Any one applied for the B.IT Course? (1 Viewer)

ztrask02

Professional Expert
HSC
EL,

I thought the dates were the 17th and 18th of November?
Do you think that it might be 17th, 18th and 5th? Or is it just 18th and 5th?
Our formal is on the 16th, so the 17th would be a bit awkward.

Its so hard to tell with the UAI, I'm thinking I'll land one between 70 and 95, and thats as specific as I'm willing to venture.

JimmyK

Narrabeen, Sydney/Maitland, Hunter Valley
HSC
My formal is on the 16th too, maybe we should email uts?? - Ebony, who were you contacted by?? - Des Saunders, or someone else?
I think I'm the same UAI thing, being out of the 90+ range they usually look for, but its always worth a shot!

ztrask02

Professional Expert
HSC
Mate I'd wait and see what day they schedule your interview for.
You might luck in and get the 18th. Anyway, I'm prepared to be sensible and get a good night's sleep after the formal if it stands me in better stead for the interview.
Now to a more pressing matter - what colour suit do you think makes the better impression?

m1nx

HSC
Hi everyone,

I am currently a 1st year B. IT student also and firstly I'd like to say congratulations on the interview ebonylea :)

To clarify things for you guys a little (and perhaps ease the waiting game also, I'm sure!) the interview dates for the scholarship this year are Friday 18th November and Monday 5th December. Good luck to everyone who applied!

As for ztrask02 and JimmyK, I'd like to say that first of all I was also in that predicament last year - the formal was the night before the interviews, and the afterparty didn't quite end until 6 in the morning. Needless to say, I had absolutely no sleep whatsoever - just took a little while to make it look like I hadn't just spent the entire night out partying (suffice to say, I take my teenage years quite seriously ;)), jumped in a cab to the interview, grabbed a coffee downstairs and expended entirely too much effort trying to look interested in what Chris S was saying pre-inerview (now of course, I know better:rolleyes::D). Fast forward to post-interview, I thought I hadn't done as well as I'd liked given my after-afterparty state, confessed to it and apologized, then somehow managed to talk my way to something silly about the ninja turtles and the karate kid to the CEO of company X(!!).

Anyways, veering from the point - to make a long story short, they still somehow let me in :D I met the very same CEO at the meet&greet sponsor night, approached him to thank him profusely for his (mis)judgment - but not before a hearty "You're the formal girl! Bloody brilliant, congratulations!"

That's not to say that I condone drinking copious amounts prior to scholarship interviews. Nor that by doing so, you will be more likely to get it. :p However, what I do say is that I know for a fact that a couple of the other BITs selected this year were also put in that position, and did not see that as inhibiting to their being picked.

Interviews are all about your personality and character, whilst at the same time expanding on your application and demonstrating your leadership and people-person capacity essential to being a B.IT.

Also, keep in mind that although 90+ UAI is said to be criteria, it is a combination of these across the board (application, interiew AND uai) that will determine your entry into the course. I cannot stress this enough! I know plenty of BScITs who were rather bitter about BITs during the IT camp as they'd received higher UAIs than some other BITs, which goes to show that that isn't ALL that they are looking for. If they see potential in you as a BIT and you fall slightly below the cutoff line, you are still very much in with a chance.

All in all, best of luck to everyone - I hope to meet you at the interviews ;)

JimmyK

HSC
Lol, I like that story m1nx, its great!
If I don't receive my letter today, I'll send Des an email. Maybe if we don't receive a letter today or tomorrow we haven't been selected, who knows!
If my interview is on the 18th, its probally a good thing that I don't drink, and that I'm the MC for the evening because it I won't have to worry about running round hoping to get back in time, I'll be able 2 tell everyone when to wrap things up and go out to the local clubs/pubs.
I'm not going to throw on a whole suit, but I do have some nice, semi-formal ware that I'll be dressing up in for the interview, somthing to show I'm professional, but still young and free in what I do. I'm sure you'll look great ebonylea, just wear your best pair of converse and jeans - I'm sure they'll do the job just fine!
Good luck once again to all.

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
hey,

you guys should get your letters tomorrow or monday.

i just called him and asked - you can too if you want.

my interviews on the 18th thank god.

this is the number to call: 9514 1804

good luck boys.

ztrask02

Professional Expert
HSC
Haha M1nx you obviously exhibited the 'correct' uni attitude!
I think that those sorts of things are good, because they show off your individuality... as long as you don't go too far, and do something like show up beer in hand, not having been home at all...

Could anyone in 1st year BIT venture some of the questions they asked? Not because I like to prepare questions (I swear!) but I'm just a bit worried about the business side of operations (excuse the double pun)

I'm not going to hassle Des, I think I'll sit next to my letterbox in a deck chair instead.

JimmyK

HSC
thanks heaps haboozin, did he say we could give him a call? I don't want to go giving Des a call without him saying so, he seems like a busy person.
*crosses fingers and waits for the letter to hopefully arrive*

mercho

B. Of Leisure & Pleasure
HSC
I gave him a call and he was really nice and apologetic for the delay. He said the letters should arrive soon. On another note i got an interview :) really stoked, will see some of you guys there :)

ztrask02

Professional Expert
HSC
If I don't get an interview;

I'm going to get all of your IP addresses and h4x0r your asses.

Only first, I'll have to figure out what that means.

ztrask02

Professional Expert
HSC
Well after waiting all this time, I snapped.
And called Des. I've got an interview next Friday. Sweet.
I bet my letter will come in about five minutes, but I don't care, I couldn't be bothered waiting for it.

Someone should wear a white suit to their interview.

swherdman

I to have a formal on the 17th (there seem to be a few on that night) Fate conspiring against me again

DJGerber

3rd Year BIT @ UTS
HSC
ztrask02 said:
Could anyone in 1st year BIT venture some of the questions they asked? Not because I like to prepare questions (I swear!) but I'm just a bit worried about the business side of operations (excuse the double pun)
I highly recommend this resource to... not prepare for, but just get in the right frame of mind for the interview: http://www.ssu.uts.edu.au/careers/fstudents/interviewtesting/awkward.html

I got asked all of those questions! They also often ask questions related to the application you filled in, so they may ask you to expand on a certain point. And don't be afraid to ask the interviewers questions at the end, you may as well get the most out of it while you're there with someone from the Industry, and demonstrate some social networking skills at the same time!

Last edited:

mjhilton

HSC
Aaaah awesome I got the email today!
Woohoo the interviews are incredibly soon! UTS do like to keep things tight eh!
Does anyone have any clue how many people applied this year?

JimmyK

HSC
DigitalFortress, might be an idea to ring them? Did you get a little postcard thing saying they recieved your application?

Maybe all of us Bored members should meet or somthing - anyone got ideas for a secret handshake ;) - jks.

ztrask02

Professional Expert
HSC
I say a secret ass slap. That way, you'll know for sure. As long as you're actually in the UTS building, otherwise run.

jadie_m

HSC
Yay

omgomgomg! Yay I got an interview... I havent been able to check my email for the past few days cause my net is screwed... great timing! But I got a friend to check for me and I have an interview for this friday! :)

JimmyK

HSC
playboy2njoy said:
But I wasn't picked because of my shit business studies trial result. Damn.
Is that the reason they gave you as to why you weren't picked? Man, that sucks, I don't even do business studies!
Anyway, I hope you applied for the BScIT course, because by the sounds of it you'd be great for that. DigitalFortress, likewise for you as well. Maybe we'll all end up in BScIT anyway, depending on how we go at the interviews and UAI's.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)