Anyone else's UAI getting dragged down cause of English? (1 Viewer)

ondroo

*Sigh*
HSC
xJennax said:
Why didn't you choose standard if English isn't your strong point? =/
i chose advanced cause there is no chance of getting my uai aim (94+) with standard and the other crap scaling subjects i do (e.g. ipt).... despite standard being just as crap and annoying anyway (we share a paper for god sake!)

haha i did a hemispherical test and according to one test i pretty much dont have a right brain ahahaha (100% of the questions i answered left brain)... no wonder i suck at english :hammer:

Last edited:

charlesdinio

HSC
Re: UAI screwed thanks to english

Davadale said:
well as others have suggested before, english is such a bad subject, i am awesome in every other subject and crap in english, and as a result my UAI will be DRAGGGED down

english should NOT be compulsory as 2 units in the overall UAI, it should be treated like every other subject

anyone agree??
haha I am the strongest believer in this concept ever.

There is no WAY that it should count to the UAI if its not in your best 10 units.

Who cares - make it compulsory, but if it's not the students best subject it shouldn't count. Plus they arn't even teaching us real english.

My ranks are 1st, 1st, 4th, 19th, AND 51ST!! its gunu kill me..

chook 05

Sum Fulla
HSC
english is pathetic :lol:
yeah i reckon something useful like consumer arithmatic or computers should be compulsary.. like a skill everyone will need in work!
jee i failed paper 2 ..

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
my english will be about 5 marks off the rest, as im goin for mid-high band 6's in everything else, and english im on trak for high band 5, so yeh its gonna drag down my UAI,

BUT... not that much - its only 2 units out of 10 units, so the difference between me gtting say 87 and 92 in English, wiht regards to my UAI may be 98.90 vs 99.05 - essentiall negligible

xJennax

HSC
I think most people would still choose English even if it wasn't compulsory, just because it would be expected students did it. I do maths even though I don't like/not very good at it, because it's just considered a good subject to have on your HSC lol.
I guess if English just didn't count if you had enough units, then that's fair enough.

o7nesss

Behind that Tree
HSC
Re: UAI screwed thanks to english

Davadale said:
well as others have suggested before, english is such a bad subject, i am awesome in every other subject and crap in english, and as a result my UAI will be DRAGGGED down

english should NOT be compulsory as 2 units in the overall UAI, it should be treated like every other subject

anyone agree??
urghh i totally agree!!
i try so hard and all that in english..its CRAZY!!!
and the most i can get is friggin 65!!!
THIS IS BS!

Njn

nvrB♯nvrB♭.alwaysB♮
HSC
Agree. I hate english. Just when I seem to do well, my marks seem to be all the way... down there. Oh well, maybe I should spend less time sooking and workin on english. :D

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, and 94th at a selective high school.

my english mark is going to dramatically affect my uai and it pisses me off to no end, the injustice of it all. the people who are crappy at maths don't have to have it dragging down their uai.

i'd be happy if you actually learnt about the english language, not the crappy bs that we do, or you could just do the course but not count it in the end, but gahhhhhhhhhhh.

i need to stop thinking about it. it will drive me mad before the end of my hsc.

mez^-^

HSC
bahaha
you have no idea how much better this makes me feel knowing that im not the only one despairing over english
i do adv and ext1
was gonna do ext2 but i cant handle the extra workload
if i could do ext2 and not ext1 it would be so much better
why did i choose it if i sucked so much?
its because i WAS good at it... for a short period of time
and if i chose anything less, my teacher would have probably decapitated me.
i likED english
until i started failing epically
XD
it's like i cant write ANYTHING in the time limit
even if i was given 5 hours i couldn't shpiel anything
it's like i have a permanent english mind block
my teacher says im under a curse
and it will go away if i practise more
problem is i cant bring myself to practise because it just makes me want to dig a hole and die in it.
its depressing
is there anyone else who shares my sentiments?
^-^

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
AHA i'm glad i'm balanced brained (to some degree) and i do well in both my english-y subjects as well as my logical subjects.

But my UAI would undoubtedyly be higher if English didn't HAVE to count towards my UAI :(

dp624

HSC
MEEEE!!! ENglish is my worst subject by far

latinorulz

HSC
You're all such crybabies. Boo Hoo, you can't write the essay your teacher wants. So? Learn how to. If your UAI depends on 10 units, and 2 of those units are compulsory English, then you can't change that. What you can change is how you deal with it.

So deal.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
latinorulz said:
You're all such crybabies. Boo Hoo, you can't write the essay your teacher wants. So? Learn how to. If your UAI depends on 10 units, and 2 of those units are compulsory English, then you can't change that. What you can change is how you deal with it.

So deal.
some people aren't that gifted with words.

and if you're only here to insult people who hate english, why are you in this forum?

clearnote

HSC
HELL YEAH !

I hate English, I don't understand how they can give us marks on how we interpret such a subjective concept.

There's nothing in the syllabus that says exactly WHAT we need to know, so how do we know if we're studying the right thing?

ESPECIALLY when good English teachers are so hard to come by ! GAHHH.

raisondetre

HSC
LOL. I'm going to sound like a complete nutter but I absolutely love English ;D Perhaps if you tried to enjoy it then you'd do better?

dp624

HSC
raisondetre said:
LOL. I'm going to sound like a complete nutter but I absolutely love English ;D Perhaps if you tried to enjoy it then you'd do better?
lol i try to enjoy it too

sorta...

rajputsingh

HSC
muffin55 said:
yeahh, english will probably bring me down.

Say if you get around 77 for adv. english and in the 80's and above for everything else... will it affect u a lot?

in my opinion yes it will for example this year around 40 percent i believe of people got either a band 5 or 6 in english so if u get a 70 u will be scaled down well at least u will this year like my friend he got high 80;s like i mean 89's 88's in the so called "scaling subjects" such as 3 and 4 unit maths however got a band 4 in english and he got a high 80 uai like 89 and using sam if he was to get 80 in english his uai would have been a 94-95 so try hard i hated english but i put in some effort for the hsc and brought my mark from 62 in the trial to eventually get 81 as my final hsc mark...as my teacher says english is the ability to bullshit and being able to convince others-thats all it is

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
clearnote said:
HELL YEAH !

I hate English, I don't understand how they can give us marks on how we interpret such a subjective concept.

There's nothing in the syllabus that says exactly WHAT we need to know, so how do we know if we're studying the right thing?

ESPECIALLY when good English teachers are so hard to come by ! GAHHH.
This is where using your brain comes in.

HSC
latinorulz said:

So deal.
i agree!

shakky15

HSC
in the end it was english that fucked me over. Well, not exactly the exam but more the teachers at my school.. my assessment mark was 83 but i scored a 88 in the actual exam, so i got 86 for it overall.. no doubt my UAI would have been comfortably over 97 had i got the 88 i deserved.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)