Architecture any1? (1 Viewer)

OhMaJuck

HSC
hi i'm a current year 12 student and i was wondering hows architecture up in new castle like? Bachelor of Architecture!!

and can any1 describe how to get in to that course??? uai of 83? is that all u need or port folio interview??

can do u regret getting in to architecture??? what are the good points about new castle uni and the course? and the bad point about it?? i noe its 5year course

please just list the things about architecture please any thing will be great i guess ty

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
i did architecture for a week...

I made this thread ages ago when i was deciding what i was going to do:
http://community.boredofstudies.org/593/general-university-newcastle/80037/architecture-uncle.html
As you will notice, no architects replied. Why? my theory is because there is A HELL OF A LOT OF TIME-CONSUMING, DETAILED AND STRESS-INDUCING WORK and they simply dont have time to bum around on internet forums. I read somewhere that "no-doze" is the friend of an architecture student.

Architecture at UNCLE has no exams and whilst that may seem great it means that all the assessments are weighted higher. All of the assessments i was told about required some sort of technical drawing (as one would expect) as a result, previous experience in technical drawing would be very much beneficial. I didnt have that so i sort of freaked out a bit...ok, a lot.

The course at UNCLE is very much more focused on the construction side of architecture than the design focus adopted by other universities. The uni justifies this by saying that "A building might look great on paper, but an engineer has to be able to build it". This didnt make me happy because as far as i was concerned that was the resposibility of the engineer, not me. I'm guessing that the course is more construction-based because it is cheaper to shove the architecture students in together with the construction management students as it cuts down on the number of courses required and thus staff. The Uni, as you probably know, isnt renouned for it's brilliant finances...

Apparantly the career prospects for architects arent that great in australia. Furthermore, whilst the course is 5 yrs the uni does encourage students to take a break after 3rd yr to experience the workforce... one of my tutors when i did the course spent two years working in sydney and said it was horrible because the pay was terrible and you arent really given a great deal of responsibility to do anything major (after all you're 'just a student')

You really have to love what you're doing, because 5+ years is a long time to hate something. the rest of your life is even longer. Obviously, i am bias in my description because i didnt enjoy the course. Unfortunately, the architecture course doesnt appear much in the university open days so whenever you get a chance to chat to someone take advantage of it.

The is no portfolio needed nor an interview.

And "Newcastle" is one word.

Last edited:

axie

HSC
N/A
Friends don't let friends study architecture ... especially at Newcastle.

I might get around to doing a proper reply after I catch up on some sleep, something us architecture students only get to do once a week at best. The highwayman is pretty much right. Shit pay, shit work, shit "profession". I'd seriously suggest you do a LOT of research before sending off that application ...

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
you are not allowed to attend the university until you learn that the city is spelled as one word - NEWCASTLE!!

mrbassman

0.38 posts per day...meh
HSC
PrincessSJ said:
you are not allowed to attend the university until you learn that the city is spelled as one word - NEWCASTLE!!
thats the least of the problems i think

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
mrbassman said:
thats the least of the problems i think
I just read the whole post... you're right... I got stuck on "new castle" and didnt look much further....

kinda glad you wont be my student!

fi_babezy

Stealing is Looking
HSC
OhMaJuck said:
hi i'm a current year 12 student and i was wondering hows architecture up in new castle like? Bachelor of Architecture!!

and can any1 describe how to get in to that course??? uai of 83? is that all u need or port folio interview??

can do u regret getting in to architecture??? what are the good points about new castle uni and the course? and the bad point about it?? i noe its 5year course

please just list the things about architecture please any thing will be great i guess ty
I've read the post and pffft, it mostly sounds like heap of generalised crap.

How can you really know what architecture is like after a week or two??

How can you be so quick to criticise a course that you havent even lasted a semester in.... Frankly, I think it's a good idea to have construction based subjects included in the course.

As for Construction students...they sure as hell know a lot more about what's going on with the building structurally. How can an architect design to the best of their ability, if they don't understand the ecology of the materials they using, or the technology behind it. It;s the lack construction knowledge that makes architects the butts of engineering jokes...I'm all for the world of living it up with conceptual like designs (conceptual= structurally stupid)....but the reality is buildings all serve a purpose: and can only serve that purpose with good design. The construction subjects...to some extent may be a drag- but we've got to know this stuff...

Would i reccommend Newcastle over Sydney, would I reccommend Architecture at all? I think what is the most important thing here, is whether you'd be suitable for architecture...Sure there's the pressure of having the bigger assessments... but after the first big one you're over it....! i dont know what type of person is best suited for this course...(except that i dont think i'd do any other ....) Mmm i think i picked it because i liked art, maths and english- and tended to like creativeness with a sense of order and purpose the best out of all those...but your reasons could be entirely different.

I've got a friend at Syd doing architecture: from what I can gather it's a good course there...competitive (pass or fail grade), more book work, good phases mmm different sort of environment though.

I'd describe architecture here as.........fun ppl, hard work....(but a different sort of work to what your friends from other courses will be doing), rewarding, the ppl from other years are willing to stop and help you, mm REALLY AWESOME STUDIO...... and most ImPORTANTLY...it's just what you make of it...you can make it a good time or you can make it the BEST of times

MrMe

Your Bestest Best Friend
HSC
Hav to say i'm glad its more construction based! will suit me down to the ground and just makes sense to me! well i'm planning on studying arch at new next year with any luck.

fingers crossed

MrMe

Your Bestest Best Friend
HSC
Well Arch at Newcaslte is my first Preference! Should ahve know problem getting in... well hopefully. Is there anyone else about whos the same?

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
MrMe said:
Well Arch at Newcaslte is my first Preference! Should ahve know problem getting in... well hopefully. Is there anyone else about whos the same?
did you even read the beginning of the thread??

HSC
As I read the beginning its as if I started this thread. I am currently doing year 12. Although I am as well interested in studying Architecture at University of Newcastle. I have had my mind set on the field since year 9. I can't really picture myself doing anything else. Although it is a worry that some of you comment upon there being few positions in the Architectural field as I have initially thought that it was a large market.

MrMe

Your Bestest Best Friend
HSC
PrincessSJ said:
did you even read the beginning of the thread??
yes i did thank you... i was simply trying to find out who put it as number one for their preferences for 2007

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)