Anyone done or heard anything about this degree? (1 Viewer)

may22

HSC
I'm looking into Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Advanced Studies (Politics and International Relations) at USYD.

If anyone's done this or has any idea of the study load, if it's a good degree etc...advice much appreciated. Also, no clue what to expect with semesters as I'm currently wired to think of trimesters

Currently in first year med sci at unsw so yeah, might be doing a full 180.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
The Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Advanced Studies (Politics and International Relations) involves completing a program in Politics and International Relations, as well as completing a second major, either from the Bachelor of Arts majors or from a different discipline. USyd's Bachelor of Arts is a highly multifaceted degree, since it offers a large number of majors.

The Bachelor of Arts component covers three years of the program, which includes the Politics and International Relations studies as well as studies from the second major. The Bachelor of Advanced Studies is an additional year (making this a 4-year program) that students can take. As part of the Bachelor of Advanced Studies, students can do one of the following:
  • They can undertake advanced coursework subjects, which serve to further develop their knowledge.
  • They can complete an Honours year (subject to meeting academic criteria, such as a minimum WAM and any additional, discipline-specific requirements).
You can take up to 4 units per semester, as opposed to 2-3 units per trimester in the case of UNSW. This means that the workload will be more significant, but you will also have more time. Taking more units than the maximum allowed would usually require an enrolment exception request. A semester is longer than a trimester, typically being 14 weeks, as opposed to 10 weeks.

I hope this helps! 😄

may22

HSC
The Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Advanced Studies (Politics and International Relations) involves completing a program in Politics and International Relations, as well as completing a second major, either from the Bachelor of Arts majors or from a different discipline. USyd's Bachelor of Arts is a highly multifaceted degree, since it offers a large number of majors.

The Bachelor of Arts component covers three years of the program, which includes the Politics and International Relations studies as well as studies from the second major. The Bachelor of Advanced Studies is an additional year (making this a 4-year program) that students can take. As part of the Bachelor of Advanced Studies, students can do one of the following:
  • They can undertake advanced coursework subjects, which serve to further develop their knowledge.
  • They can complete an Honours year (subject to meeting academic criteria, such as a minimum WAM and any additional, discipline-specific requirements).
You can take up to 4 units per semester, as opposed to 2-3 units per trimester in the case of UNSW. This means that the workload will be more significant, but you will also have more time. Taking more units than the maximum allowed would usually require an enrolment exception request. A semester is longer than a trimester, typically being 14 weeks, as opposed to 10 weeks.

I hope this helps! 😄
Thanks Jimmy!

The trimester study load, whilst annoying is kinda working with my extra stuff outside of uni. Only issue is it's far from where I live so commute is annoying.

USYD is similar commute time as well. Not sure how 4 subjects a term would work with my lifestyle lol. Humanities have always been inherently easier for me than STEM subjects (for which I need to apply extra time and energy to be good at). Do you think that would balance it out? Like, 3 STEM subjects = 4 humanities?

Also 3 subjects means my timetable is down to only 2 days a week on campus (🙌), which again, works with my out-of-uni life. Anywhere I'd be ablr to find a sample timetable for this course maybe?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks Jimmy!

The trimester study load, whilst annoying is kinda working with my extra stuff outside of uni. Only issue is it's far from where I live so commute is annoying.

USYD is similar commute time as well. Not sure how 4 subjects a term would work with my lifestyle lol. Humanities have always been inherently easier for me than STEM subjects (for which I need to apply extra time and energy to be good at). Do you think that would balance it out? Like, 3 STEM subjects = 4 humanities?

Also 3 subjects means my timetable is down to only 2 days a week on campus (🙌), which again, works with my out-of-uni life. Anywhere I'd be ablr to find a sample timetable for this course maybe?
No worries!

That assumption sounds fairly reasonable and applicable to the first three years of the program. The fourth year would be the most difficult and demanding year (understandably so), especially if you choose to complete an Honours year.

I'm not entirely sure about finding a sample timetable for this course. I know that USyd provides detailed sample degree plans, which include the Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Advanced Studies (Politics and International Relations). Perhaps USyd could provide you with a sample timetable for this course if you contact them.

may22

HSC
No worries!

That assumption sounds fairly reasonable and applicable to the first three years of the program. The fourth year would be the most difficult and demanding year (understandably so), especially if you choose to complete an Honours year.

I'm not entirely sure about finding a sample timetable for this course. I know that USyd provides detailed sample degree plans, which include the Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Advanced Studies (Politics and International Relations). Perhaps USyd could provide you with a sample timetable for this course if you contact them.
Will reach out to them. Thanks again! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)