anyone work at dick smith (1 Viewer)

noneother

the Cho is great
HSC
I got an interview this Tuesday at Dicksmith Powerhouse. Any tips? What kind of Qs do they ask?

Darth Figgy

Angel of Music
HSC
How long ago did you apply? I've applied for one of their stores but haven't heard yet.

ZabZu

HSC
Darth Figgy said:
How long ago did you apply? I've applied for one of their stores but haven't heard yet.
Did u apply via the woolworths system?

I did and I'll probably have to renew my application again before they contact me. They are so slow.

Kulazzi

HSC
I don't think he/she wanted to hear all the bad parts about DS just before they go in for the interview

noneother

the Cho is great
HSC
I've got a lot happening. I went to the Woolies group interview session (almost same scenario as Dickies?) and have to go for a 2nd interview.

Dick smith pays shit? That sucks!

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
mattycoss said:
yeah i had a job at the new dick smith store at st ives

if your 18 like me u will get paid $8.30 per hour, as a part time rate, but they will still use you as a casual

cya later
u serious 8.30? if yuor 18. macas pays like 10+ if yuor 18 ,i thought dicksmithwould be more respected. i reckon all the electronics got to his head, i wouldnt work for no less then 10 bucks if i was 18

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
SashatheMan said:
u serious 8.30? if yuor 18. macas pays like 10+ if yuor 18 ,i thought dicksmithwould be more respected. i reckon all the electronics got to his head, i wouldnt work for no less then 10 bucks if i was 18
yeah but 8.30 is the part time rate

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
mattycoss said:
if your boss is anything like my faggot manager was - nick dhami - then he will try to get you into the store an hour before your shift starts, and a minimum of an hour and a half after your shift finishes.......all 'in your own time', ie for free
HAHA! I worked at St Ives the 2nd day it was open to bring some 'experience' to the store... We were down by $40 and he was going to get us, the staff, to cover it. I stayed silent waiting for him to ask but he said this time he'd let it slide... If he did I was so going to ring head office and cause shit about that. He's a dick. (No pun intended)

mattycoss said:
...totally unethical...
....it is the dodgiest employer ive ever worked for........
To stand up for DSE, you got a shitty manager.. but then, there are some major problems within the company, in my opinion, along with my managers (we get good-ish managers at Hornsby as we're a high profile store)

mattycoss said:
so after i left, i gave the guy all of my payment details. 3 weeks and 3 fonecalls later, nothing. eventually after a month i had to threaten to sue him to get my money. i received it in my account that night.
Three weeks is nothing. Took me 3 months, and 3 strongly worded letters. The last one demanded interest, then we got a new manager and I think he pulled strings...

Overall, the company's... well... you've just gotta put up with some odd shit sometimes.. Unfortunately the company doesn't support you - all a customer has to do is ring head office and they get their way. Spineless assholes. Also, DSE tends to be a magnet for dick (pun fully intended ;)) -head managers. A lot of their policies conflict, and there are conflicts of interest (and just plain out conflict, too), it'd seem, high, high up in the heirarchy of Dickies.

That said, on the issue of pay, we get as much (so I hear) as Woolies checkout/shelf stackers. Personally, I much prefer DSE, depsite the f*ingly annoying stupid customers because it's a lot more interesting (I used to stakc shelves/checkout-chick at franklins). AND you learn a lot of interesting things. AND I think that the positive side of the bad treatment, you get a LOT of experience.

Finally, you can find good cheap stuff to sell off on ebay (go the 91cent Nokia chargers which sell for $18!). That makes me very happy. :D

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
laney said:
you work there? who are you?
how long you been there for?
I'm one of the younger guys, but I've gotten good at hiding from customers, so I doubt you'll ever see me... ;) If you do catch me though, I'll probably be strutting about, showing off my boyish good looks :cool:

I've been there long enough to be cynical, impatient and frustrated and also (effectively) the weekend manager... Good combination, that.

Why? Are you a local?

laney

HSC
well i'm the sister of someone who worked there for 2 years ;)

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
SashatheMan said:
u serious 8.30? if yuor 18. macas pays like 10+
...plus the casual loading (as that's the full/part time rate, as someone said)
When I was 18 (not too long ago... matter of months, and ther ehave been no paychanges since), full/part time base rate was $11.14. Casuals got $12.07.

doe

HSC
N/A
mattycoss said:
yeah i had a job at the new dick smith store at st ives

.. words
mattycoss that sounds absolute shit. you did well though to get a different job. everyone seems to get stuck in a shit job or at a shit company once or twice in their life and you never forget it. the best thing you can do is try to ride it out as long as you can and pimp it for all its worth for instance if they offer free training (be it in sales or even your first aid certificate). then you can take that experience and training and get a better job :cool: use it as a (painful) stepping stone. from what i have seen the bigger the company the more likely they will screw you as hard as they possibly can so milk them for everything they will give.

one thing is when you quit is never burn your bridges (or at least try really really hard not too, sometimes, people are just assholes). i had a job working from home that was pretty hellish, it was very hard to get in contact with my boss which made it very hard to complete my work and i would get very frustrated. when i left i was going to go crazy at him but i bit my tounge. as i left he gave me a great reference which definately helped me get an awesome job in london. now, about four years later he has given me some (pretty well paid) parttime work for a few days a week which was just what i have been looking for. none of this wouldve happened if i had gotten angry at him.

Jessie moo moo

HSC
My bf has worked for Dick Smiths for 1 and a bit years . He always gets out late, you have to stay back while your manager counts the tills and until all the customers leave etc. So you might be expected to stay 30 mins to an hour late, without getting paid for it. My Bf works 10-5.30 4 days a week, then 10-8.30 on thursdays. He gets a 30 min break for the 10-5.30 shifts and even the 10 + hour shift. He is 23 and gets paid $13.20 an hour fulltime but was getting $17.50 on casual rates. You also have a 3 month review (but I think that is fairly common these days).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)