Applied Research Project IP (1 Viewer)

courtnez

Now, what I want is Facts
HSC
Well, I'm doing a Research project for my IP and I've figured out my hypothesis and did (and still doing!) some research/reading in the hols, however the issue is at the moment: where to from here?

I'm the only person in my class, and I think yeargroup, doing a research project for a drama IP which can make you feel very, very alone at times. I've looked at the marking criterion for this particular IP, but still am somewhat confused as to what to do regarding what I'm supposed to write as well as what format it's supposed to take. Part of the mark comes from 'presentation' - what 'presentation' does this refer to? Just typed? or does it need to be bound with some sort of super triple plus amazing glue that will woo the examiners into a toxic fume stupor?

I'm going to Onstage next Tuesday anyway, and I'll take a peek at the projects from last year to gain some furthur understanding - but in the meantime I'd still very much appreciate some tips etc.!

Thank you!

-Courtney :)

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Okay, afaik, with the expecption of one other girl on here, I was the only one to do Applied Research Project last year, and she was shortlisted for OnStage, so if you're around, please respond :)p) but here is my opinion.

My achillies heal... I wasn't prepared for change! I sat there, and I worked on the same pointless ideas that were going no where. When I finally made the change, it ws too late. I had a great idea, but it was underdeveloped. So that is something I must stress to you. Ideas change, your research will change. Don't fight it.

From here you keep reading, and drafting, reading and drafting. Often in your research you find a great little tid-bit that seems really interesting, read into it. Dont stick to a beaten track. I did the "This is what I wanna find out" and ignored the "this is interesting" till the end.

Presentation. Its your language used. Proabably what brought me down... I didnt have enough time to redraft! thats SO important. Make your essay readable. Just be succinct. To the point. Make sure every sentance has a point.

Although pictures and binding don't make a difference, they can be an influence. But only if they ENHANCE your major work. I.e. If your doing directors folio, it'd be nice to show the marker the point your trying to make visually. I did mine on Company B Belvoir, and so my pictures were all of the 'original' fixtures of the building that have been changed somehow. I.e. the actual external building, the foyer... etc. I think they're important, make a nice package for your major work, you wouldn't give a birthday gift that wasnt wrapped nicely (terrible analogy, i know :p).

Structurally, it can take whatever form you want. Straight essay. The report in the form: Hypothesis, research.. etc. (I'm yet to see one that took that form be successful!), or what I did, essay under headings. Just make sure you find the way to let you get your point across.

Hope this helps.

courtnez

HSC
Thanks very much! It was very helpful. But let's keep this place around in case of any other issues jabend? Hurrah.

Do you know how many people in the state did an ARP for Drama last year? Apparently the candidature for this one isn't very large... hmmmmmmm. ponder ponder ponder.

Thanks again!

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Okay, in the 'old' days (old syllabus) in the Examination reports they told you the approximate candititure for each project, however this stopped with the new syllabus. In the old ones, on average, no more than 50 ARPs were submitted. This has not changed too dramatically and I would assume the numbers are still around this point. Just remember that Critical Analysis is one of the least popular groups, and ARP probably the least popular project within that catergory.

Of course, this is both really good, and really bad, because it means that you'll have some Brilliant ones and some really crap ones but very few mediocre ones to compete against. Most people who do this project are either VERY good at what they do, or VERY bad at it (note that I said MOST).

Do yourself a favour, go to http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc_exams/hsc2000exams/index.html and check out the examination reports for all the years up until 1995 (ARP has basically not changed in its specifications) and be sure to look at all the ones from 2001-2004 (when they become available). Read this stuff and understand it, because its an important part of your research.

HSC
Heya,
yeah like will said make sure every point has a purpose. The points under presentation (or execution) (10%) are:
effectiveness in presenting and organising the project
and clarity and accuracy in the use of language
I'd say presentation is more the way you've organised your research project, adressing every part of your hypothesis and linking everything you say back to it as much as you possibly can. I did my ARP on Stanislavski and method acting and my hypothesis had many parts to it, so I spent so much time cutting and rewording stuff in it so it answered and referred to the hypothesis in everything that was said.
Another major part of it would be your writing style as Will said. Markers are looking for APR's that flow in with intellegent writing that states information in a flowing, chronological manner. Essay structure, structuring sentances well and a sophisticated writing style basically.
I guess the appearance of your research project would help, mine was double spaced, in a reasonable sized font on pale blue coloured paper and bound. So i didn't really put too much effort into the appearance of the actual thing, no pictures or anything like that.
Hope i've helped a little,
good luck

courtnez

HSC
Thanks heaps!

I went to OnStage last week as well, and looking at the ARP's they had there really gave some clarity to what I have to aim for/conduct/etc.

Thanks again :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)