Any tips for preparing for Year 11? (1 Viewer)

Disfigurate

HSC
Hey guys! I just wanted to get some advice from any Year 12 students or past HSC students. So I'm starting Year 11 this year and school is coming up in just over 3 weeks. I wanted to know how I could possibly prepare for this year. I'm eager to do well and work hard but I just don't know where to begin.

This year, I'm doing:
Advanced English
Mathematics (2 Unit)
Economics
Biology
Modern History
Studies of Religion (1 Unit)

For the other 1 unit, I'm doing a Board Endorsed Course but it doesn't really matter since I'm dropping it next year. I'm planning to do Extension History for Year 12 because I really like History. So if you have any advice like how I should prepare, what textbooks I should buy/use, how many hours I should study for etc, that would be great! :) Thanks guys!

BiasedBuffalo

HSC
For Economics, most schools use Dixon but getting the Riley is seriously worthwhile, especially if you often have issues bulking up your essays with stats/good explanations. Plus, a 2nd workbook is excellent for last minute revision.

For English, if you already know the texts, the best thing you could probably do would be to read them now.

Apart from that, have a good holiday! Probably one of the last decent holidays you'll get.

Disfigurate

HSC
For Economics, most schools use Dixon but getting the Riley is seriously worthwhile, especially if you often have issues bulking up your essays with stats/good explanations. Plus, a 2nd workbook is excellent for last minute revision.

For English, if you already know the texts, the best thing you could probably do would be to read them now.

Apart from that, have a good holiday! Probably one of the last decent holidays you'll get.
Okay, thank you :) ! And yeah, unfortunately this is probably the last decent holiday I have. But anyway, you have a good holiday too!

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
One extra piece of advice-remember to not stress yourself out too much, just make sure you have a pleasant study environment-ideally your room should be organised and clean right now. Make sure you keep up to date with notes and work and find a way of organising your time to minimise your procrastination and maximise your concentration. Relax this holiday-and just be prepared to work hard-studying too hard this holidays will not necessarily benefit you when the school term starts if you burnt out. Happy holidays:)

Spiritual Bean

The only
HSC
This holiday was the best for me. I had so much fun.

Live it up, because it's your only real holiday until the end of year 12, save for the two weeks between preliminary and HSC.

study1234

HSC
Be consistent throughout the entire year. And NEVER give up. You're bound to have disappointing results, but use them as motivation to work even harder.

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
make sure you read the syllabus, that is a good start.

Disfigurate

HSC
One extra piece of advice-remember to not stress yourself out too much, just make sure you have a pleasant study environment-ideally your room should be organised and clean right now. Make sure you keep up to date with notes and work and find a way of organising your time to minimise your procrastination and maximise your concentration. Relax this holiday-and just be prepared to work hard-studying too hard this holidays will not necessarily benefit you when the school term starts if you burnt out. Happy holidays:)
I've seen most of your tips on this forum and they've been absolutely outstanding! I'm actually excited for school but most of my friends in Year 12 said I should spend this holiday wisely as it will be my last decent one. Good thing that I cleaned out my room before 2014 :p I hate starting new years with a messy room. Thanks for your advice! :D

Disfigurate

HSC
make sure you read the syllabus, that is a good start.
Hahah, definitely! I've read the syllabus for all of my subjects a couple of times. I'm definitely prepared for what's coming this year and the next. Thanks for your advice!

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
i also have a very messy room, im trying to organise all my notes but there is literally no room in my room.

Disfigurate

HSC
Be consistent throughout the entire year. And NEVER give up. You're bound to have disappointing results, but use them as motivation to work even harder.
Yeah, I've learnt from my previous years. But I believe that motivation only gets you started whereas habit keeps you going. I'm going to have to make my habit include working hard, consistency and never giving up. Thanks for your advice :)

Disfigurate

HSC
This holiday was the best for me. I had so much fun.

Live it up, because it's your only real holiday until the end of year 12, save for the two weeks between preliminary and HSC.
Going to spend these holidays wisely then! Thanks for your advice!

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
Read your prescribed texts for English early on - that way you get an idea of the plot, context, themes etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)