusing and studying a thing but he told me he will just try to now he is off his meds and he will see if he can concentrate relatively the same etc but even then he seems a lot less restless without them and more focused in convos

HSC

Yes! I am on Concerta (36mg). It's not a magical cure obviously,I meanI still procrastinate. Butgoddamn. Is my mind so clear. Oh my goodness.

Interdice

HSC
Yes! I am on Concerta (36mg). It's not a magical cure obviously,I meanI still procrastinate. Butgoddamn. Is my mind so clear. Oh my goodness.
When did you get the drugs if you don't mind me asking? If you got it during year 11, do you find doing past papers is easier?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)