Archaeology.. useless? (1 Viewer)

cheese!

HSC
Lately my parents have been complaining about my interest in studying ancient history or archaeoloy at uni and the prospects of getting a decent job at the end of it.
I was wondering if there's anyone here who has, or is studying one of these, and would be able to give me something to tell my parents... and symphasise with me at the questioning looks I get everytime I tell someone what I want to do.
Honestly, history isn't THAT boring.

HSC
Traditionally, archaeologists have been employed as academics in universities and museums. More recently, achaeologists also work as consultants and cultural heritage managers, often on a part-time basis. Consultancy work involves research, fieldwork, report writing and liason with clients and stakeholders. Cultural heritage managers are employed in federal and state government departments.

Competition for the limited number of positions is intense and only the best qualified graduates can expect to be successful. Undertaking relevent voluntary work may increase the possibility of gaining a job in this field.
Jobguide 2006

Last edited:

spence

HSC
Tbh, most arts majors aren't going to get you directly into a job, its really more about the skills you pick up during the degree. That said, a career can be made from archaeology, it will just be very competitive

Last edited:
HSC
It also depends what sort of a career you are looking for. If you a looking for highly paid and constant work, archeology/history probably isn't for you.
However, if you are interested in doing some voluntary work, and are really passionate about your area of interest, or are not particularly concerned about earning a lot of money, then by all means follow this path. Historians can do many things, from writing history novels and teaching to researching, museum curatorship or advising, or even film/television production (think Attenborough, but history not nature!).
Likewise there are many opportunities for archeologists if you are willing to travel/work at low or no pay. There are many interesting archeological ventures in obscure regions of the world where little work has been done before, and often interesting discoveries are made. I believe that a lot of archeology ventures in remote areas are probably self-funded, or perhaps sponsored by museums or history foundations, but if it is something you are passionate about, I personally think it could be very exciting. If you do a double major in history/archeology, I would imagine the opportunities are there especially in museum work/restoration, or research.

Don't let people put you off history or archeology just because they don't think it would be interesting, or because their view of a successful career is one in which copious amounts of money are earnt. If you think it's interesting and are willing to work hard and create your own opportunities, don't let anyone talk you out of it!

Here is an article from earlier this year which might give you some inspiration: http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/05/05/2236033.htm

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
cheese! said:
Lately my parents have been complaining about my interest in studying ancient history or archaeoloy at uni and the prospects of getting a decent job at the end of it.
Perhaps you could tell your selfish and ignorant parents that you've decided to experiment with drugs while earning some cash on the streets as a two-bit transsexual hooker. That way, they'll be only be immeasurably grateful when you tell them six months later that you're actually thinking of going back to uni. They'll be thanking god and will stop being so critical and controlling of what you want to do with your future. That'll put things in perspective for them.

PS. Back when I was at uni I had an elective left over before completing my non-arts degree. I decided to do one semester of first year archaeology and I absolutely enjoyed it. If I had to go back and complete my undergraduate again, I'd probably major in archaeology with an arts degree.

Last edited:

D.

Blurg!
HSC
N/A
I had an archaeologist for quite a few of my courses and he said to us that there is a massive demand for them in Cultural Resource Managemenet and Salvage archaeology (look them up) in Australia.
Being an American, he was quite surprised by this, especially since even those with masters or even just honours were in demand for it.

James MacKenzie

HSC
I'm in the same boat, although I've decided that if you do education or something along those lines, you wont be left out on the streets when there is not work to be had.

Arabique

HSC
I had an archaeologist for quite a few of my courses and he said to us that there is a massive demand for them in Cultural Resource Managemenet and Salvage archaeology (look them up) in Australia.
Being an American, he was quite surprised by this, especially since even those with masters or even just honours were in demand for it.
Yes, Ive heard this as well
Lots are needed in Indigeneous Archaeology as well and Cultural Conservation.
LaTrobe University in Melbourne has a course which includes placements with a company of such, you should really look into it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)