architecture (1 Viewer)

reynaldo

HSC
N/A
im starting next year........................................................hopefully

texta

yeah im thinking about doing it next year
for those who are already doing it.. whats uts like? do you think its better than sydney uni?

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
texta said:
yeah im thinking about doing it next year
for those who are already doing it.. whats uts like? do you think its better than sydney uni?
check the b (arts) architecture thread in the UTS forum

DaRanjed

Architecture sounds good...especially after looking at the link in johnson's signature.

Am I severely disadvantaged if I don't work well with my hands?
You know...building those little model buildings.

Is it easy to get jobs?
I'm interested in designing for communities who NEED buildings..like those in 3rd world countries.

How long is this course? I'm confused. Is it 2 years or 3 years?

Can someone please explain the difference between Architecture and Arts in Architecture?

I'm better at drawing cartoon characters than buildings...do I have plenty of time to learn and be creative?

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
lots of questions
umm
1. no you aren't disadvantaged if you don't work well with your hands- you can learn (i have), and architectural design isn't JUST about building models. drawings are just as important.
2. there are lots of jobs for architects available, although generally they are for architects with a bit of experience already. you gotta start low (like architectural assistant) as with any other career.
3. i only became interested in architecture for humanity as a result of the asia tsunami, but its definitely something i want to go into now- sustainable architecture in developing countries. i hate the shit design projects we get in uni which are tailored to design for the rich.
4. course is 3 years of the B (arts) in architecture, and then a further 2 year postgraduate B Architecture to become a professional architect. you need both.
5. learning and creativity is up to you-read lots of design magazines and books, expose yourself to a lot of architecture and you will be inspired instantly.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I'm going the UNSW Architecture program,
I can't wait.... I wanted to do design, or law/arts... but i've come to sorta a crossroads i think in architecture where i can design but still have a fairly solid sustainable type of career.

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
that's interesting, that's exactly what i thought two years ago
good luck :)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
lol and what do you think now.... my cousin dropped out after two years... i've heard some bad things about it but like, i've just got a bit of a drive for it right now.

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
which uni did your cousin go to?
5 of my friends have dropped out since we started the course 2 years ago..and about a dozen or so other people in the course have also dropped out.

um i guess now i've realised architecture is (in the real world) like 5% design and a lot of BS-ing and client liasons and crap. but i've also realised that architecture doesn't have to be just about designing 'nice looking buildings' for 'nice looking people'.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Are u serious that's it's all BS stuff? That's why i didn't wanna get into a flat out design industry....

O well.... we'll see how i go :(

I'm kinda in it for designing nice buildings and such, my dad has a building company and if i could start up an architecture company as a part of it we could assist each other.. so it'd be alright..

I dunno tho, we'll see.....

edit: btw my cousin went to unsw, he ended up transfering to uws actually...

Last edited:

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
um ignore the BS-ing comment, not sure why i put it there

yeah i dunno, i'm probably the wrong person to ask because i've wanted to drop out about 256133 times now. been enrolled in two other unis too for different courses, then went back. oops.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
U serious?
alot of people seem to get into architecture then hate it, i guess if i dun like it after the first year it wouldn't be too hard for me to transfer to uws or uow law, but like that's probably what i'll be doing this year.

Was the BS-ing comment serious tho? Cuz i imagined there would be some BS but i'd rather focus on like the actual construction, better building methods, the like rules for building and shit like that then 'How to sell someone ur crappy house design'.

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
you won't be designing many homes if you become an architect, unless you are a heaps reknowned architect. you'll most likely be doing community projects and apartment complexes and things like that.

if you're interested more in building and construction, maybe you should look in project management or building construction, in the DAB faculty as well.

i don't hate it, its just there's a lot to learn and design is very stressful..sometimes you just get a bit disillusioned about it all

reynaldo

HSC
N/A
it seems to be a career in which you are born to do. My cousin is doing well as one and my entire family knew that he was going to be an architect since he was little.

i am not entirely sure if i will end up finishing the degree (*if i make it in).. but i will give it a chance because i enjoy designing/construction and know about all the crap (as johnson mentioned) that makes up the majority of the work involved in an architectural practice (dealing with the council, clients and builders..)

btw johnson, can i take engineering as a major? i am interested in the larger scale commercial projects in which a firm knowledge of eng. is needed.

jameswatton

i'm also hoping i get into arvhtiecture at UTS, and i'm wondering, if we do actually want to be designing apartments and the like, what chances do i ahve of getting a decent amount of a wage.. and how much practical work do you do? thanks

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
reynaldo i don't think you can take engineering as a major. you can only do things like photography and illustration and stuff as a major, you'd have to do another degree for engineering

wimmy_j the course is 100% practical work in terms of you using what you've learnt in architectural history/theory, environmental design and structure/construction to design your buildings and make models/drawings of your designs. uts isn't a heavily theoretical course.

jameswatton

thats actually what i was hoping for..
whats the going rate for graduate wages? like just out've uni..

and do you or any of your friends have jobs as assistants or whatever? would u reccomend it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)