architecture (1 Viewer)

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
yeah wimmy, you can take photography as a sub-major, you just have to take 24 credit points worth of photography subjects (which is 4 subjects) and you have a sub major

you can also have an illustrations sub major and fashion and um other ones.

not sure about graduate salaries, but a lot of students do have architectural assistant jobs paying $7-$15/hr, depending what sort of firm. i think outta my course of about 60 people, i'm 1 of about 10 people who don't have some sort of architecture job...

jameswatton

ok sweet, so, what are the benefits of the practical electives as opposed to say doing photography..

oh n would that mean that all my electives would have to be photography ones? u get 24 credit points of electives in the whole course dont you?

what im asking is are you advantaged by doing the practical electives?

now ive just got to wait until tommorw to see if i get in

Last edited by a moderator:

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
i'm confused, what do you mean by 'practical electives'

yeah you get 24 credit points of electives in the first degree, in the second degree you get another 24 credit points.

jameswatton

well, it says in the course sturture broshures ive got that u can choose architectural experince as an elective.. is that advantageous? or is it a case of not really just choose whatever elctives you feel like doing?

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
well, you're doing two different degrees (three years is the arts degree and the second two years is the architecture degree) so yeah, one submajor is possible for each degree

oh right, i see what you mean- well from what i've heard, architectural experience is advantageous in that you learn about how an archi. office works and stuff, and learn about the professional side of archi. personally, it doesn't suit my life cos im happy with my current job at a nursing home and it gives me a break from architecture. i couldn't handle architectural work 24/7 at the moment, and i'm postponing 'real' work until later.

people who work in archi. offices are very stressed out, because they have a lot on their plate. so i guess it depends what sort of person you are (whether or not you can handle pressure). anyway, it won't matter til second year so don't worry too much about it.

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
oh sick, good on ya mate

and if you decide to go through with it give me a shout, i can fill you in with all the gossip on the lecturers....and give you notes and stuff too ;)

jameswatton

thanks mate.. n yeah ive accepted it..

so now im looking forward to the whole starting thing.. heheh

jameswatton

so, how much practiacal stuff do you do in first year? or any year tfor that matter. and what kinda stuff too

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
umm well first year is sweet as if you like history/theory, cos half of the subjects are like introductions to architecture and stuff, so it's really bludgy

in first semester you do communications, which is the most important subject you'll ever do. you learn about different methods to communicate your architectural ideas. and in 1st semester we re-designed the DAB entry space, and 2nd semester we designed an exhibition space/artist's apartment.

...it was pretty boring in my opinion.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I've accepted to do B Architecture at unsw... I'm excited about it, alot of people have told me alot of crap about it, but i've thought about it and i feel i'm probably right for this course.
Hopefully i made the right decision :)

reynaldo

HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
I've accepted to do B Architecture at unsw... I'm excited about it, alot of people have told me alot of crap about it, but i've thought about it and i feel i'm probably right for this course.
Hopefully i made the right decision :)
unless your idol is Harry Seidler and you can write an essay on Norm Fosters delicate use of curvilinear proportions, then you may live to regret it..

jameswatton

so, does designing that stuff take up a lot of ur uni time? coz id much rather be drawing/makign models/doing whatever rather than theory, not that i hate history and stuff, i like it, just that im hopin there'll be a decent amount of practical stuff

oh and what are teh exams like?

jameswatton

hey, johnson, when do i start learning to use CAD? coz i got off my ass and asked this firm near my place about a part time job, and the owner said he'd be more than happy to give me a job a few days a week, if i have a little knowlegde of CAD and contstruction stuff, like what is brick veneer n how to draw a brick vener wall on CAD, as an example... im not sure what program they use there, whether its auto or turbo..

so, the poitn im trying to make is, in the first say month or so of uni, will i be able to go back there and say, hey i can draw up your designs on CAD for you now.. ??

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
oh serious fuckers man, some of us have been in uni for two years and still haven't been able to score a job, and you haven't even started and you got offered one!

okay re: design time. well, it is heavily stressed that design is the most important subject in the course, so everything you learn is related to your design projects (structure/construction/ESD/theory). you spend as much time doing practical stuff as you want- no practical stuff is done at uni, it's all done in your own time. Our studio time is actually a design 'crit', one of the scariest things you will ever ever experience......

re: exams. AHAHA. it is so sweet. in first year you'll get this guy called john phillips for history, and he'll tell you the questions for his exam. You'll get a guy called Waldo for structures, and his tests are multiple choice and open book. Plus he leaves the room sporadically and leaves his penguin in charge. And yeah I haven't had any other exams since..architecture isn't a course full of exams, just lots of assignments and design crits.

um you learn CAD in the first semester except its like a crash course in CAD for about 2 months. you learn vectorworks at UTS, nothing else. so most of CAD learning is really up to you...

jameswatton

hahaha yeah i couldnt really belive it when he said yeah come back ina couple of months.. yeah my friend had a shit at me coz she's been looking for work for about a month n i just walked into this place :D

exams = goodstuff

so, with the practical stuff, does that mean u can jsut go home.. n draw shit? im confused.. or do u mean its all in assignments..

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
umm, i think you slightly misunderstood me, when i meant you do all the practical stuff at home it means that designated design studio time (4 hours per week) is spent in class with a tutor who hammers you and rips your drawings/designs up to shreds. in the metaphoric sense of course (although some do go a bit psychotic)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)