Anyone studying/studied in UNSW (Commerce)? (1 Viewer)

cloud7

HSC
N/A
Hello all, I am new here.
Firstly, i would like to more about the commerce course structure?
The one listed on the website shows only the core subjects.
# ACCT1501 Accounting and Financial Management 1A
# ACCT1511 Accounting and Financial Management 1B
# ECON1101 Microeconomics 1
# ECON1102 Macroeconomics 1
# ECON1202 Quantitative Methods A*
# ECON1203 Quantitative Methods B*

I intend to do Accounting and Finance majors, anyone doing the same majors please englighten me regarding thel 3 year structure of the commerce course.

I am just wondering how is the workload (tons of assignments??) in UNSW?

I heard that UNSW's commerce course tends to be more practical and not so theory-based (pardon me if I am wrong.

How are the facilities in UNSW like, such as wireless etc and how are the lecturers for the commerce course like? =)

Lastly, how is life in UNSW and Sydney? (ironically, i had been to sydney airport for 4 times but have never went to explore the city itself)

Sorry for asking so many questionw, thanks a lot in advance mates. :)

gman03

HSC
cloud7 said:
I am just wondering how is the workload (tons of assignments??) in UNSW?
Typically a commerce student has ~10 hours per week at uni. I think the workload is average but some people even complains about that. I know there are lots of readings. Average assessments (like mid-session quiz, a major work and exam etc) Workload is proportional to the grades you want to get, but for the average grade the workload is reasonable.

cloud7 said:
Lastly, how is life in UNSW and Sydney?
Life in UNSW and Sydney is flexible. You choose what you want. If you want party you get party. If you want sports you gets sport. Some people spends 25hrs per day study while some people spend only 6 hrs per semester (including exam time). Atmosphere is reasonable, but don't rely on public transport if you intend to be punctual to anywhere.

MAICHI

HSC
N/A
cloud7 said:
I intend to do Accounting and Finance majors, anyone doing the same majors please englighten me regarding thel 3 year structure of the commerce course.
Did you go to the open day? They gave out a plan for Accounting and Finance double major I think. You should email the accounting school asking them for a copy of the plan.

Yes I think UNSW is more practical as in less writing and more multiple choice + calculation questions.

There isn't much assignments I don't think, no assignments for accounting1b and finance1613 this session.

cloud7

HSC
N/A
Sorry, I am an overseas student FYI.
I am now tied down to 2 choices, UQ or UNSW. I am not sure which will be a better environment to study..

Acid

HSC
cloud7 said:
Sorry, I am an overseas student FYI.
I am now tied down to 2 choices, UQ or UNSW. I am not sure which will be a better environment to study..
I think it's pretty safe to say that UNSW has the best Commerce degree in Australia. The workload depends on how easily you can pick things up and if you're generally interested in the subject matter.

Personally, I don't go to any lectures, so I have 4 hours of Uni per week which consists of tutes only. Then a few days before an exam I print out the lecture notes, go through the slides and homework questions, and find that it's all fresh in my mind (until I finish the exam, that is). It's a method that's worked for me thus far.

Different strokes for different folks I guess...

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Come to UNSW, it's probably more expensive than UQ (in terms of fees and also general living expenses), but you'll enjoy Sydney as a city more than up in QLD :)

jonathan__

HSC
Well seeing that the thread for commerce has been started, how many hours a week do u guys (ppls in commerce) study out of uni?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
My sister did Comm and I'm planning to do Comm there too. Anyhow if you want to know about the Finance elective/subjects (don't know what the correct term is) which you can pick are- give UNSW a buzz and tell them to send you the Fac book... inside it gives you a long list of options which you have to pick 7 from I think? Eg. Investment Modelling, Corporate Finance, etc..

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
jonathan__ said:
Well seeing that the thread for commerce has been started, how many hours a week do u guys (ppls in commerce) study out of uni?
Depends on subject.
Some people get by doing nothing all semester and just cramming for assessments/finals.
Normally, if you're a diligent student, you should be doing about 1-2 hours of tute work every week per subject (the 10 hours they recommend is simply unrealistic)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
^ u serious? I'm an abc (aussie born chinese)... didn't know that. When I was young there was alot more racism than there is now (phew!).. I quit like Australia.

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
seremify007 said:
My sister did Comm and I'm planning to do Comm there too. Anyhow if you want to know about the Finance elective/subjects (don't know what the correct term is) which you can pick are- give UNSW a buzz and tell them to send you the Fac book... inside it gives you a long list of options which you have to pick 7 from I think? Eg. Investment Modelling, Corporate Finance, etc..
Some finance subjects aren't as interesting as they sound ;)

Oh, have a question for those doing comm

If your doing 2 majors, that require the same core subject. (e.g. fins1612/3) this means that u've done 1 core subject for "finance" and 1 core subject for .. "business strat" or "econometrics" ... which then means you just end up choosing additional elective units for both majors ?

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Grizzly said:
Some finance subjects aren't as interesting as they sound ;)
I've heard it too often so it's lost all meaning =P

I looked at the list and I pretty much picked the investment modelling, the futures/options/etc.., the international finance one and the corp. finance ones. But I'll wait and see~

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Yeh, i'm going to do the Options / Futures sub next year.

Sharpshooter

Random Hobo
HSC
Grizzly said:
Oh, have a question for those doing comm

If your doing 2 majors, that require the same core subject. (e.g. fins1612/3) this means that u've done 1 core subject for "finance" and 1 core subject for .. "business strat" or "econometrics" ... which then means you just end up choosing additional elective units for both majors ?
umm i dont quite get your question but if you mean what i think you do...

suppose you do fins1612, thats needed for a major in finance as well as a major in financial economics. if you do the course, pass n all, then you only need 6 more majors (assuming double majors) in finance and 6 more in financial economics. how does that add up? well it means you get more options at the end of your course (1 more in this case). you still only do 7 courses for each major, you just get extra courses as options (courses within the faculty of commerce n ecos that arent from your major streams)
on the other hand if your talking about core subjects... for instance if your doing an accounting major, all commerce and economics students must complete ACCT1501 (1a) and ACCT1511 (1b), so a student with an accounting major will already have completed 2 out of the 7 majors they need at the end of first year (once again assuming double major, 7 a piece). however in the case of accounting most students want the required subjects for the CA/CPA programs so you need a few business law electives (and an info sys one for CPA) which take up any extra options you have
hope i got that right :S

edit: hey wait... your a 2nd year... shouldnt you be telling me this stuff :\

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)