Application to Selective High School (1 Viewer)

StudyMate-

HSC
Hi!
I am currently in year 9.
This year I have applied for a place in Fort Street High School. My application included my Year 8 Yearly Report (Straight A's), Year 9 Half-Yearly report (6As 2Bs- PE and Commerce) and gave in some awards from competition (Distinction from Religion Test and Maths Competitions). Not long ago, I received a letter from them saying that they were impressed with my application. However, there are no places available atm, meaning that I am on a waiting list of 10 people.
Last year in 2011, this also happened except that there was a waiting list of 20 people.

So, I just wanted some tips onto getting a place at FSHS e.g. Should i try again next year?, etc.

ahdil33

HSC
Keep trying, can't see why not. Maybe try apply to a better school? If your report is good enough, some of the higher selectives do take people in in Yr 11-12.

RishBonjour

HSC
try north syd boys, i think everyone gets to do the entrance test which basically determines if you get in or not.

StudyMate-

HSC
Thanks guys for the advice! But I kinda go to a 200+ ranked school and I don't do much extra curricular activities besides competitions.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks guys for the advice! But I kinda go to a 200+ ranked school and I don't do much extra curricular activities besides competitions.
you just read what everyone said and then you thought "lol, let's pretend they said the opposite" didn't you?

aeleria

HSC
Definitely try out in Year 10 for Year 11. There is usually about 20 spots which are open :)

The Fort Street Entrance Test this year was pretty tough, in my opinion of course. I couldn't handle the amount of math there was, with such limited time. Assuming from Distinctions from Maths, you'll probably be alright.

But do keep up that near/straight A report, try for other schools and you will get in whatever school fo sho.

As for extra-curricular activities, you should try volunteer for some things (library, St John's Ambulance, Salvation Army etc). For example, every year at the near end of May there is the Salvation Army Red Shield Appeal Doorknock event. They usually go around to schools to ask for student volunteers. You get a certificate, which looks nice when you apply for selective schools :D

StudyMate-

HSC
Awesomeeee! Thanks for the help and I will TRY and find an extra curricular activity that I can do :3. Just asking, what did you have to write about in the extended response in the Entrance Exam?

aeleria

HSC
Uhhh, I can't remember it too well...but I think it was something to do with the good things and bad things which impact teenagers life? The really really really deep stuff LOL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)