Anyone doing CSDA Debating? (1 Viewer)

SPX

I'm doing it, wondering if anyone else is in the Catholic Schools Debating Association Debating comp. If you are, for what school?

Jinglebell

HSC
we won last night too...although we were really crap, just marginally less so than the other team.

i think everyone got the demonstrations topic...i was rather glad we got aff., although i HATE not being 3rd neg. speaker because i like having the last say and getting away with saying a load of crap that could be rebutted for hours:)

anyone else struggling with times?

SPX

I didn't go to the debating camp but I have a friend in my school which did.

Jinglebell, I 'm third speaker too and I also hate not being negative. I'm speaking to time, about 10.5 minutes. I too liked the demonstrations topic. What school you go to?

Jinglebell

HSC
hey SPX. i go to st pat's campelltown. you? we were against good samaritan college on friday, and we were all severely undertime. i was planning to rebut for 3-4 minutes, but since the 2nd neg. only spoke for 2:40, i ended up with a 5 minute speech instead of the intended 8:)

and last year all our oponents forfeited except for the first week, so we're really out of practise. it feels like we haven't debated together in forever.

Tenax Propositi

there's just no oxygen
HSC
Hey, I'm in the CSDA comp. Congrats all you guys on your wins!

We won last friday night as well. I'm second speaker and like it because I just get to talk about issues (which I can go on and on about at times!)

....at other times, when we get topics on sports (which, for some reason, is guaranteed AT LEAST ONCE) I only make time because we always have the Olympics to talk about and you can take a very humanitarian, ideological, philosophical angle on it....which helps in making the time lol

Jinglebell

HSC
ok, how did we all go in round two??? and what do we all think of this week's topic, "developers are the public enemy"?

we lost, but meh. and we were negative, which i think was the harder side in this topic.

rhinoivory

me too

Yeh, developer was our topic and we lost....

tried to win the debate by suffocating and simplifying our definition.... didnt work..we were affirmative

SPX

We lost against Loreto. We clearly deserved to win as seriously the other team had no case, they attempted to rebut us for 9 minutes then give us 2 minutes of their own case each. We were affirmative. They had no substance and had ordinary speakers. We spoke well and had a variety of arguments and ripped them apart with their small case and attempts at rebuting.
In the end...WE WERE RORTED!

SPX

Oh, you guys beat us last year. Only because you made the adjudicator laugh with your fat third speaker!

SPX

Nah, I was Senior Red in year 11 and i'm Senior Red again. This time I'm the Captain because they Y12 of last year are obviously gone.

SPX

Your kidding. If you were on the team with that asian guy who was your first speaker and that really expressive guy with the black hair as second speaker then we spoke against you. I didn't really mean the fat thing though. But about your jokes, I don't think you deserved to win for that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)