anyone know how ancient scales? (1 Viewer)

Whoa!

HSC
If it scales badly I'm even more boned than I thought I was. Looks like I know which of my subjects will not be counted in the UAI calculation!

live.fast

HSC
N/A
Well, you know the HSC marks that BOS reveals? i.e. the aligned mark? You want to be aiming for around a mid-band 6 aligned mark, if you don't want Ancient History's scaling to work against you.

BUT a mid-band 6 aligned mark is easier to achieve than you think! From past results, I'd say you need a upper band 5 / lower band 6 raw mark in the exam to recieve a reported mid-band 6 result. Achieve that, and scaling should be okay for you.

cottonmouth

HSC
you can look on the BOARD of studies.. they have all the information.. statistics... etc... what was the highest uai achieved in each subject... bla bla bla... how many people did it. blahb albha.

its all on there.

riddimz

HSC
my advisor says that regardless of any 2unit subjects, they all scale DOWN, but how much it scales by depends on the subject. for example, cafs and senior science would definitely scale down if u get a low mark.. if u get a mark of 85+ i think.. you'd be okay. In general, its really the 3unit subjects, such as math and english extension that scales..

georgefren

HSC
shouldn't matter how scaling works as long as the raw mark you get is good enough. and i'd say that scaling for ancient would be no WORSE than any other 2 unit subject ... i hope, anyway.

X

xeuyrawp

Firstly: I have yet to read a post in this thread which shows that the person has an understanding of various moderation systems, so ignore what anyone else says.

See attached.

The most common problem when people refer to 'scaling' is that people mix many, many things up. Probably most common is people mixing up the data on the left (to do with the HSC) and data on the right (to do with the UAIs).

Secondly: It is irrelevant talking about this. Apart from subject choice (which I'll come to in a sec) students have no control over the moderation systems. Will you somehow magically change the moderating, aligning, or averaging processes? No.

With regards to subject choice, students should not chose subjects on 'scaling'. This is for many reasons including, but not limited to the fact that students empirically do better in subjects for which they have a passion. Ie, students who chose subjects based on notions of 'scaling' may not do as well as students who chose subjects based on ability and enjoyment.

Lastly: Scaling is not about 'difficulty', it's about students performing at certain levels. Whether ancient is harder than modern is irrelevant for each student - a student should chose every subject based on whether they want to do it.

That being said, I'm really sick of Ancient being compared to Modern as a subject in the HSC, as students should just do whatever they want and stop pretending like they are superior because of xbullshit fact they made up. I really think students interested in history generally should try the five units worth.

So, consult the attached file before making any more ridiculous comments.

Bainesy

HSC
that diagrams too complex

i think ancient, like business, scales poorly compared to other 2u courses like chem or eco because biz and ancient are the most commonly picked courses in the state if im not mistaken. so naturally a lot of people are doing crappy

but then again if you ace it and do well, scaling is virtually irrelavent, which is the mentality you should have. if your doing your best, you shouldnt worry about scaling

X

xeuyrawp

Bainesy said:
that diagrams too complex

i think ancient, like business, scales poorly compared to other 2u courses like chem or eco because biz and ancient are the most commonly picked courses in the state if im not mistaken. so naturally a lot of people are doing crappy

but then again if you ace it and do well, scaling is virtually irrelavent, which is the mentality you should have. if your doing your best, you shouldnt worry about scaling
The diagram is the most simple way to convey the two processes. It is obviously the processes which are complicated. And you are mistaking that only the number of people has anything to do with 'scaling'. Btw, if you actually looked at the diagram, you would actually see what happens.

Yes it is complicated, but (again) the only thing to say is that students should/can only worry about:
1) Picking courses they enjoy and do well in,
2) beating their year mates in the internal assessments, and
3) helping their year mates beat other schools in the external assessments.

Numbers 1-3 will literally have >90% effect on both final marks and UAI. The rest is just what people talk about to feel confident in their inadequacies. Personally, my choice to exclusively chose subjects I wanted to do was rewarding because not only did I cane the HSC, but I was able to hit university with an interest in what I was doing.

If you're interested in adding another number, I would suggest:
4) After the HSC, complaining to the State government to have the UAI system much more transparent.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)