Any Year 12 '08'ers wishing to go to uni but have no idea what to do there? (1 Viewer)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
If you aren't sure take something general like an Arts degree and then after doing a few subjects (or having more time) you might find what you like...that said people I know have taken years to decide after swaping courses...otherwise take a year off and work, save up some money and then have a think about it...good luck

gavvsy

HSC
i think when your choosing a degree, you should choose the degree that you are good at, rather than want you enjoy the most. i think, because if your good it, you'll soon start to enjoy it.

xJennax

HSC
I know what course I want to do, but I don't know what career/job I want to have. =/

=)lisa

whatdoyoumeanitalksofast?
HSC
xJennax said:
I know what course I want to do, but I don't know what career/job I want to have. =/
yeaah i've been thinkin about courses more since i originally posted, and im really growing to like some. I agree with you in regards to jobs/careers though... i cant see myself in the careers of these uni degrees and hence think i shouldnt do the course to begin with.

I over think things :p

=)lisa

HSC
kokodamonkey said:
what subjects you currently do?
adv eng
gen maths
society and culture
legal studies
modern history
studies of religion 1 unit.

Evilo

HSC
I wrote it before on another thread - Enrol in something simple like a bachelor of arts/bachelor of science - do a range of subjects (that align with your hobbies), and then adjust your major to suit the outcomes of those courses. this way you will at least have a few courses that can be contributed to your final major (in my first year i was only required to do 1 or 2 1st year major-related subjects so i did Psychology and Computer Science for fun). I'd advise against the idea of taking a gap year to 'think about it' for the reason it's just going to be a waste, and at the start of the next year you'll be back to square one.

EDIT: looking at your subjects i'd probably take an arts degree. (but i don't know your stronger subjects)

=)lisa

HSC
Evilo said:
Enrol in something simple like a bachelor of arts/bachelor of science - do a range of subjects (that align with your hobbies), and then adjust your major to suit the outcomes of those courses. this way you will at least have a few courses that can be contributed to your final major
yeah this is another very valid option. however, i am just as neutral about the majors which are offered at my preferred uni.

I still seem to be fairly interested in a media based course. I dont know what career path it would eventually lead me to, and hence may appear to be a waste of time, but i think i would enjoy it (after having spoken to many current and past students). Problem here is people reckon you will end up hating whatver you undertake at uni, curtosey of assessments, exams, etc.

Oh and in regards to my subjects, i dont have a favourite, nor do i excell in any particular one. One of my best would be society and culture, but thats coz i think its a pretty basic course... i dont want to become a sociologist or anything, lol.

Evilo said:
I'd advise against the idea of taking a gap year to 'think about it' for the reason it's just going to be a waste, and at the start of the next year you'll be back to square one.
yep. after much thought, i completely agree. getting my foot in the door at uni in any way is better than nothing, in my situation.

Anywho, thanks again for the reply (and replies).
im still getting my head around it all.

xoxo

Evilo

HSC
=)lisa said:
yeah this is another very valid option. however, i am just as neutral about the majors which are offered at my preferred uni.
unless you're doing something like a combined degree, most majors can be 'decided' upon at the end of first year. Once you've got the area you want to go into - you can usually adjust the major a bit - just has to be a similar topic/area.
=)lisa said:
I still seem to be fairly interested in a media based course. I dont know what career path it would eventually lead me to, and hence may appear to be a waste of time, but i think i would enjoy it
go to the open days etc and see the lecturers and chat them up. They're pretty helpful and they give you a good perspective on the course (just be nice and dont ask a question like 'convince me this is the course i should study').

After going to an open day i was able to cross off a whole possible faculty off my list of courses, for the reason the lecturer was clueless, and it seemed to be a course for middle-aged trophy wives.

=)lisa said:
. Problem here is people reckon you will end up hating whatver you undertake at uni, curtosey of assessments, exams, etc.
I spose its life, you get used to it. If you do something you enjoy, its easier to 'endure' the exams. However in first year - i wouldn't be too worried. If you attend lectures/tutes and do the work - you'll pass the course whether you like the course [or not.]
=)lisa said:
Oh and in regards to my subjects, i dont have a favourite, nor do i excell in any particular one. One of my best would be society and culture, but thats coz i think its a pretty basic course... i dont want to become a sociologist or anything, lol.
I'd go to open days, or chat up a few students for idea. Find someone who is doing sociology and ask them what they're doing - what they're up to etc. Thats when you get a good perspective on the course - much better than a 'course outline' you find on the web.

=)lisa said:
yep. after much thought, i completely agree. getting my foot in the door at uni in any way is better than nothing, in my situation.
yeah, i just think its better to be [half] productive rather than doing nothing at all. I'm against the idea of gap years, for the reason 95% of my "friends" pissed their life away for a year on alcohol.

=)lisa said:
Anywho, thanks again for the reply (and replies).
im still getting my head around it all.

xoxo
NP.

Btw - you should really be going to ALL the uni open days - i know they're coming up. You live on the north shore? Most uni's you can take the train too - so do take advantage of that. Also if you find you've got an interest in a course - even consider coming to ANU on the 30th for Open Day. Keep your options open!

=)lisa

HSC
Evilo said:
unless you're doing something like a combined degree, most majors can be 'decided' upon at the end of first year. Once you've got the area you want to go into - you can usually adjust the major a bit - just has to be a similar topic/area.

go to the open days etc and see the lecturers and chat them up. They're pretty helpful and they give you a good perspective on the course (just be nice and dont ask a question like 'convince me this is the course i should study').

After going to an open day i was able to cross off a whole possible faculty off my list of courses, for the reason the lecturer was clueless, and it seemed to be a course for middle-aged trophy wives.

I spose its life, you get used to it. If you do something you enjoy, its easier to 'endure' the exams. However in first year - i wouldn't be too worried. If you attend lectures/tutes and do the work - you'll pass the course whether you like the course [or not.]

I'd go to open days, or chat up a few students for idea. Find someone who is doing sociology and ask them what they're doing - what they're up to etc. Thats when you get a good perspective on the course - much better than a 'course outline' you find on the web.

yeah, i just think its better to be [half] productive rather than doing nothing at all. I'm against the idea of gap years, for the reason 95% of my "friends" pissed their life away for a year on alcohol.

NP.

Btw - you should really be going to ALL the uni open days - i know they're coming up. You live on the north shore? Most uni's you can take the train too - so do take advantage of that. Also if you find you've got an interest in a course - even consider coming to ANU on the 30th for Open Day. Keep your options open!

ah sweet thanks so much for that :)

will take that advice on board

xox

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)