Are any of you looking to move to San Francisco? (1 Viewer)

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Such salary figures are definitely attainable, especially when working for the larger companies (such as Google in this case). However, finding employment at that level is complex for a couple of reasons:
  • There is an emphasis on qualifications. This does not necessarily mean that individuals hoping to work for such companies must attend high-ranked universities or other institutions. Google's workforce is diverse in that regard and I have seen many people who have attended lower-ranked universities find jobs there. The relevant experience that a person has accumulated is also important as it demonstrates the person's ability to work for a larger company and perform favourably. Coupled with the intelligence aspect that you mentioned, it would be reasonable to expect that working at a company like this means working alongside some of the brightest talent.
  • There tends to be significant competition for positions offered at large companies, with hundreds (if not thousands) of applicants and candidates depending on the specific role, a lot of whom may be well-equipped to work in the role. Applicants may also be filtered, making it more difficult for a person's application to progress to further stages. This therefore constitutes a reason for enhancing your knowledge and skills to maximise your chances of working in such a role at a large company.
I hope this helps! :D

carrotsss

HSC
  • There is an emphasis on qualifications. This does not necessarily mean that individuals hoping to work for such companies must attend high-ranked universities or other institutions. Google's workforce is diverse in that regard and I have seen many people who have attended lower-ranked universities find jobs there. The relevant experience that a person has accumulated is also important as it demonstrates the person's ability to work for a larger company and perform favourably. Coupled with the intelligence aspect that you mentioned, it would be reasonable to expect that working at a company like this means working alongside some of the brightest talent.
From what I've heard a lot of the US software companies don't necessarily require being qualified degree-wise (some accept people without degrees or with a non-cs degree such as mech engineering) but its much more important to have a really good portfolio (basically just having a ton of impressive stuff on ur github) and theres also a large emphasis on how you perform in a coding interview

As you said, its definitely attainable after a bit of experience and with enough motivation - from what I've heard the work is a bit soul-draining (not everyone there is designing the flashy stuff you see all day) but once you've had a job at a FAANG company for a few years you're gonna have an amazing resume and the ability to get most software jobs in any field you're passionate about, albeit at a lower salary.

carrotsss

HSC
Also I'll add that there are definitely similar paying jobs in australia, one of my friends brother is making multiple six figures a year in web design only a few years out of uni from a mechatronics engineering degree + tafe cert 4 in programming

Interdice

HSC
Also I'll add that there are definitely similar paying jobs in australia, one of my friends brother is making multiple six figures a year in web design only a few years out of uni from a mechatronics engineering degree
No there fucking aren't. NO way there are jobs that pay 350k aud(convert) for a software engineer. If there are the jobs are much more rare. Also webdevs don't make that much

carrotsss

HSC
The US salaries are definitely better typically but all I’m saying is that there are still opportunities for similar salaries in Australia in specific positions

dav53521

HSC
No there fucking aren't. NO way there are jobs that pay 350k aud(convert) for a software engineer. If there are the jobs are much more rare. Also webdevs don't make that much
Yes there are Australia does have plenty of big software companies such as Atlassian, WiseTech and Canva they might not pay 300k they will defiantly pay 6 fig to swe. Also a web dev in the right company can make that much.

Interdice

HSC
Yes there are Australia does have plenty of big software companies such as Atlassian, WiseTech and Canva they might not pay 300k they will defiantly pay 6 fig to swe. Also a web dev in the right company can make that much.
What kind of wam at USYD or UNSW might be good for a job of this scale? Would open source projects be more important?

I'm not trying to be snarky, but why choose UTS over USYD/UNSW?

carrotsss

HSC
What kind of wam at USYD or UNSW might be good for a job of this scale? Would open source projects be more important?

From what I’ve heard projects are much more important than WAM

Interdice

HSC
From what I’ve heard projects are much more important than WAM
Yeah I can see that. On r/cscareer or whatever that subreddit is called, people there always joke about the importance of leetcode.

How difficult is getting a mark in university? I go to a non selective school, and pretty much no one gets 90 percents. For serious exams at least. For joke assignments like practicals many students get 90s and a few get 100. Getting an 80 percent at my school is considered a major acheivement, and other students will congratulate you for it. My school is ranked low though.

IS getting 80 percent in uni easier than high school? I pray it is

dav53521

HSC

UTS gave me a cadetship and I also wanted to go to UTS.

I would say probably a credit-distinction WAM at-least (depends on many factors). Projects/open source contribution can help land jobs especially with no work experince and can demonstrate competence in software development but I would say work experince will defiantly be more desirable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)